PDA

View Full Version : Steam for linux confirmed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bud986
November 29th, 2008, 02:52 AM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=steam_confirmation&num=1

GSZX1337
November 29th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Lol, I was just going to post a topic about this. This is awesome, when Steam (and hopefully the HL series) is fully ported to Linux, I might just get rid of my Windows partition. ;)

eragon100
November 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM
YEESSSSSSSSS!!!!

I can't believe it!!! :) :guitar: :popcorn: :KS

I can't believe that is coincidence that a bunch of linux stuff is being distributes with the windows client. It may be an error to include them right now, but still, it's clear that they are making a linux version.

AS the article says, left 4 dead, likely will get a linux client as well.

linuxguymarshall
November 29th, 2008, 09:38 AM
The beginning of an Era. What if we have purchased games for Windows steam? Will they carry over? I think they will because Steam has an entire article on running it under Wine so it's not like they don't like it.

Lostincyberspace
November 29th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Yay, now I can play portal, and half life and all the other games I play on windows on Linux.

The day of the Linux desktop is around the corner and its coming fast.

Now all we need is for Ea to port and Linux will probably take off as a gaming platform because of the much lower overhead.

eragon100
November 29th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Yay, now I can play portal, and half life and all the other games I play on windows on Linux.

The day of the Linux desktop is around the corner and its coming fast.

Now all we need is for Ea to port and Linux will probably take off as a gaming platform because of the much lower overhead.

Or Nvidia should do a "Games for Linux" program (this has also been suggested by phoronix.)

toupeiro
November 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
This is awesome news, and a true sign that Linux on the desktop is recognized!

hellion0
November 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
This might actually get me started gaming in some way other than emulated console stuff.

Keep it coming.

ghindo
November 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I know this is really cynical, but I'll only believe it when Valve itself announces it. There have been many rumors in the past, but no actual word from Valve. Chances look good, but I'd rather not get my hopes up too high.

blakjesus
November 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Half of me is happy that i will be able to play a good amount of games (and their mods) under Linux. :)

The other half is upset that steam is the one being ported to Linux; i hate how every time it starts up it has to download and install updates before you can even launch your game. Depending on the update it can end up taking me a few hours to do it, because you also have to include the game updates. :(

Dont get me wwrong, alot of Valve's games are awesome; its just the Steam client is just horrible.

grotto
November 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I know this is really cynical, but I'll only believe it when Valve itself announces it. There have been many rumors in the past, but no actual word from Valve. Chances look good, but I'd rather not get my hopes up too high.

Yes, sensationalist headline. Nothing has been confirmed at all. Valve's official stance is still "there are no plans to create a native Linux Steam Client at this time."

medic2000
November 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Great news! Day after day we are coming close to world domination :)

Sockerdrickan
November 29th, 2008, 10:57 AM
You won't believe this!:popcorn:

blakjesus
November 29th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Oh yea and this is also coming from the website saying that UT3 was coming to Linux and have been saying that for about a year.

linuxguymarshall
November 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Thats like an entire day old dude. Besides, someone already posted that.

DeadSuperHero
November 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm actually kind of bummed about this. I was really hoping to see someone develop a FOSS alternative to Steam, and plug in a set of API's to all FOSS games for integration.

Now, this only makes it harder.

And it HAS to be the most proprietary app I've ever seen.

Sockerdrickan
November 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM
If it was posted with a more obvious topic then I'd notice it.

Luke has no name
November 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I'm actually kind of bummed about this. I was really hoping to see someone develop a FOSS alternative to Steam, and plug in a set of API's to all FOSS games for integration.

Now, this only makes it harder.

And it HAS to be the most proprietary app I've ever seen.

I am very much of the opinion that making money by developing closed source applications is not a naturally BAD thing. It is especially understandable with "for-pleasure" applications like games. To limit piracy and to facilitate the easy purchase and authentication of games, Steam is a very reasonable platform. I do wish it were a bit better flowing in terms of UI design, but that's another story.

I would love to see Steam become Linux-native. There would really be no reason for me to have a Windows partition at all.

DeadSuperHero
November 29th, 2008, 12:45 PM
It's not that, necessarily. It's just that the Steam platform is one of the most restrictive ones I've used.

