PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your steak?

damis648
November 29th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Curious... I go for usually Rare or Medium Rare. What about you all?:popcorn: Vote now!

NintendoTogepi
November 29th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I don't eat steak anymore.

For the longest time I didn't like it, then I did, and then shortly after I found out I have a food resistance to beef. (which explains the awful stomach aches and trips to the bathroom after I eat it...stupid that it took me so long to catch on)

But when I did eat it, Medium Well I think. No pink.

Giant Speck
November 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Definitely medium rare. Sometimes medium, especially if it's a steak sandwich.

Onyros
November 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Vegetarian :p

s.fox
November 29th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I had steak with egg and chips for dinner yesterday. I like it rare to medium.

handy
November 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Alive.

Walking around & eating green stuff.

Have a look at the Earthlings.avi in my signature.

Technoviking
November 30th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Medium Rare: East of the Mississippi River
Medium: West of the Mississippi River
:)

Giant Speck
November 30th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Alive.

Eh... that's a bit too fresh. :lolflag:

Spr0k3t
November 30th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Depends greatly on the place I'm getting my steak from.

If the place is fantastic and cooks up some of the best steak around... make it moo please. If I don't trust the cockroach that served my drink, the steak had better be damn close to the consistency of charcoal.

-grubby
November 30th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Steak tastes awful and I recently went vegetarian..

JackyBox
November 30th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Alive.

Have a look at the Earthlings.avi in my signature.
But meat's good. Tasty. :)

Anyways, I was brought up to always eat my meat well-done. It's what I was used to. Only after a long time did I start to appreciate the other forms of cooked flesh. Some juice is good, but not bloody as hell.

Kingsley
November 30th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Well done sirloin, please. :)

mrgnash
November 30th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I don't eat other animals anymore, and haven't done in a long time. Even when I did, steak was something I avoided at all costs. It's simply gross.

chucky chuckaluck
November 30th, 2008, 02:11 AM
happy life, killed quickly and medium rare.

gletob
November 30th, 2008, 02:22 AM
happy life, killed quickly and medium rare.

Exactly (Except I prefer Medium) I think eating animals is OK as long as it's for our consumption. But treating them bad their whole life then torturing them to death is wrong and so is killing animals for fashion but for warmth if it's the only thing you can get it's ok)

Giant Speck
November 30th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Let's not turn this into an argument over whether eating meat is wrong or right, please.

mrgnash
November 30th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Let's not turn this into an argument over whether eating meat is wrong or right, please.

Agreed. We already know that it's wrong to eat our fellow sentients.

sstusick
November 30th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Medium/Medium Rare

gn2
November 30th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Don't like steak find it very bland and boring.

Would far rather have beef in chilli con carne or some other tasty dish.

gn2
November 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM
~ We already know that it's wrong to eat our fellow sentients.

Wrong. You and thousands of others may think so, but "we" do not.

As evidence of this I would suggest you get a clip-board and stand on any street corner anywhere in the world and ask passers by whether they eat meat or not.

You'll soon find out what "we" think on the subject.

cmay
November 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM
hamburger.

toupeiro
November 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM
<-- Devout Carnivore that appreciates fire...

Medium to medium-well

jomiolto
November 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
When I still ate meat, I wanted it extra well done, because I heard so many horror stories of the kind of illnesses you could get from uncooked meat :p

These days I'm a vegetarian, so no steak for me...

hellion0
November 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I've been a vegetarian since 2006, but before that, I liked my steak rare.

earthpigg
November 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
when an animal is killed to provide me with 30 minutse of pleasure, i prefer its flesh as close to uncooked as i can safely do.

(someone had to say it like that)

Handyman Felting
November 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I don't eat steak because I don't have my own cows and I refuse to buy steak from the corporations.

gnuvistawouldbecool
November 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I like steak reasonably well done, but all in all i'd rather eat something other than Beef or pork. Venison is good, as well as Duck, pheasant, whitebait and so on.

The best thing about Pheasant is that it's certain that pretty much the first contact it has with industry is it being shot.

gjoellee
November 30th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Medium Rare: East of the Mississippi River
Medium: West of the Mississippi River
:)

Hmmm...this planet is round so by going far enough, east, wast, north or south you will end up on the same place :)

mrgnash
November 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Wrong. You and thousands of others may think so, but "we" do not.

As evidence of this I would suggest you get a clip-board and stand on any street corner anywhere in the world and ask passers by whether they eat meat or not.

You'll soon find out what "we" think on the subject.

