PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] About firefox- not an ubuntu question

josephellengar
November 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM
With the fasterfox extension, should I enable enhanced prefetching? Will it slow down my internet otherwise? Is this extension any good? It seems kind of odd that this kind of thing would not be built into the browser if it really worked. Thanks!

night_fox
November 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Yes it will slow down your internet a bit, but it depends on your starting point. Obviously if you have awesome broadband it won't affect it much because web pages are tiny. Just make sure it doesn't prefetch youtube videos.

OrangeCrate
November 30th, 2008, 03:19 AM
As mentioned, there's some speed up if you have a broadband connection, but potential slow down with slower DSL or dial up modem speeds.

A piece of trivia...

On Windows, you can end up pre-fetching malware, and antivirus programs will respond when their cached. Many savy, security conscious Windows users avoid the extension.

And remember, extensions are not "built into the browser", their developed by independent programers. There are very good ones, such as NoScript, and Adblock Plus, but many marginal to poor ones. Some will conflict with others, which can be problematic in Firefox's overall performance.

josephellengar
November 30th, 2008, 03:26 AM
And remember, extensions are not "built into the browser", their developed by independent programers. There are very good ones, such as NoScript, and Adblock Plus, but many marginal to poor ones. Some will conflict with others, which can be problematic in Firefox's overall performance.

I just meant that I thought that mozilla would build in the speedup if such a thing were really possible. Thanks!