PDA

View Full Version : we as a linux community must start doing things

luckydeveloper
November 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
hello everybody,

I am actually a die hard GNU/Linux fan(though GPL disappoints me in some cases).

I guess, All the people in this community love to see GNU/Linux used by all the people in this world.So i though i must share(with you great people in this community) several simple steps we need to take in order to see that dream come true.

I have presented my thoughts here. Many others are also welcome.

1. Linux users are already in effort to switch people to Linux. Many GNU/Linux fans and users, if they are asked to tell about GNU/Linux to some one.. they start off like this "windows does not have all these features and " blah blah blah. The thing to be noticed is that many (i guess almost 90% of linux users) start off to tell negative things about windows and finally say that linux has all these things that windows misses. while Linux misses several things that windows has (truly speaking we must accept this in some cases...). In this kind of campaign, we tend to miss to tell several unique and extradinary features of linux.I am sure that there are damn good unique (educational, social...)things in linux. So linux people have got to make notice of these things while telling about linux to a new bee.

2. We in the community (geeks) must truly start offering unique software(really new and innovative) for the linux platform. we must make linux a comfortable place for beginners to live in. Already ubuntu is doing an excellent job in this thing. But the results will be even better if we start thinking about the applications in the linux platform. There are hell a lot of APIs. Some APIs are good and some APU are hardly used. we must make good APIs better and create many other new APIs as well for creating of next generation of software.

3. Geographically distributed linux users are really a plus for the linux platform(many know this but fail to make use of it). People having trouble may knock the neighbour's home and get help immediately in person. Linux is OUR Platform . Its OUR community.Then its OUR responsibility to help the people who have trouble. There must be a sense of ownership in every one who use linux.

well , thanks for reading my thoughts. Looking forward for more such ideas in this thread.

Handyman Felting
November 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I am doing everything I can to get people to switch to Linux. I got one of my friends to switch by calling him at 2:30 AM every morning telling him to switch or he would get another call at the same time the next morning (he folded in just over a fortnight). Another friend of mine wouldn't switch no matter how much I bugged him, but I have been going to his house to feed his cats for the past week because he is on a holiday, so I took the opportunity to format his computer and install Ubuntu on it.

xpod
November 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I am doing everything I can to get people to switch to Linux. I got one of my friends to switch by calling him at 2:30 AM every morning telling him to switch or he would get another call at the same time the next morning (he folded in just over a fortnight). Another friend of mine wouldn't switch no matter how much I bugged him, but I have been going to his house to feed his cats for the past week because he is on a holiday, so I took the opportunity to format his computer and install Ubuntu on it.

Why not just worry about yourself and stop hounding others?
That last part was especially bad to hear.:(

Sealbhach
November 29th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Another friend of mine wouldn't switch no matter how much I bugged him, but I have been going to his house to feed his cats for the past week because he is on a holiday, so I took the opportunity to format his computer and install Ubuntu on it.

LOL!!! No way!!:):):)

I don't think you're supposed to do it that way.

xpod
November 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Poor guy will probably have kittens when he comes home:)

Schendje
November 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Dude, that's not the right way to get people to switch! :lolflag:

Doing this, they'll only get mad at Linux and hate everything that has to with it. They'll never try it again.

Switching to Linux has pros and cons. We really need to keep this in mind. I love it, but it's just not for everybody (yet!). I tell people about Linux when I can (and when they want to know) but I never say "CONVERT TO LINUX, NOW!".

Ozor Mox
November 29th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Why not just worry about yourself and stop hounding others?
That last part was especially bad to hear.:(

I think...he might be joking.

Eisenwinter
November 29th, 2008, 03:34 PM
If this is not a joke, then to me, you're Steve Ballmer.

these types of things go against everything free software stands for, and that, is choice.

if you really did call your friend at 2:30am everyday and told him to switch, then I'm sorry, but I hope you get beat up.

Schendje
November 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM

I sure hope so, but you never know for sure on the Internet. :)

Ozor Mox
November 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I sure hope so, but you never know for sure on the Internet. :)

True, but surely that thought must have crossed the minds of the people that are jumping all over him.

Faulty sarcasm detectors, that's what I say :)

eternalnewbee
November 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM
By the way, I've seen the name Handyman Felting here on the forums before.
I can't remember where, but I see here that this is his first post...

overdrank
November 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I have been going to his house to feed his cats for the past week because he is on a holiday, so I took the opportunity to format his computer and install Ubuntu on it.

I would have to agree with the other members on this. But let stay on topic. Thanks :)

xpod
November 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Having just noticed the post count i think your probably right(and then some) but there are still plenty who seem to take exactly that approach.

lukjad
November 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
You what?!?!?

JackyBox
November 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't take "Handyman Felting" seriously if I was you.

Click on his profile and look at his previous posts. Does the guy look stable to you? Someone who won't work because they'd have to work for a corporation? And yet decides to post on a forum run by one?

The guy's an extremist loony, assuming his posts are honest (and even if they aren't, he's still gets attention). Don't give him the satisfaction.

Eisenwinter
November 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM
so basically... troll.

lol