I mean, if you break one of their many rules in ONE game, they can delete your Steam account and remove all of the games that YOU paid for.

That doesn't strike me as truly fair. By all means, be happy that we're getting more games, just realize that it's also another shackle, another restriction in an otherwise fairly free system.

Swarms
November 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM
This is amazing, thank you for sharing!

sirjoebob
November 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
What if we have purchased games for Windows steam? Will they carry over?

I would say so. Valve is THE BEST company around today when it comes to licensing. I have installed/reinstalled Steam and all my games probably 30+ times in the past two years and haven't gotten so much as a popup warning. I say that this will still be a while in the working because they will probably port all the source-based games at once so that you can move them easily. One feature that would be nice is the ability to install games with no Linux client in Steam and have it automatically set the game up in WINE.

Phenax
November 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Yes, sensationalist headline. Nothing has been confirmed at all. Valve's official stance is still "there are no plans to create a native Linux Steam Client at this time."

Totally agreed.

mips
November 29th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I asked Vavle on 6 Oct whether they intend releasing Steam for Linux, here is the reponse I got:

========= Please enter your reply ABOVE this line =========

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello,

If we intend to release Steam/Valve games for any platform aside from Windows, we will make an annoucement explaining our intentions to do so.

Please do not inquire to the Steam support team regarding rumors or unannounced services.

Swarms
November 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Half of me is happy that i will be able to play a good amount of games (and their mods) under Linux. :)

The other half is upset that steam is the one being ported to Linux; i hate how every time it starts up it has to download and install updates before you can even launch your game. Depending on the update it can end up taking me a few hours to do it, because you also have to include the game updates. :(

Dont get me wwrong, alot of Valve's games are awesome; its just the Steam client is just horrible.

Maybe you should spend a couple of dollars on a connection that isn't dead awful. :P
My steam client updates in 1-2 minutes as a max.

RATM_Owns
November 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM
We don't need Steam. All we need is

sudo aptitude install bsdgames
:P

eragon100
November 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
If it was posted with a more obvious topic then I'd notice it.

I posted it in the community cafe with this topic:

"Steam for linux confirmed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Seems pretty obvious to me :wink:

Mr. Picklesworth
November 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM
If it does happen, I hope all of LinuxGamePublishing's stuff appears there. MindRover and the just released Linux version of X3: Reunion spring to mind :)

Indeed, though, it is completely speculation.

Polygon
November 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM
this would make me really happy, as all i play is team fortress 2 and left 4 dead =)

yay valve! your my favorite company for a reason!

cb951303
November 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Maybe you should spend a couple of dollars on a connection that isn't dead awful. :P
My steam client updates in 1-2 minutes as a max.

valve games rocks, steam sucks! that's common knowledge don't you know :)

sirjoebob
November 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have never had any issues with Steam even in wine. Steam is better than DRM BS that other companies use to "protect intellectual property" or whatever.

ade234uk
November 29th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hope this does not ruin anyones day

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759460&highlight=linux

Sockerdrickan
November 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah that's a better topic than the thread I found. But you should have posted it here!

ericesque
November 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
grow up ladies.

Naegling23
November 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
this is potentially huge. Steam is a major game distribution channel, and valve is a major game publisher. This would give, not only a large library of games to be playable on linux, as well as some future A+ titles, but the momentum that linux needs to break open the floodgates (hopefully). If publishers start coming to linux, then others may follow. It could be whats needed to get blizzard to finally make the jump.

Just keep your voice heard with your wallets everyone. Support the linux native games, and dont buy anything non-native, and make sure to tell the game companies why you are not buying their product.

SlackerTD
November 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Here I was excited in thinking that there was a press release concerning it all & that I could purchase it. While it seems closer to getting it, until I can actually buy games, I have to take it all with a grain of salt. Mind you, I'd really love to see games like this come to Linux... I'd buy them all very quick!

binbash
November 29th, 2008, 06:46 PM
It is good to see games coming to linux.More games = More ppl use linux = better linux

Polygon
November 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
valve games rocks, steam sucks! that's common knowledge don't you know :)

actually, no its not. i have had 0 problems with steam, and it is the best example of how DRM should be implemented for video games. It protects the rights of the games, without hampering the gamers ability to play it (unlimited installs, can play it anywhere, as long as your logged into steam)

steam is much better then when it first came out.

motang
November 29th, 2008, 06:53 PM
YEESSSSSSSSS!!!!

