PDA

View Full Version : UK Dell and Ubuntu

Waderider
November 29th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I was on the verge of buying a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Hardy pre-installed from Dell over the net, and have actually went to make the purchase in the last few hours. I could swear I'd saved the laptop build in my basket on the Dell site as well.

But my basket is empty and I can no longer find anything other than netbooks with Ubuntu pre-installed on their site. Unless I'm totally losing my ability to navigate a website.

Are Dell stopping supplying PCs and 'normal' laptops with Ubuntu? Am I just unable to find them due to my own ineptitude? If anyone can post a link to the UK Dell site for a customisable Inspiron 1525 with Ubuntu pre-installed I'd be very grateful.

steeleyuk
November 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
They've taken them down for whatever reason. Not sure if they're just updating them for Intrepid.

Sealbhach
November 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Look what I've just seen here:

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/dell-adds-32gb-ssd-option-on-the-inspiron-mini-9

It seems it's only available with Ubuntu.

Might be they're reconfiguring their whole Ubuntu strategy.

meep_meep
November 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM
dont worry too much atm

i regularly go on the dell uk ubuntu site to customise a computer lol and they often take computers off the list.

admittedly its not often that they dont show any computers at all but this has been only for a few days.

if they still dont show anything in the next few weeks then i'll get worried.

you have to remember that the dell ubuntu department is not very big. They might be making the switch to 8.10 and sold out of 8.04 computer.

Waderider
December 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hmmm, still no open source laptops from Dell. I'm very impatient.

Anyone fancy recommending me a UK supplier of Windows free laptops that I can spec up myself?

Joeb454
December 1st, 2008, 06:25 PM
Odd...the page is still there (http://www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu) but that's all it is...a page

Bölvağur
December 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM
admittedly its not often that they dont show any computers at all but this has been only for a few days.

That is the effects of them having assemble-to-order strategy for supplies. They show their supplier's inventory on their website, so if their supplier doesn't have some parts they cannot sell the product.
You can see how dynamic the items you can buy are, always changing what type of extra HDD you can buy and such, changes from day to day almost.

I think they dont have ATO for the netbooks and the computers that go to sale in wallmart, so you will always be able to get those.

bash
December 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Have you tried ordering your Ubuntu laptop by phone from Dell UK and/or e-mailed the customer service about why no Ubuntu offerings are listed?

gn2
December 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hmmm, still no open source laptops from Dell. I'm very impatient.

Anyone fancy recommending me a UK supplier of Windows free laptops that I can spec up myself?

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/

Although it's cheaper to buy one elsewhere and install Linux yourself.

Waderider
December 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
I emailed Dell about 24 hours ago and no reply yet.........

I was going to buy Dell to guarantee hardware compatibility, I would have upgraded to 8.10 straight away anyhow. I may buy an laptop without an OS and install myself. However I could do with the easy option of preinstalled OS as I spend quite enough time setting up my computers.

Thanks for the link gn2, value doesn't seem good though (shame, looks like the sort of company it would be good to support).