PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Screen went black after enabling desktop effects

xterminal01
November 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Ok, I just installed the kubuntu 8.10 and when I went to enable the desktop effects the screen went black, with black shades. However, now I don't know what i am supposed to do?

manishtech
November 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Can I know what is the graphics card which you are using, if you dont know, please give us the output of the command

lspci | grep -i graphic

xterminal01
December 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The graphic card is a Nvidia Geforce GTS 8600
I somehow disabled the effects and got my desktop back.
Then I managed to install the graphic drivers from ubuntu hardware.
However, now when i start kde everytime the screen flickers for 10 seconds. and the desktop is somewhat distorted. When i go into tty3 and back to KDE with ctr alt f7 the screen becomes normal?
could the graphic drivers be wrong?

Can I know what is the graphics card which you are using, if you dont know, please give us the output of the command

lspci | grep -i graphic

jmx009
December 26th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Hey !!
I have the same problem. I have the same graphics card and installed kubuntu on my laptop. I enabled the desktop effects and hey presto !! the screen is black with just the mouse cursor. How did you manage to revert to your old settings (turn of the the desktop effects). Please explain in detail as i am a noob when it comes to linux. I cant see anything on my desktop and i dont know the shortcut keyboard keys to deactivate the desktop effects !!
PLs help
Thanks in advance
Jez