PDA

View Full Version : I think that Ubuntu should eventually switch to pacman instead of apt.

smartboyathome
November 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Before I get started, let me state that I know Ubuntu probably never will switch due to the shear number of packages it has made into debs, but I thought I would post it anyway since its been going through my head a lot recently. Also, let me tell you this is not about Ubuntu becoming rolling release or being based on Arch or anything like that. Its just about the package manager Arch uses, and is just my personal opinion.

I have used Ubuntu since March of last year. I have tried several times to make packages, but its all in vain. Debian packaging is very complicated, and each time I try I have something to wrong somewhere. I have learned to get by through hoping others would make packages for me since it was very hard to make my own.

I have been using Arch for a few months now, and have come to appreciate how easy it is to build packages. I can make my own PKGBUILDs using a simple template and my knowlege of how to compile programs, then install them from the .pkg.tar.gz which is generated. In Debian packaging, I would have to deal with complicated stuff such as fakeroot and such, and trying to get it to compile how debian wanted it was a hassle. The debs that were generated were also painless to install though.

The power of pacman comes from how easy everything is though. There are tons of unsupported packages for Arch in AUR (I can say if you include these packages the amount of programs packaged for Arch rivals that of Ubuntu), and it is easy to install these using yaourt, which automates everything for you. The AUR is kind of like Ubuntu's universe and multiverse repository, where the majority of Ubuntu's packages are.

You can even easily create an Arch Linux repository, using the well documented page on the wiki. I have used Larch's (the livecd arch linux builder) Gen_repo script for this, which works very well and painlessly.

I can say that overall from my experience, Arch's package manager rivals that of Ubuntu's, and surpasses it in ease of use. Its easier to create packages for, and could possibly have just as many programs as Ubuntu does packaged for it if you include AUR. Its even easy to create a repository for Arch Linux.

Again, though, these are my opinions, taken from my experiences thus far, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

mentallaxative
November 29th, 2008, 08:28 PM
If Ubuntu should ever be blessed (or cursed) with a new package manager in the future, I think it should be Conary. It tracks dependencies down to individual files, installs only what is needed, and keeps a history of package installation similar to how a version control system functions, allowing you to revert changes. See Foresight Linux if you want to see Conary in action.

Of course, Pacman is great too. It's simple done well.

SunnyRabbiera
November 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Yes but the library of packages for arch is minuscule compared to debian.

Arch:

Debian:

Plus I never had problems creating .deb, also good luck converting non native .rpm files too, there are many packages out there that people may find useful that are RPM only so its easier to convert rpms to deb then it is to create arch packages.

sub2007
November 29th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I think the suggestion of an improved build system for Ubuntu, like Gentoo/Slackware/Arch has, is excellent. But pacman is just a package manager and doesn't necessarily work better than apt (it does in Arch but not sure on other distros) - I don't know of any implementations that can install .deb and so don't know how well it would work. Pacman is hard coded for Arch format packages (Judd Vinot wrote both format and pacman together) and as I see it as highly unfeasable that Ubuntu would drop .deb totally (being that it's based on Debian and people are used to it) then it would need a complete pacman rewrite, which would be essentially a new package manager (which people will probably complain doesn't work as well as apt).

Arch:

Debian:

Yes but Debian breaks packages up more than Arch. Lots of them have -dev packages as well as the main package (which adds to the count) which Arch doesn't have. In Ubuntu, Beagle comes in about 15 packages whereas in Arch it comes as two. With that factored in as well as AUR (AUR hosts 10,529) the number of packages is not as bad as you make out.

SunnyRabbiera
November 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I think the suggestion of an improved build system for Ubuntu, like Gentoo/Slackware/Arch has, is excellent. But pacman is just a package manager and doesn't necessarily work better than apt (it does in Arch but not sure on other distros) - I don't know of any implementations that can install .deb and so don't know how well it would work. Pacman is hard coded for Arch format packages (Judd Vinot wrote both format and pacman together) and as I see it as highly unfeasable that Ubuntu would drop .deb totally (being that it's based on Debian and people are used to it) then it would need a complete pacman rewrite, which would be essentially a new package manager (which people will probably complain doesn't work as well as apt).

that too, why mess with something when there are already many .debs out there to convert.
Debian has the most diverse amount of packages out there so why cut it out for something with so few packages?
Plus you would have to make sure those packages are compiled on your own, not ideal for new users.
But in the future I feel debian will get better with its packages, so what is the point?

smartboyathome
November 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Like I said, I know that it would probably never happen, its just something I was stating.

