PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Turn on old power supply away from computer

wilbbe01
November 30th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I have an old power supply I want to use the 12V for. I was curious what the trick was to turn it on without a computer. Some places on the net have suggested jumping the green with a ground, but this had no results for me. Reading the actual description on the PSU itself it almost sounds like white should do the trick, but no luck here either. Does anyone have any ideas?

JohnFH
November 30th, 2008, 02:23 AM
What exactly are you trying to do? Why would you want to do that?

Do not mess with any PSU like that unless you really do know what you are doing. If you knew what you were doing, you would know not to mess with it in the first place.

Power supply units are dangerous even when disconnected from the mains!

Thread closed?

gletob
November 30th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Dude take my advice get a new power supply if its for a machine your building. Don't risk your life and your shiny new computer components(if that's what you want the power supply for.) They're not that expesive unless you need a really high wattage. And if you're planning on selling and think you might sell more or need to test more PSUs in the future then you should get a Power Supply Tester (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Power+Supply+Tester&x=0&y=0) oops I didn't read your post good

Sami_Sdata
November 30th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I have an old power supply I want to use the 12V for. I was curious what the trick was to turn it on without a computer. Some places on the net have suggested jumping the green with a ground, but this had no results for me. Reading the actual description on the PSU itself it almost sounds like white should do the trick, but no luck here either. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've never tried this. It would be a good source for a cheap regulated DC supply. I've got several old PSU's out in the garage. If I get around to checking them over my days off I'll let you know if it works.

Here's a link with some instructions for this. Remember, I haven't tried this yet.
http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

wilbbe01
November 30th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I wanted the 12V for a high speed battery charger which needs 12V DC input. This charger charges model airplane batteries or whatever else you want to charge, (lipo, lithium ion, nicad, etc) In order to be safe I wanted it this way to keep the flight box with fuel and car battery outside of the house. No, I do not want it for a shiny new computer. I think I did say initially I wanted it outside of a computer case. I did finally get the thing to run without a computer (green and black together did work, must have had a bad connection initially), but the actual voltage was closer to 10.3 and not 12, so it wouldn't power the charger anyway. Thanks all.

djsroknrol
November 30th, 2008, 03:43 AM

You might take a look at this:

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

The trick is the resistor for a load..the PSU's these days won't start without a load.

I converted one for use on my train layout and it was really easy to do.

Sami_Sdata
November 30th, 2008, 04:07 AM
The trick is the resistor for a load..the PSU's these days won't start without a load.

I converted one for use on my train layout and it was really easy to do.

The site below says the same thing. You need a load on the 5VDC line to keep the 12VDC line at max. Also, the supply below was for charging model aircraft batteries.

http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

wilbbe01
November 30th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Cool, thanks for the ideas. Hopefully when the weather is gloomy I can get this working.