That should not be any more necessary than polling people as to whether they condone the slavery or honor killings of homo-sapiens. Of course, time was when a great many people did condone these things all across the globe (and in some parts, they still do), but I suspect that on some level they knew that these practices were fundamentally wrong. We are great ones for inventing all kinds of rationalizations to assuage our guilty consciences though, especially when an otherwise unthinkable act leads to gratifying outcomes, or is merely expedient in some way.

That we are closely related to other animals, even those we currently consume, and that they experience sensations and have an interest in living, can scarcely be denied by any intelligent and honest person today. So either, people are just plain callous, or they are jumping through psychological hoops in order to tamp down the resulting cognitive dissonance. I tend to prefer the latter option, but either way, I still maintain that people know that it is wrong -- whether or not their dietary habits reflect said knowledge or not.

kk0sse54
November 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM
rare or bleau, heavens knows I would never destroy a steak by nuking to well done but I guess everyone has a personal preference ;)

gn2
November 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM
~ We are great ones for inventing all kinds of rationalizations to assuage our guilty consciences though, ~

I kill animals and fish and eat them and do not feel in the least bit guilty about it.
But that's just me and I accept that other people may well have differing views.

You may be a vegan, that's your choice and fine with me, but don't start telling everyone else that they are doing something bordering on criminality by enjoying a normal diet.
What you are trying to do is foist your beliefs onto everyone else which is just plain wrong.

EdThaSlayer
November 30th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I like it well done. Hate seeing all the blood dripping from my nicely cut steak. Also, it's easier to eat the steak if it's well done.

getaboat
November 30th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Rare but not blue.

I did have a friend where waving a candle at a field of cows was sufficient. I like mine done a bit more than that.

It really needs to be seared and almost crisp on the outside and then surprisingly pink/red on the inside. It's quiet hard to do that on domestic equipment.

And rib-eye every time. Sirloin only if thick.

(Vegetarian pasta meal tonight :sad: )

hessiess
November 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I dont have steak verry ofter, but verry well done, almost burnt.

insane_alien
November 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM
i preffer it rare although i enjoy it from blue to cinders.

chucky chuckaluck
November 30th, 2008, 05:23 PM
That should not be any more necessary than polling people as to whether they condone the slavery or honor killings of homo-sapiens. Of course, time was when a great many people did condone these things all across the globe (and in some parts, they still do), but I suspect that on some level they knew that these practices were fundamentally wrong. We are great ones for inventing all kinds of rationalizations to assuage our guilty consciences though, especially when an otherwise unthinkable act leads to gratifying outcomes, or is merely expedient in some way.

That we are closely related to other animals, even those we currently consume, and that they experience sensations and have an interest in living, can scarcely be denied by any intelligent and honest person today. So either, people are just plain callous, or they are jumping through psychological hoops in order to tamp down the resulting cognitive dissonance. I tend to prefer the latter option, but either way, I still maintain that people know that it is wrong -- whether or not their dietary habits reflect said knowledge or not.

unless you're eating nothing but fruit, nuts and seeds, you're killing something for your own survival/pleasure. even then, the expanse of agriculture and the increase of human numbers is the cause of the number one threat to wild life - destruction of habitat.

NintendoTogepi
November 30th, 2008, 05:27 PM
unless you're eating nothing but fruit, nuts and seeds, you're killing something for your own survival/pleasure. even then, the expanse of agriculture and the increase of human numbers is the cause of the number one threat to wild life - destruction of habitat.

Yeah, but is killing plants on the same level as animals? :confused: No.

Actually, normal agriculture isn't really destroying the wildlife and habitat. (at least not in the civilized world...slash and burn is a different subject but that's just negligence) Know what is? Beef.

They cut down forests to turn it into cow pastures and crops to feed the cows.

chucky chuckaluck
November 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM
i'd guess real estate is the worst.

Yeah, but is killing plants on the same level as animals? :confused: No.

that's speciesist.

pp.
November 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
normal agriculture isn't really destroying the wildlife and habitat. (at least not in the civilized world

It is to a very great degree in the less civilized world such as the USA and Europe.

frankleeee
November 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Strolling across a dewy meadow. ;) and mooing.

lukjad
November 30th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Curious... I go for usually Rare or Medium Rare. What about you all?:popcorn: Vote now!
Medium, so that there is no pink.

NintendoTogepi
November 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM
It is to a very great degree in the less civilized world such as the USA and Europe.

Bah, even if so, it's still far less then meat is.