And about deb packages: I can install them on Arch easily by using this code:

deb2targz <nameofdeb>.deb
tar -xcf <nameofdeb>.tar.gz
That code turns the deb into a tar.gz file, and then you can extract the tar.gz file into the pkg directory, where makepkg makes it into a pkg.tar.gz.

Also, pacman has a lot more packages than it looks, and its easier for people to make .pkg.tar.gz packages than in Ubuntu. I would be interested to see Conary, though. What distros use it?

SunnyRabbiera
November 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
But people would still have to compile and that is where you have to make the deal breaker.
Debian just has too many packages to go to something with so few packages out by default.
You might as well say Ubuntu should use RPM's next

smartboyathome
November 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM
But people would still have to compile and that is where you have to make the deal breaker.
Debian just has too many packages to go to something with so few packages out by default.
You might as well say Ubuntu should use RPM's next

Actually, as stated above, Arch has more packages than it looks. Also, people wouldn't have to compile if they wanted to stay with the packages in the repos (which there are quite a few). Its basically the same as Ubuntu, compile if you want to or if there is no package available. Since Arch has AUR, there would be less compiling due to more packages being available due to easier package creation.

sub2007
November 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I think what the OP is getting at is that Arch has a better build system for creating it's package format than Ubuntu has for creating it's package format. I found creating .debs so labourious that I stopped doing it. On Arch creating a package is a piece of cake (it's a matter of just changing the pkgbuild file, often just updating the version number and running makepkg).

So it seems that it's not about adopting pacman or Arch's package format, more about creating or incorporating something like ABS that would make .deb creation easier, because it is undeniably easier on Arch than on Ubuntu.

Newuser1111
November 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I think that Ubuntu should eventually switch to pacman instead of apt. I don't.
If you don't like apt then go to a different one that has what you want.

SunnyRabbiera
November 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
the thing is that I never really liked pacman, apt seems so easy and painless compared to most other package managers out there.

smartboyathome
November 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I think what the OP is getting at is that Arch has a better build system for creating it's package format than Ubuntu has for creating it's package format. I found creating .debs so labourious that I stopped doing it. On Arch creating a package is a piece of cake (it's a matter of just changing the pkgbuild file, often just updating the version number and running makepkg).

So it seems that it's not about adopting pacman or Arch's package format, more about creating or incorporating something like ABS that would make .deb creation easier, because it is undeniably easier on Arch than on Ubuntu.

Thats exactly what I mean. I like Ubuntu and all, but its just a PITA to maintain packages for.

I don't.
If you don't like apt then go to a different one that has what you want.

I do, I use Arch. The problem is though that sometimes I want a quick, painless install (Arch installs are mostly painless, but definately not quick). With Ubuntu adopting something like Pacman I might go back.

the thing is that I never really liked pacman, apt seems so easy and painless compared to most other package managers out there.

Whats so hard about pacman? Hardest thing I've seen is the syntax for the pacman command, which I use aliases for anyway on both Ubuntu and Arch.

-grubby
November 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I love Pacman, and building packages is easy, but I don't think Pacman is stable enough to include in Ubuntu. I only had it break on me once, but once is too many times. Strangely I had to fix it by reinstalling Pacman with Pacman..

smartboyathome
November 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I love Pacman, and building packages is easy, but I don't think Pacman is stable enough to include in Ubuntu. I only had it break on me once, but once is too many times. Strangely I had to fix it by reinstalling Pacman with Pacman..

I have only had one break, but that was solved quickly. I have had apt-get break more when something doesn't install completely. I think its much more stable than apt, but thats imo of course.

mentallaxative
November 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I do, I use Arch. The problem is though that sometimes I want a quick, painless install (Arch installs are mostly painless, but definately not quick). With Ubuntu adopting something like Pacman I might go back.

I think coming up with a quickie Arch install with some default GUI apps like Ubuntu is a better fix than contemplating an angry mob of Ubuntu users demanding their apt back. :)

-grubby
November 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I have only had one break, but that was solved quickly. I have had apt-get break more when something doesn't install completely. I think its much more stable than apt, but thats imo of course.