I can't believe it!!! :) :guitar: :popcorn: :KS

I can't believe that is coincidence that a bunch of linux stuff is being distributes with the windows client. It may be an error to include them right now, but still, it's clear that they are making a linux version.

AS the article says, left 4 dead, likely will get a linux client as well.
Certainly a huge news for us Linux users! Can't wait! :)

Skripka
November 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM
actually, no its not. i have had 0 problems with steam, and it is the best example of how DRM should be implemented for video games. It protects the rights of the games, without hampering the gamers ability to play it (unlimited installs, can play it anywhere, as long as your logged into steam)

steam is much better then when it first came out.

Steam is one of the more obnoxious softwares ever written, IME IMHO. I don't want to need internet to play video games stored on my local HDD-I don't want corps spying on my video game playing habits, regardless of who they are. Call me paranoid. I will say that at least Steam is reasonably functional-apart from needing a working net connection to play games.

Mason Whitaker
November 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Steam has always worked for me in WINE, so this isn't that big of news for me o:

MellonCollie
November 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Steam is one of the more obnoxious softwares ever written, IME IMHO. I don't want to need internet to play video games stored on my local HDD-I don't want corps spying on my video game playing habits, regardless of who they are. Call me paranoid. I will say that at least Steam is reasonably functional-apart from needing a working net connection to play games.

Steam has an offline mode that enables you to play games without a connection (or if it had trouble making a connection due to a firewall).

Perfect Storm
November 29th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Threads merged

fildegar
November 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Steam has an offline mode that enables you to play games without a connection (or if it had trouble making a connection due to a firewall).

Yeah, most people that argue against steam seem to be unaware of this feature.

If it is indeed true that steam and some steam games are coming to linux I will be incredibly happy! But I dare not hope for it quite yet, despite this news.

Sockerdrickan
November 29th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I wonder if ID Software's titles are gonna be on there too with their native binaries.

eragon100
November 29th, 2008, 08:23 PM
@ the people that say these binaries are for server use, here are some of the strings:

k_EMsgClientRequestForgottenPasswordEmailResponse

k_EMsgAMSetCommunityState

k_EMsgClientGetLobbyMetadataResponse

GetBillingAddress

etc.

Right, server use :rolleyes:

EDIT: if this wasn't real, don't you think that valve would have made a statement by now saying that it isn't true ??

Northsider
November 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
This is good news! But I wont be happy until I see it and can use it

anonymous_user
November 29th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Dont you have to connect at least once before you can use it though?

Anyways I cant wait for Steam for Linux. Ill be able to do without CrossOver. Woohoo!

Swarms
November 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Steam has always worked for me in WINE, so this isn't that big of news for me o:

It is more the value of marketing that is important.
Imagine if Steam helped attract many users to Ubuntu, that would help persuade several gaming companies to also launch their products on our platform.

Plus more users should also give a faster development of the platform.

blakjesus
November 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM

I have tried to do this and i have never been able to get it to work for me in Windows.

I can play games off-line as long as the steam client is started with an internet connection. After that its fine, but sometimes i have to wait a couple hours because after steam downloads its updates, it automatically starts downloading the game updates and wont let me play until its finished.

Don't get me wrong, Valve games are awesome especially with mods; but Steam really does suck.

Polygon
November 30th, 2008, 04:34 AM

im sorry if you think that a (x, y, z) coordinate, what weapon you used, and logging when you log on and off is infringing on your privacy. They release this data publiclly, and none of the info they collect should be of any care to you.....

steam also has an offline mode. To get this to work, you HAVE to have an internet connection, make sure all your games are updated 100% then you have to select 'go to offline mode' and then after that (when you do not have a net connection) it should work. You also have to have 'save my password' enabled i believe

supposedly its 'wishful thinking (http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1045619&cid=25925549) but that still does not quell the fact that valve posted a job offer on their site for a linux programmer and postal 3 is set to come out on linux, so i guess we will just have to wait and see

immerohnegott
November 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't say "confirmed" just yet. I trust Phoronix, and a few of the files and strings referenced seem to point at a full on steam client for linux - namely the renderer and engine .so files and the strings regarding lost passwords (IIRC, you don't need a password to run the dedicated server), but Valve have yet to release any kind of statement confirming or denying this (which they really ought to do before people start beating their doors down).