The logic of "well I'm still hurting things no matter what I do so I may as well eat meat" is terribly flawed.

P.S. I eat meat

mobilediesel
November 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Agreed. We already know that it's wrong to eat our fellow sentients.

I was gonna say that!

MikeTheC
November 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Don't tell me nobody on here eats gagh? No?

Seriously, I like my steak medium. However, I find I don't eat very much red meat any more, instead generally preferring chicken.

toupeiro
November 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Bah, even if so, it's still far less then meat is.

The logic of "well I'm still hurting things no matter what I do so I may as well eat meat" is terribly flawed.

P.S. I eat meat

I only eat humane meat..... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaONm2ccCbM) :rolleyes:

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 30th, 2008, 08:09 PM
It really needs to be seared and almost crisp on the outside and then surprisingly pink/red on the inside. It's quiet hard to do that on domestic equipment.

That's why I like cooking on a grill. I can charcoal the outside for flavor and still have it pink and bloody inside.

nintendude7cubed
November 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I personally like medium... i'm shocked i don't see more medium rare. I work at a 4 diamond restraunt and I hear mid rare like all the time...:lolflag:

steveneddy
November 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Medium rare - I never eat steak in a restaurant, we cook it ourselves at home.

Steak is never the same twice when you go out and eat and you can control exactly what you eat and how it's made.

We stopped eating out about seven years ago and even now only go out on rare occasions.

Most Vegetarians I know never knew how to cook or never tasted good food before going on an all veggie diet.

What a waste of good meat.

damis648
November 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Medium rare - I never eat steak in a restaurant, we cook it ourselves at home.

Steak is never the same twice when you go out and eat and you can control exactly what you eat and how it's made.

We stopped eating out about seven years ago and even now only go out on rare occasions.

Most Vegetarians I know never knew how to cook or never tasted good food before going on an all veggie diet.

What a waste of good meat.

I am gonna have to +1 to that. I rarely eat out... maybe lunch every other month but that's about it, and yes, many people have not tasted good food, so they do not know what they are missing.

Giant Speck
November 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM

I'm going to quote myself.

I'm going to put it in bold.

I'm going to make the text bigger.

Maybe then someone will read it. This isn't a thread to argue over ethics or morality issues. It isn't to argue whether it's wrong or right to eat meat. It's for those that do eat meat (specifically steak) to say how they like it cooked.

If you don't eat meat, especially because you are so bent against killing animals, this is not the thread for you. That's what OMGPP was for, and now it's dead. You'll have to take your philosophical argument elsewhere.

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I am gonna have to +1 to that. I rarely eat out... maybe lunch every other month but that's about it, and yes, many people have not tasted good food, so they do not know what they are missing.

I have to second that. It is Thanksgiving where I live so that meal is the most current example. My wife's family would not eat turkey and dressing until I cooked for them. They over cooked the turkey until it was dry <think choke>. They used bread stuffing which in my opinion is a bland soggy mess. They have been gathering at my house every year for decades to eat my turkey and cornbread dressing. I don't dare show them what a steak should taste like, I couldn't afford it. hehe.

Edit. When I eat meat it is halal or kosher.

gn2
November 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm going to quote myself.

I'm going to put it in bold.

I'm going to make the text bigger.

And if you ever become a moderator one day, perhaps people might pay some attention.

S0VERE1GN
November 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Interesting how a large number of us ubuntu users don't eat them there meat products.

steveneddy
November 30th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I have to second that. It is Thanksgiving where I live so that meal is the most current example. My wife's family would not eat turkey and dressing until I cooked for them. They over cooked the turkey until it was dry <think choke>. They used bread stuffing which in my opinion is a bland soggy mess. They have been gathering at my house every year for decades to eat my turkey and cornbread dressing. I don't dare show them what a steak should taste like, I couldn't afford it. hehe.

Edit. When I eat meat it is halal or kosher.

Same here. Family comes here for occasions that require good food served, and that is usually my place.

Every year Thanksgiving at my place and most birthdays here, too, thanks to my awesome BBQ and smoking meats skills.

frankleeee
November 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Rare but not blue.

And rib-eye every time. Sirloin only if thick.

(Vegetarian pasta meal tonight :sad: )

I don't generally eat steak it's to much of a hassle but to achieve the crisp outside you need to get the pan smoking hot sear it and then finish it in the oven at about 350-450 degrees depending on what your looking for at the finish.

mrgnash
November 30th, 2008, 11:32 PM
i'd guess real estate is the worst.

that's speciesist.