Come to think of it.. apt has broken alot more for me, also.

smartboyathome
November 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I think coming up with a quickie Arch install with some default GUI apps like Ubuntu is a better fix than contemplating an angry mob of Ubuntu users demanding their apt back. :)

I know, unfortunately that doesn't follow the Arch way though, and most of the distros based on it are either not what I want, or not active anymore. I am trying to work on one as part of Maryan Linux, but unfortunately I can't get it to work that well yet. :(

Mr. Picklesworth
November 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
What we need is a friendly development environment that isn't an IDE (eg: doesn't try to do anything other than organizing Debian packaging projects with well designed templates specific to the platform). Maybe some file manager extensions, a "create project" tool / autoconf setup wizard...
No need to switch packaging formats; they're all somewhat odd to develop for.

doorknob60
November 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM

Arch:

Debian:

Plus I never had problems creating .deb, also good luck converting non native .rpm files too, there are many packages out there that people may find useful that are RPM only so its easier to convert rpms to deb then it is to create arch packages.

In Arch, so far I've never had to manually install or compile anything, it's always wither in the regular repositories, or it's in AUR, easily accessible with yaourt. Also, creating PKGBUILDS is extremely easy, and honestly even after lots of googling I never really figured out how to make debs. Also pacman is faster IMO too :-) But I think Ubuntu should stick with apt since that's what Debian uses, it makes sense. People that want pacman should come over to the Arch side :-D

Dr Small
November 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I have had apt break on me numerous times between my server, my sisters computer and the laptop. I can't think of one event that Pacman has ever failed on me.

Having Pacman in Ubuntu would be nice, easier and more efficient, but I still wouldn't come back to Ubuntu for my favorite package manager. Arch is just too cozy for me to return to bloat world.

andras artois
November 29th, 2008, 11:36 PM
It wouldn't be very based off debian if it switched....

smartboyathome
November 29th, 2008, 11:38 PM
It wouldn't be very based off debian if it switched....

Its only half based off of debian now, since Ubuntu uses a lot of its own package names or tools.

sub2007
November 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Its only half based off of debian now, since Ubuntu uses a lot of its own package names or tools.

Ubuntu is a lot more than half based on Debian. Ubuntu takes a freeze of Debian Sid every 6 months and then works with that to stabilise what they have, with some renamed packages and a lot of patches. At it's core, it's still Debian.

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Ubuntu is a lot more than half based on Debian. Ubuntu takes a freeze of Debian Sid every 6 months and then works with that to stabilise what they have, with some renamed packages and a lot of patches. At it's core, it's still Debian.

At its core, but its only to a point. To prove this, try taking many debian packages and using them on Ubuntu. A lot of them might not work without tweaks. I digress, though, as it would get this thread no where and makes it go off topic.

handy
November 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM

I use NeroLinux on Arch, it is an RPM, which was converted & installed on my system initially & whenever there has been an upgrade since.

Arch has no problem with RPM's.

InfinityCircuit
November 30th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Does pacman support building packages in clean chroots?

Where does Arch host the source of its packages?

Does pacman actually make it easier to maintain a complex package like glibc or the kernel or kde that requires large patch systems?

How does arch handle package uploads? Does it use a buildd?

What kind of support does pacman have for cross compiling?

Any comparison of dpkg v pacman would require a comparison of the wanna-build infrastructure in comparison to whatever Arch uses. In other words: It's probably much easier for the average user to create an Arch package than a Debian package. But if the development system of Debian is superior for the experienced user that is probably a reason to stay with dpkg.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I'm trying to understand how it works. In any case, Debian will never abandon IWJ code. :)

Luke has no name
November 30th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Ubuntu should be based on FreeBSD, not Debian.

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Does pacman support building packages in clean chroots?

Yes, just build the PKGBUILD in a chroot.

Where does Arch host the source of its packages?

I don't know, actually. Never thought about it.

Does pacman actually make it easier to maintain a complex package like glibc or the kernel or kde that requires large patch systems?

I wouldn't know that either, as I don't try to do that.

It handles them using AUR, if thats what you mean.

Packages which are used in pacman can be cross compiled using the pkgbuilds.