For now, I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope that maybe we'll get a pretty sweet present from Software Claus before too long...

MellonCollie
November 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Dont you have to connect at least once before you can use it though?

You do.

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Steve H
December 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM
At last!! Yes, I know it hasn't been confirmed by Valve yet, but they have been looking to hire for someone to port from Windows to Linux, which has got to count for something.

And now that the Linux headers have been found inside the code for Left 4 Dead, then this is (IMHO) definitely pointing towards some sort of move towards porting to linux.

Valve have also mentioned that Postal3 will be cross-platform, working on both Windows & Linux.

When the glorious day comes and Steam works natively on Linux then it's bye-bye Windows for me!!

Luke has no name
December 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM
All these people saying "Just stick with windows, it's the standard" don't get it. Should Steam be able to afford development of Linux ports (which, given their high profit-margin model, I would think they could), they would have a near monopoly on Linux gaming, and would earn the loyalty of thousands of people who enjoy gaming and Linux.

kevin11951
December 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
All these people saying "Just stick with windows, it's the standard" don't get it. Should Steam be able to afford development of Linux ports (which, given their high profit-margin model, I would think they could), they would have a near monopoly on Linux gaming, and would earn the loyalty of thousands of people who enjoy gaming and Linux.

...which is kind of scary if you think about it.

Swarms
December 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
...which is kind of scary if you think about it.

Well no, because other companies are most welcome to join in, competing for the customers.

Mr. Picklesworth
December 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Well, I just hope they use a real user interface library if they port it to Linux. VGUI is great in game, but it is a mess when they use it in Steam, over the desktop. Dragging windows is slow, drawing windows is slow, and it looks horribly ugly.

Paqman
December 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Good point, they'd be the portal for gaming on Linux. Interesting.

Still, even if more games were available for Linux, I don't think you'd see much of a migration from the gaming community unless we also sorted out the graphics card driver situation.

sunoccard
December 6th, 2008, 02:28 AM
if this is true (and it probably is) do you think that we can finally see major publishings for linux? I doubt, to be honest, that one cmopany will lead this trend, but it's a good step, now excuse me while i go on a zombie killing spree

barbedsaber
December 6th, 2008, 05:33 AM
wait, you mean official, and not through wine.
this is huge!
am I the only one who sees the irony of the WINE project. It will be a major part of linux adoption, but as soon as its gets some SERIOUS use, it will become obsolete, because more people will do what steam is doing RIGHT NOW.

barbedsaber
December 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM
... they would have a near monopoly on Linux gaming, and would earn the loyalty of thousands of people who enjoy gaming and Linux.

its the same story with HP and printers.
HP has put a fair bit of effort into providing easy to use drivers for their printers, for linux users. While the marked may be small, almost every single linux user would probably (not necessarily) want to get a HP printer, because they can be quite confident that it will work with a minimum of fuss. Whats more, linux on the desktop is growing (slowly but surely) and HP are already on the bandwagon.

doorknob60
December 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Well, I just hope they use a real user interface library if they port it to Linux. VGUI is great in game, but it is a mess when they use it in Steam, over the desktop. Dragging windows is slow, drawing windows is slow, and it looks horribly ugly.

Yes, I hope they use GTK or QT (and in the meantime do the same for the Windows client too). Assuming this is real of course (sounds pretty likely).

Capt. Mac
December 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM
The article title (which inspired the topic title) blows the facts way out of proportion. Steam for Linux is far from confirmed. Until Valve makes an official press release, all this amounts to is speculation; nothing more, nothing less. I would love nothing more than to play a good round of Counter-Strike natively on Ubuntu, but I'm not going to get my hopes up because some dude with a steam account and an internet connection decided that it was 'confirmed.'

steam also has an offline mode. To get this to work, you HAVE to have an internet connection, make sure all your games are updated 100% then you have to select 'go to offline mode' and then after that (when you do not have a net connection) it should work. You also have to have 'save my password' enabled i believe

Steam's offline mode is a joke. You have to have an internet connection to enable it. Countless times my internet has gone out, and I wanted to play a single player game like Half-Life, only to find that it wouldn't let me access my account.