No, it's not; it's just drawing a sensible distinction between sentient, and non-sentient life.

mips
December 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM

I generally only go to a few select restaurants that I know are good and then I will only eat certain dishes from them. It costs but it is nice to go with friends and no one has to cook, cleanup & do the dishes :)

Georgia boy
December 1st, 2008, 02:49 AM
I love my steaks nice and rare. When you cut into the meat and a little red juice comes out so much the better. Wife hates to see it but I love it. When she's cooking, I'm standing there with my plate in hand telling her that "Mine is don!"
She says that it's still bloody, tell her that's what I'm wanting. Give me the rare and bloody.MMMMMMMM Goooooood!!!!:)

chucky chuckaluck
December 1st, 2008, 04:58 AM
No, it's not; it's just drawing a sensible distinction between sentient, and non-sentient life.

i guess we all have our ideas of what we want to tell ourselves is sensible.

damis648
December 1st, 2008, 05:01 AM
i guess we all have our ideas of what we want to tell ourselves is sensible.

We all do and let us leave it at that. This is not a thread for these kind of discussions. For anyone that still wants to debate, please make your own thread or take it somewhere else.

cardinals_fan
December 1st, 2008, 05:05 AM
I don't much like beef (I'm a poultry/fish kind of guy), but I would always get it burned to a crisp. Raw meat is revolting.

Giant Speck
December 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
I don't much like beef (I'm a poultry/fish kind of guy), but I would always get it burned to a crisp. Raw meat is revolting.

Yeah, I grew up on ground beef almost every night. It got old.

When I got out to Monterey, I was able to eat a whole range of food. Seafood, Indian, Italian, Thai... Oh, God, do I love Thai...

cardinals_fan
December 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
When I got out to Monterey, I was able to eat a whole range of food. Seafood, Indian, Italian, Thai... Oh, God, do I love Thai...
I adore Thai food...

damis648
December 1st, 2008, 05:08 AM
I adore Thai food...

+1 :popcorn:

zmjjmz
December 1st, 2008, 05:12 AM
I don't eat steak (does briscuit count? What is briscuit anyways? Am I spelling it correctly?), just ground beef.
Covered in hot sauce.
Twice.

Giant Speck
December 1st, 2008, 05:14 AM
I don't eat steak (does briscuit count? What is briscuit anyways? Am I spelling it correctly?), just ground beef.
Covered in hot sauce.
Twice.

Brisket isn't a kind of steak. It's meat from the lower chest area of the cow.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3c/Beef_%28PSF%29.jpg/180px-Beef_%28PSF%29.jpg

zmjjmz
December 1st, 2008, 05:17 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3c/Beef_%28PSF%29.jpg/180px-Beef_%28PSF%29.jpg

Thanks for the meatacular education. I honestly had no clue.

(So wait, what's the distinction between beef and steak?)

damis648
December 1st, 2008, 05:24 AM

Nice diagram... I love flank steak :-). To me it is the most flavorful.

Giant Speck
December 1st, 2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the meatacular education. I honestly had no clue.

(So wait, what's the distinction between beef and steak?)

A steak, by definition, is a cut of meat that is sliced perpendicular to the muscle fibers. It is cut that way to increase the perceived tenderness of the cut of meat.

pinguino13
December 1st, 2008, 07:07 AM
Well done and crunchy.

Icehuck
December 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
Steak should be eaten medium rare to medium. I'm convinced those who like well their steak well done don't actually like steak at all.

MikeTheC
December 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM

Oddly, the first thing I thought of when I saw this was the Monty Python sketch about the French Flying Sheep.

YouTube: Monty Python's French Flying Sheep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVJ-W6LioB8)

(There is a longer version of this which has Terry Jones and Graham Chapman discussing sheep who think they are birds and are, therefore, "up in the trees" surrounding the farm.)

Solicitous
December 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Steak should be eaten medium rare to medium. I'm convinced those who like well their steak well done don't actually like steak at all.

Well I LOVE steak, and I love it well done. If the steak is prepared properly it can be cooked well and not end up being a tough bit of meat.

That said I don't eat alot of it anymore (my gf is not really a big meat eater, used to be vegetarian)

chucky chuckaluck
December 1st, 2008, 12:58 PM
Steak should be eaten medium rare to medium.

based on what? [food]btw, your inclusion of 'medium' discredits your assertion.[/snob]

I'm convinced those who like well their steak well done don't actually like steak at all.

they just like their steak well done. one could also argue that a steak cooked well stands up better to ketchup.