Any comparison of dpkg v pacman would require a comparison of the wanna-build infrastructure in comparison to whatever Arch uses. In other words: It's probably much easier for the average user to create an Arch package than a Debian package. But if the development system of Debian is superior for the experienced user that is probably a reason to stay with dpkg.

I haven't seen any reason TO stay with debs besides the fact that theres so many of them.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I'm trying to understand how it works. In any case, Debian will never abandon IWJ code. :)

I know it won't, and I respect that. Just stating what I wish would happen to Ubuntu.

InfinityCircuit
November 30th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I haven't seen any reason TO stay with debs besides the fact that theres so many of them.

Debian packages have:

1) support for 3-tier system to communicate information about package upgrades to the user. (debian/changelog, debian/NEWS, debconf postinst reminders)

2) lots of supporting infrastructure that already exists (wanna-build, sbuild/pbuilder, lintian, vcs-controlled packaging - git-buildpackage, svn-buildpackage, hg-buildpackage, cvs-buildpackage, arch-buildpackage. etc)

3) extensive support for patching (simple-patchsys, quilt, dpatch, dbs)

4) lots of new features coming post-Lenny (lzma compression = smaller downloads, dpkg-source v3 will support 100% vcs-managed packaging)

5) A very simple way to build packages in debhelper 7. A basic package basically just needs a skeletal debian/control, debian/copyright, and debian/rules containing only these lines:

#!/usr/bin/make -f

%:
dh $@

That seems pretty accessible to the average user. Launchpad already exists to help distribute unofficial packages.

I don't know the pacman equivalents of this system but I feel that they would be deficient. Ultimately, it comes down to what I said earlier--Arch packages probably are easier for the average user. But for the advanced developer Debian probably offers far far more flexibility. And which one of those two people do you want creating your kernel and glibc? :popcorn:

HoppingWombat
November 30th, 2008, 02:46 AM
No, RPMs. And users should have to use source RPMs, too, for all of the packages with over 50 downloads. :lolflag:

Changturkey
November 30th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Ubuntu should be based on FreeBSD, not Debian.

:)

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Debian packages have:

1) support for 3-tier system to communicate information about package upgrades to the user. (debian/changelog, debian/NEWS, debconf postinst reminders)

2) lots of supporting infrastructure that already exists (wanna-build, sbuild/pbuilder, lintian, vcs-controlled packaging - git-buildpackage, svn-buildpackage, hg-buildpackage, cvs-buildpackage, arch-buildpackage. etc)

3) extensive support for patching (simple-patchsys, quilt, dpatch, dbs)

4) lots of new features coming post-Lenny (lzma compression = smaller downloads, dpkg-source v3 will support 100% vcs-managed packaging)

5) A very simple way to build packages in debhelper 7. A basic package basically just needs a skeletal debian/control, debian/copyright, and debian/rules containing only these lines:

#!/usr/bin/make -f

%:
dh $@

That seems pretty accessible to the average user. Launchpad already exists to help distribute unofficial packages.

I don't know the pacman equivalents of this system but I feel that they would be deficient. Ultimately, it comes down to what I said earlier--Arch packages probably are easier for the average user. But for the advanced developer Debian probably offers far far more flexibility. And which one of those two people do you want creating your kernel and glibc? :popcorn:

1) is a good reason, one I didn't know about
2) isn't imo, as there wouldn't be that many if there was a default, good way to make packages.
3) So these patches get applied to the already installed packages, or are they just ways to apply patches to programs before the packages are made?
4) I am not a developer, so I don't know what the advantages of VCS are, but I know that the pacman devs have been looking into implimenting lzma instead of gz since last April.
5) So what if the package is more complicated than a basic ./configure, make, make install, will this work then?

As for Arch devs vs Debian devs, Arch devs are pretty smart as well, since the Arch Way naturally makes them smarter than the average joe. I don't think we will see people trying to create you a default glibc or kernel with this.

bruce89
November 30th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I'm sure everyone knows this is impossible. If you like pacman, use a distro that uses it and stop preaching to others.

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I'm sure everyone knows this is impossible. If you like pacman, use a distro that uses it and stop preaching to others.

I wasn't really trying to preach, just stating I wished that debian had an easier build system. I think I mistitled the thread (oops :(). I basically meant what this post says:

bruce89
November 30th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I wasn't really trying to preach, just stating I wished that debian had an easier build system. I think I mistitled the thread (oops :(). I basically meant what this post says:

Ah, fair enough. The Debian system is complex, but it probably as it is quite old.

