PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade pros and cons

lsutiger
November 30th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I am usually a late bloomer when it comes to upgrading to the latest and greatest version of Ubuntu. I just received my CD in the mail today and am wondering if I should really upgrade.

In the discussion following, I would like to know what are the pros and cons of upgrading from Gutsy to Ibex? Are the pros worth the time of having to setup the system again to your preferences? Any quirks with restricted drivers? Should I wait for 9.04?

Thanx for your input!

concorde106
November 30th, 2008, 02:09 AM
If I were you, I would install it on both. Ibex works like a charm on my 9 year old computer, except for the fact that there is no NVIDIA legacy resricted driver.

OrangeCrate
November 30th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Dual booting both is a good suggestion, and one that I followed for a long time. I kept 6.06 LTS in one partition, while I continued to upgrade to newer versions in the other.

There's never anything wrong with staying with a supported version, if it works well for you. My suggestion would be to stay with Gutsy on one partition, and then move to Hardy when support for Gutsy ends.

Install start-up manager from Synaptic in Intrepid, and you can manage your grub preferences from there, as to which one boots first, etc.

sstusick
November 30th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I'd wait for 9.04. 8.10 is nothing to get excited about IMO.

lswb
November 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Upgrading from gutsy to ntrepid is not supported, many people have had problems with the supported upgrades from hardy or dapper to intrepid. I agree with orangecrate, install to a separate partition and transfer your files over as you need them.

lsutiger
December 2nd, 2008, 02:36 AM
Thanx for the input! I already installed 8.10, but not extremely happy with it. Compiz has a lot of bugs, along with AWN, where it was pretty much rock solid in 8.04 on my machine, but that could be due to the ATI drivers. Virtual box gets cranky. Loading the wireless driver was a pain compared to 8.04.
I have my home folder on a separate partition, so reinstall is just an hour or so to reconfigure.

Thanx for the responses! I will try to repartition my drive and try what was advised when I get time.