Thelasko
December 1st, 2008, 09:29 PM
I always used to eat my steak well done. Then someone told me that well done is burnt and medium/medium rare tastes better.

I tried a medium rare steak and the blood was just gross, the food poisoning wasn't that fun either.

I tried a medium steak, I liked it, but once again, the food poisoning wasn't worth it.

I tried medium well, I liked it, and it sat right in my stomach too. That's all I eat now.

Really, well done isn't bad if the person cooking it knows what he/she is doing and only cooks it until the center is no longer pink and no further. It also depends on the cut of meat.

Solicitous
December 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM
Really, well done isn't bad if the person cooking it knows what he/she is doing and only cooks it until the center is no longer pink and no further. It also depends on the cut of meat.

Unfortunately a lot of places don't actually cook a steak well done. I usually ask when out for a really well done steak. When it comes it always tends to have a little bit of pink in the middle....and this is from people who are certified chefs!!!

Also on the cut of the meat, I've found (back in the days of being really strapped for cash) is with a cheap bit of meat - if you whack it a few times with a cooking mallet (and if it is pay week let it sit in cheap marinade) it can be quite good.

sharon.gmc
December 2nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
I don't eat steak now for health reasons but before I used to love my steak well done. . .

jimi_hendrix
December 2nd, 2008, 12:51 AM
medium rare...or if its fish...raw

Giant Speck
December 2nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
I always used to eat my steak well done. Then someone told me that well done is burnt and medium/medium rare tastes better.

I tried a medium rare steak and the blood was just gross, the food poisoning wasn't that fun either.

I tried a medium steak, I liked it, but once again, the food poisoning wasn't worth it.

I tried medium well, I liked it, and it sat right in my stomach too. That's all I eat now.

A less-than-well-done steak shouldn't give you food poisoning unless it's raw. A medium-rare steak, for example, has an internal temperature of 140 degrees F, which is a safe internal temperature for meat. Steaks can be eaten when not well done because the bacteria is on the surface of the meat rather than within the meat. When you grind meat to make, say, hamburger, the bacteria becomes mixed up in the meat. Therefore, ground meat must always be cooked completely well done.

71CH
December 2nd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Where's the option for black and blue?

inobe
December 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
20oz ribeye rare to medium rare with charred edges along with an ice cold specialty beer.

i can't do it any other way

CrazyArcher
December 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Medium rare to medium, depends on my mood.

inobe
December 2nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
i think age has to do with a lot of what people like or dislike !

i certainly never considered eating anything undercooked till i reached 23 years old... being brave' i tried medium well, medium, medium rare etc.. i eventually made it to rare.

whats funny is' i never knew a steak could be so good.

young and afraid i call it, i feared an undercooked piece of meat:lolflag:

that said' many should include their age in this poll !

it would be interesting to verify this theory .

ryry46d9
December 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
I like mine cooked
:lolflag:

nevercroft
December 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Medium

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
I like it "rosé".

I think that is medium.

Btw, nothing beats a good horse steak.

xpod
December 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
I like mine cooked

+1
Well done,with no blood oozing from within thank you very much.

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
+1
Well done,with no blood oozing from within thank you very much.

The blood is the best thing :p

Thelasko
December 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Unfortunately a lot of places don't actually cook a steak well done. I usually ask when out for a really well done steak. When it comes it always tends to have a little bit of pink in the middle....and this is from people who are certified chefs!!!

Also on the cut of the meat, I've found (back in the days of being really strapped for cash) is with a cheap bit of meat - if you whack it a few times with a cooking mallet (and if it is pay week let it sit in cheap marinade) it can be quite good.

I never use the mallet. When I was younger, my mom used to bread cube steak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_steak), place it in a casserole dish, and smother it in diced tomatoes. The casserole dish would be covered and placed in the oven at 350°F. Basically, the longer you cook it the better, just make sure some tomato juice is always covering the meat, or it will burn. 40 minutes to an hour and you can cut it with your fork.

I don't like tomatoes, but the acid from them is mostly neutralized in cooking (and works as a marinade), so the taste doesn't bother me. That with a side of mashed potatoes is good eating.

I don't mind a bit of pink in the middle of my steak, just as long as it's hot and not blood red.

xpod
December 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
The blood is the best thing

I do like a bit of Black Pudding so no problems consuming blood,as long as it`s cooked and i dont have to drink it.

will1911a1
December 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Medium.

sydbat
December 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
IN MY BELLY!!!

With this
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2600930187_a8b8c231dc.jpg?v=0