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Ah, fair enough. The Debian system is complex, but it probably as it is quite old.

Probably. Personally, though, I wish that the debian developers would rewrite the package system so that it could support some newer features and much easier packaging.

bruce89
November 30th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Probably. Personally, though, I wish that the debian developers would rewrite the package system so that it could support some newer features and much easier packaging.

It's rather tricky without breaking the 20,000 packages all at once.

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2008, 03:43 AM
It's rather tricky without breaking the 20,000 packages all at once.

Yeah, thats the hard part. Oh well though, perhaps like Linux is starting to overcome Windows, some other package format will overcome debian when the time is right. :)

bruce89
November 30th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Yeah, thats the hard part. Oh well though, perhaps like Linux is starting to overcome Windows, some other package format will overcome debian when the time is right. :)

You'd have thought the same about autotools, but alas, it's not the case.

Luke has no name
November 30th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I tried to understand how to package very simply using Daniel Holbach's video tutorial, but it just seems like there are too many steps and tools. I wouldn't mind seeing a better system, and I've heard good things about Conary as it relates to how it manages partial installation, dependencies, etc.

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I tried to understand how to package very simply using Daniel Holbach's video tutorial, but it just seems like there are too many steps and tools. I wouldn't mind seeing a better system, and I've heard good things about Conary as it relates to how it manages partial installation, dependencies, etc.

What distros use Conary? I would be interested in seeing it. :)

ibutho
November 30th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Rpath and Foresight Linux use Conary.

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Rpath and Foresight Linux use Conary.

Cool, thanks. I will be checking it out. :)

eldragon
November 30th, 2008, 06:19 AM

i dont know about glibc, but making a package for the kernel is much more simpler to maintain, everything resides in the PKGBUILD file. you just update the version number there, and it will download the source and apply your patches, or do whatever you wish to do.

as far as ive seen, packages are all grabbed from upstream, and patches are supplied through the AUR database (where you get the initial PKGBUILD, produced by a submitter). this is how i got to build the kernel. got the 2.6.27 from kernel.org, the arch patchset from archlinux.org, and i edited the PKGBUILD to include my patches (only 1).

havent done any, but it supports it from what ive seen.

now. what the OP mixed is the pacman software with the way to create custom packages in arch.
pacman just solves dependencies and upgrades the system. thats it. you can specify manual packages youve created from AUR or yourself. if you ve configured your PKGBUILD file correctly (or someone did), pacman will solve dependencies.

IMO, apt-get and pacman are too different. i think pacman wouldnt work well on a user friendly distro like ubuntu, where users expect initial configuration to be done for them. pacman does NOT do that, (and as ive read in the arch wiki or forum, its a feature).

i found the build system quite powerful in arch, while i cannot say the same of debian's or ubuntu's for that matter. i think what ubuntu should integrate into their resources, is the makepkg filosofy and use the PKGBUILD scripting thingie. but make it make debs instead of tar.gz

SomeGuyDude
November 30th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Arch vs Ubuntu in terms of packages. I'll say this:

I have had to add lots and lots of repos in Ubuntu to get the things I wanted. I have never had to add anything to Arch, just seach the AUR.

Dharmachakra
November 30th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Arch vs Ubuntu in terms of packages. I'll say this:

I have had to add lots and lots of repos in Ubuntu to get the things I wanted. I have never had to add anything to Arch, just seach the AUR.

Wanna upgrade your video driver? Hop over to ABS. :)

Of course, non-savvy users wouldn't wanna mess around with config files. But honestly, they'll find every package they want in Arch.

I'm biased towards Arch though...

eldragon
November 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Wanna upgrade your video driver? Hop over to ABS. :)

Of course, non-savvy users wouldn't wanna mess around with config files. But honestly, they'll find every package they want in Arch.

I'm biased towards Arch though...

your avatar kind of gives you away :D

they are so different, they are not worth comparing. im still sad intrepid was such a fluke on my hardware. but it made me try arch. which im actually loving atm, so, there's that :D

kk0sse54
November 30th, 2008, 04:29 PM
pacman is good but yaourt is even better, of course I also liked the FreeBSD ports system but that's just me :D

Polygon
November 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

tiachopvutru
November 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

I read somewhere about a response to that phrase being "if it can be improve, then isn't it slightly broken?"

kevdog
December 1st, 2008, 06:09 AM
I really got to try Arch --- Ive been saying this for a while now!!

