PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Eee Box but not a clue

Mikael48
November 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Hi everybody!

Up until now I have been able to solve all my problems with Ubuntu, often using information from this fantastic forum, but now I'm stuck. I want to build a wireless network, but I don't know anything about it. Wherever I search I can't seem to find anything useful!

I have:
1x newly bought Eee Box PC. It came with XP but I have installed Ubuntu on it, dual-boot.
2x Ubuntu PCs without wireless network cards
1x Broadband connection

So far I have plugged the ethernet cable from the magic broadband box into either one of the old PCs to get an internet connection. Now I bought the Eee Box, and want to

a) be able to use the internet on all of the computers at the same time
b) have the low energy Eee Box up 24/7 for heavy download duties
c) be able to transfer files between the computers
d) someday, make a proper network where the same accounts are accessed from all the PCs

This should be a doable project even for a clueless Ubuntu enthusiast, right? If there's anything about it I should rethink, then please tell me :)

The Eee box is supposed to have a good wireless network card:

Wireless N
The Eee Box also supports the latest WiFi 802.11n wireless standard providing up to eight times faster connectivity than previous 802.11b/g wireless. Users can download a 30 minute video in only 44 seconds minimizing the wait and allowing time for twice as many movies.
Wireless Data Network - WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n

This gives me two headaches at the same time: the "latest WiFi 802.11n wireless standard" doesn't even seem to be a standard yet, and even the old standards seem to be too proprietary to work well with GNU/Linux.

So, what hardware do I need to buy? I was thinking I need a router and two USB-gadgets, but I'm actually quite clueless and the tutorials I can find never deal with the basics of what to buy. Can someone recommend something that is known to work well with GNU/Linux?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can help me out with!

aurelieng
November 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Hi !

Since I read somewhere that the eeeBox is basically a 1000HD without a screen and a keyboard. If it is true, you could perhaps try to see http://array.org/ubuntu/status.html?model=eeepc-1000HD

:)

Aurel.

Mikael48
December 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks a lot for the tips!