PDA

View Full Version : killall pulseaudio - am I the only one?

Hellcom
November 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I've grown so tired of compensating for pulseaudio (due to its lousy support for things like OSS and openal) that I've now got my sessions manager set to 'killall pulseaudio', and thus have defaulted to ALSA. I'm thinking about just removing the packages altogether as the additional features it provides seem pointless to me and I'm happy with just ALSA.

Does anyone else hate pulseaudio as much as I do?

screaminj3sus
November 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I haven't had any problems with it...

k@e
November 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I have installed PulseAudio 0.9.13 in Intrepid. It works much better than the official version from the repos. It was a pain in Hardy.

Sadly, PA still works horrible with Wine. Unless it does not get fixed, I have to refuse using PA.

Tom--d
November 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Just remove pulseaudio in synpatic Package Manager. After, it will default to ALSA.

ssam
November 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
works fine for me on several machines.

i look forward to having some more advanced GUI tools for things like pushing the streams around a network.

Pekkalainen
November 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Pulseaudio made the old sound issues from Hoary (or Warty) come back for me. :(

Exsecrabilus
November 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Wonderful work has been going on for PulseAudio in Intrepid. I have no issues now after upgrading to 8.10.

SunnyRabbiera
November 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Pulse has some way to go, but who knows what it can bring to the table in the future.

binbash
November 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
It sucks at some games, you have to kill pulse audio before starting some applications.I am gonna remove it soon.

mrgnash
November 30th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I've grown so tired of compensating for pulseaudio (due to its lousy support for things like OSS and openal) that I've now got my sessions manager set to 'killall pulseaudio', and thus have defaulted to ALSA. I'm thinking about just removing the packages altogether as the additional features it provides seem pointless to me and I'm happy with just ALSA.

Yes, I purged it from my system and switched to Open Sound V4.

rajeev1204
December 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
I love it. I can finally fire up more than one application with sound playing for each one of them.So now i play my favourite games with rhythmbox in the background.

Rick Deckard
December 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM

I'm using pulseaudio 9.10 with Intrepid and the only real issue I have is when using Audacity - but it is an easy compromise; just use the pasuspender command to put the pulseaudio server to sleep allowing Audacity to have exclusive use of /dev/dsp - when the application has ended, the Pulseaudio Server automatically wakes up again and continues to function as before. Magic.

So, in Gnome for example, edit the menu entry for Audacity and set the command field to:

pasuspender -- audacity

The two hyphens are important!

Do the same for other 'troublesome' applications - after all, it's not Pulseaudio that's at fault, it's the way that some applications are written.

I think Pulseaudio is a step forward - most of my applications work perfectly with it and eventually, newer versions of the 'problem' apps will come along and fix the /dev/dsp issues...