I know I'm getting flamed for asking, however can you use gnome from within Arch?

RiceMonster
December 1st, 2008, 06:11 AM

I know I'm getting flamed for asking, however can you use gnome from within Arch?

yeah you can. You just have to install it after an initial install. It's not hard though. All you have to do is:

pacman -S gnome

here's some more info (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnome).

cardinals_fan
December 1st, 2008, 06:16 AM
Conary is okay, but the PackageKit frontend in Foresight is appalling.

I despise APT. I actually refuse to even try Debian-based systems now. Building Debian packages is a horrible process, much harder than on Slackware (I've built a lot of Slack packages :)). SliTaz has a very nice system with tazpkg and tazwok - you might want to check it out. Read this (http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/manuals/tazwok.en.html) and then download SliTaz to give it a shot. Or ignore me and continue as you were :)

deepclutch
December 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
rolling release distros with sympathetic package managers like conary,pacman is proven to be not safe for mission-critical applications.just my 2 paise.

cardinals_fan
December 1st, 2008, 06:31 AM
rolling release distros with sympathetic package managers like conary,pacman is proven to be not safe for mission-critical applications.just my 2 paise.
The package managers have nothing to do with the rollingness of the distro...

mentallaxative
December 1st, 2008, 07:04 AM

Sympathetic? Proven? Please explain further. :)

Luke has no name
December 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM
There really has to be a better way to create and track packages than apt. Ubuntu shouldn't stick with an inferior PM just because its base distro does. Hell, if you made the packaging and patching system easier, more powerful, and quicker, we wouldn't need to use Debian to get a lot of heavy lifting out of the way.

smartboyathome
December 1st, 2008, 04:20 PM
Conary is okay, but the PackageKit frontend in Foresight is appalling.

I despise APT. I actually refuse to even try Debian-based systems now. Building Debian packages is a horrible process, much harder than on Slackware (I've built a lot of Slack packages :)). SliTaz has a very nice system with tazpkg and tazwok - you might want to check it out. Read this (http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/manuals/tazwok.en.html) and then download SliTaz to give it a shot. Or ignore me and continue as you were :)

Cool, even better! Slitaz has been on my list for a while, and since it is so small and my 10 year old laptop is in need of an OS, I will give it a try. :)

jimi_hendrix
December 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
+1 for pacman
+.5 for apt
+10 for getting something like AUR

Dr Small
December 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM

Of course you can. You can run anything on Arch.
You can even build Arch up to look like Ubuntu (minus the bloat). It's your choice ;)

Polygon
December 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
There really has to be a better way to create and track packages than apt. Ubuntu shouldn't stick with an inferior PM just because its base distro does. Hell, if you made the packaging and patching system easier, more powerful, and quicker, we wouldn't need to use Debian to get a lot of heavy lifting out of the way.

we sync with debian every 6 months. if we used a different package manager, we would have to rebuild ALL of the packages in the repos...which would be an insane process to do as there are 1000's of packages.

what exactly are the problems with debs? ive heard that they are harder to build...but what else is wrong with them?

cardinals_fan
December 2nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
we sync with debian every 6 months. if we used a different package manager, we would have to rebuild ALL of the packages in the repos...which would be an insane process to do as there are 1000's of packages.

what exactly are the problems with debs? ive heard that they are harder to build...but what else is wrong with them?
I don't like some of the philosophies employed by Debian regarding packaging. I'm rather strongly opposed to distro specific modifications or adulterations. Leave it vanilla!

eldragon
December 2nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
I don't like some of the philosophies employed by Debian regarding packaging. I'm rather strongly opposed to distro specific modifications or adulterations. Leave it vanilla!

thats exactly what surprised me about arch, everything comes from upstream. something that should be taken for granted, under ubuntu it was a pain to get stuff that wasnt in the repos installed

InfinityCircuit
December 2nd, 2008, 06:46 AM

What do you mean? What modifications by Debian do you object to?

Debian has extra themes and wallpaper that you can install but it's not forced. This also has nothing to do with Debian Policy.

cardinals_fan
December 2nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
What do you mean? What modifications by Debian do you object to?