Also worth noting is that Phoronix believes that this has been confirmed since May (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=source_linux&num=1). Not surprisingly, this article was written by the same person.

Polygon
December 6th, 2008, 10:38 AM
and i doubt they are gonna make a gtk steam client, even the windows version uses VGUI for some odd reason.

CholericKoala
December 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM
You do not need to be online to use steam. You just have to wait a disgustingly long time for it to tell you that you are not online. Then you can play.

newbie2
December 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html

mrgnash
December 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I don't see anything from Valve themselves "confirming" a port of Steam for Linux? I do hope that it turns out to be the case though. I know that a lot of people don't like the Steam client, but I think it's actually a pretty good platform for getting games out there -- and if it gives us access to native clients for Valve's own excellent titles, then hurrah :D

Alexpants
December 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Oh wow. it'd be awesome if this happened! It's odd though, because I recently attended a Microsoft Community Press event which Valve were also in attendance, to show left 4 dead before release. I chatted to the guys there, about a possible Macintosh version, and they said there were no current plans to dev for anything but windows.
I hope it's a change of tune, but until I see an official announcement I shall remain pessimistic.

sunoccard
December 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
if it does come to linux, do yu think we'd get it all straight off? or have to wait while they slow release one game at a time?

either way will make sense but, it would tick a lot of users off if they released games one by one

Polygon
December 6th, 2008, 03:33 PM
they would most likely release just the steam client, so games that use the source engine (read: postal 3) would work properly

and as for individual games, there are a lot....cs 1.6, css, half life, opposing force, blue shift, half life 2. half life 2 ep 1, half life 2 ep 2, team fortress 2, portal, left 4 dead, and of course the upcoming portal 2 and half life 2 epispode 3. the content (maps, models, sounds, etc) of these games are platform independent, but the actual game code for each of these games would most likely require some sort of modifcation to work on a different operating system. It would be a while.....if they do decide to do it.

Aiello
December 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I think we are getting way too exited about this. We are believing that Steam for Linux is confirmed because some tech blog said so? I don't know...

Besides, what rational would there be behind Valve releasing a Linux version of Steam before a Mac version?

dannytatom
December 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Aiello see:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html

^ makes me think it's true.

Aiello
December 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM
http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html: Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform.

Well, that certainly is a step in the right direction!

Polygon
December 7th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I think we are getting way too exited about this. We are believing that Steam for Linux is confirmed because some tech blog said so? I don't know...

Besides, what rational would there be behind Valve releasing a Linux version of Steam before a Mac version?

also, the fact that the strings in the linux binaries for the L4D demo had stuff like 'forgetpasswordreset" and 'communitystate", which a server in theory would have no need for....and the fact that postal 3 is supposed to be using the source engine and have a linux port when it comes out. Of course we have no real hard evidence at the moment, but little stuff like this is good too =)

TheLinuxNewb
December 7th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Or, I can just continue to use WINE.... Dont get me wrong, this would be a great thing, but I've already got steam installed within linux, so I'm not overly excited about this.

Polygon
December 7th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Or, I can just continue to use WINE.... Dont get me wrong, this would be a great thing, but I've already got steam installed within linux, so I'm not overly excited about this.

thing is, on my old computer (amd athlon xp 2.1 ghsz, ati radeon 9800), i could run all the source games fine in windows, but under linux with WINE it would run at like .2 fps......so its a great alterative for people with good computers, but people who have worse computers are out of luck =/

Swarms
December 7th, 2008, 04:00 AM
thing is, on my old computer (amd athlon xp 2.1 ghsz, ati radeon 9800), i could run all the source games fine in windows, but under linux with WINE it would run at like .2 fps......so its a great alterative for people with good computers, but people who have worse computers are out of luck =/

Exactly, was the issue with my old laptop. Performance is worse through Wine.

Steve H
February 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
So has there been anymore news on this?

It's all gone very quiet!!