Debian has extra themes and wallpaper that you can install but it's not forced. This also has nothing to do with Debian Policy.
A quote from http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/index.en.html#contents:

9.1 New Debian revision

Let's say that a bug report was filed against your package, #54321, and it describes a problem that you can solve. To create a new Debian revision of the package, you need to:

* Correct the problem in the package source, of course.

* Add a new revision at the top of the Debian changelog file, for example with `dch -i`, or explicitly with `dch -v <version>-<revision>' and then insert the comments using your preferred editor.

Tip: how to easily get the date in required format? Use `822-date', or `date -R'.

* Include a short description of the bug and the solution in the changelog entry, followed by this: "Closes: #54321". That way, the bug report will be automagically closed by the archive maintenance software the moment your package gets accepted in the Debian archive.

* Repeat what you did in Complete rebuild, Section 6.1, Checking the package for errors, Chapter 7, and Uploading the package, Chapter 8. The difference is that this time, the original source archive won't be included, as it hasn't been changed and it already exists in the Debian archive.

In accordance with this, Debian packages are often non-vanilla and include Debian-specific patches. One well-known example of this going wrong was the OpenSSL fiasco (http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1571) last year. A quote (emphasis mine):

Luciano Bello discovered that the random number generator in Debian's openssl package is predictable. This is caused by an incorrect Debian-specific change to the openssl package (CVE-2008-0166). As a result, cryptographic key material may be guessable.

InfinityCircuit
December 2nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Would you prefer that bug reports go unfixed? Upstream can be very very slow. Some upstreams are dead.

How do you approach upstream projects that no longer support older versions? Do you just never change the package and let it rot in the archive?

Obviously the OpenSSL fiasco was a disaster but the number of disasters that have been averted by quick patching of upstream sources are probably worth the risk. And the OpenSSL fiasco at best proves that some Debian developers aren't very skilled, which doesn't necessarily imply that patching is bad.

cardinals_fan
December 2nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Would you prefer that bug reports go unfixed? Upstream can be very very slow. Some upstreams are dead.

How do you approach upstream projects that no longer support older versions? Do you just never change the package and let it rot in the archive?

Obviously the OpenSSL fiasco was a disaster but the number of disasters that have been averted by quick patching of upstream sources are probably worth the risk. And the OpenSSL fiasco at best proves that some Debian developers aren't very skilled, which doesn't necessarily imply that patching is bad.
I expect my distro to provide me with a set of apps chosen to go well together. I want the software itself to be exactly as it was made to be. When I install Ruby, it should be plain old Ruby, not Debian-Ruby (just an arbitrary example; I don't know if Ruby is adulterated). If they didn't write the program, how can they judge what should or should not be done to it?

Obviously there are cases where patching might be better for most people, even if I don't like it. However, it should only be applied carefully and in desperate circumstances, not cavalierly according to a developer's whims.

Luke has no name
December 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Full disclosure: I am not an expert. I am a hobbyist who knows a bit about the system.

I don't like Apt's output.
Yum has a better way of printing information to console. Apt-get is ugly. Perhaps I could patch it(just add some line breaks, jeez.)

Package creation is ridiculous.
I'm no expert on packaging, compiling, etc., but I know the concepts. There must be a more intuitive, easy flowing way of creating packages than the current bombardment of deb tools.

I don't like having 30 packages for a package.
openoffice.org-cores-docs-beta-3.0.0 is an annoying site to see. I'm looking for openoffice.org! Packages should have a hierarchy of importance:

---Primary (entire packages that people would actually use, like openoffice.org),
---Secondary (major components of packages, perhaps self-sufficient, like openoffice.org-calc) and
---Tertiary(docs, modules, libraries, etc. that usually aren't installed by themselves).

Users could intelligently sort and search packages based on what TYPE of package they are looking for, maybe? I know having a lot of packages makes patching and maintaining easier, but it's hell to look at in a search. This particular point is something I'm not quite sure of, but it sounds good.

A very powerful package tracker needs to be employed.
For every package "P" in the system, the system should know every other package in the system that is possibly associated with "P", when it was downloaded, what referred its download, etc.

Installation tracking needs to be present.
If an installation is interrupted, the system should know and ask what to do. Retry installation, revert system, etc. Not just "leave the packages that were installed on the system" (I don't know if apt does this).

Kind of related:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/linux/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212100714

One of the main things mentioned that Linux needs is a standard packaging system. This would be very beneficial. And if a single packaging mechanism were to be deployed throughout all major distros, it better be the best, not just "good enough". Apt can improve, or be replaced.

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
For me as a user apt works great.

smartboyathome
December 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM

What else is wrong with debs besides how to build them? Not much, but if they are a PITA to build for devs, isn't that reason enough for a change to be needed to happen?

One of the main things mentioned that Linux needs is a standard packaging system. This would be very beneficial. And if a single packaging mechanism were to be deployed throughout all major distros, it better be the best, not just "good enough". Apt can improve, or be replaced.

It can be beneficial in one sense, and bad in another. I see where you are coming from, that the developers wouldn't have to worry about what package format, but in another sense it is bad because it hinders competition between package formats and thus hinders the development of new features for the package formats. Thats the only thing I'm concerned about when it comes to having one package format.

InfinityCircuit
December 2nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
What else is wrong with debs besides how to build them? Not much, but if they are a PITA to build for devs, isn't that reason enough for a change to be needed to happen?

The trouble is that debs are in no way a PITA to build for devs. If you ask vorlon or manoj if they want to switch to pacman they will look at you with an incredulous stare. I don't find it troubling at all to build for Debian because of the sheer resources that debhelper provides for a variety of obscure packaging tools. Devs need to be able to build udebs, broken out packages, etc. The same is not true for the average user.

Mr. Picklesworth
December 3rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
I expect my distro to provide me with a set of apps chosen to go well together. I want the software itself to be exactly as it was made to be. When I install Ruby, it should be plain old Ruby, not Debian-Ruby (just an arbitrary example; I don't know if Ruby is adulterated). If they didn't write the program, how can they judge what should or should not be done to it?

Obviously there are cases where patching might be better for most people, even if I don't like it. However, it should only be applied carefully and in desperate circumstances, not cavalierly according to a developer's whims.

It should also be noted that downstream patching is one of the reasons why Debian is such a beast to comprehend. For dead projects, it would be completely justified to create a branch in bzr and say "this is the active branch of the project!"
No reason whatsoever to drop all the wonderful organization presented by distributed source code management in favour of a brain-damaged patching system.

It is never a good sign that there seem to be a lot of Debian maintainers who not only don't understand the software they are maintainning, but also don't understand Debian. I just noticed that installing Konqueror (as a web browser) arbitrarily pulls in Dolphin via a long chain of Dependencies, where removing Dolphin also removes Konqueror. Considering that Debian favours a system of completely fragmented packages, where everything is in bite-sized pieces, it shouldn't be much to expect that this Not Happen.

This is why we also need good tools that check for these things passively before releasing. A heap of shell scripts does not cut it for all purposes.

-grubby
December 3rd, 2008, 02:44 AM
The trouble is that debs are in no way a PITA to build for devs. If you ask vorlon or manoj if they want to switch to pacman they will look at you with an incredulous stare. I don't find it troubling at all to build for Debian because of the sheer resources that debhelper provides for a variety of obscure packaging tools. Devs need to be able to build udebs, broken out packages, etc. The same is not true for the average user.

More packages can be created if the package creation method takes less time.

Dr Small
December 3rd, 2008, 02:50 AM
more packages can be created if the package creation method takes less time.
+1

Mr. Picklesworth
December 3rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
More packages can be created if it happens upstream, too. Thus, what really must be asked is a lot simpler: Why don't they make packages for us upstream?

I have one very likely guess: Because they don't want to deal with the complexity. Now, how is it that they are content packaging their source code snapshots in different archive formats and installer binaries for Windows and MacOS, both 64 and 32 bit with auto update services? It's an especially important question when we consider that those technologies for MacOS and Windows are far less powerful and potentially a great deal more complicated since they lack established centralized systems to be maintained by.

The same question must be asked for every other packaging format the free software community produces.

SomeGuyDude
December 3rd, 2008, 03:39 AM
Anyone ever watched a discussion like this and been absolutely amazed that you used to have a computer where nothing was tracked by the system?

It just baffles me that in my Windows days it never struck me as an issue that none of my software was considered "official" by MS and updating was pretty much my own responsibility.