View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] problem with internet access (probably dns)

November 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I have a problem: I no longer can surf the internet on my ubuntu machine, although I still can access my router configuration by typing it's ip address in firefox. My network is made of a linksys router, a ubuntu pc and a windows pc. On the windows one I can access the internet.

Is it a problem with dns on ubuntu and how do I solve this?

November 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM
try (in terminal)
/etc/init.d/network restart
if that doesn't work
sudo /etc/init.d/network restart
type your password, press enter.

if that doesn't work reboot the router, if that doesn't work check your IP configuration on your machine (ifconfig) to make sure everything is cool.. System -> Preferences-> Network Configuration to modify settings on a network interface. Click your interface, then edit. Go to IPv4 Config, and make sure its set to DHCP (if you use DHCP, if you don't know what it is, you do) it may be shown as DHCP (Automatic).

November 29th, 2008, 10:03 AM
The output of sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart (the /etc/init.d/network didn't work)

* Reconfiguring network interfaces... [ OK ]

d0minik@d0minik-desktop:~$ * Stopping NTP server ntpd


* Starting NTP server ntpd


When I try to use the network configuration tool, there is a connection Ifupdown eth0, which I cannot edit.
Also, when I try to run nm-applet , it shows:

** (nm-applet:11871): WARNING **: <WARN> applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service as it is already taken. Return: 3

(nm-applet:11871): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

The output of ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:17:4d:80:24
inet addr: Bcast: Mask:
inet6 addr: fe80::216:17ff:fe4d:8024/64 Scope:Link
RX packets:301 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:275 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:71582 (71.5 KB) TX bytes:39292 (39.2 KB)
Interrupt:23 Base address:0xa000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr: Mask:
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
RX packets:506 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:506 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:34684 (34.6 KB) TX bytes:34684 (34.6 KB)

Restarting the router didn't work.

The whole thing started after I connected my mobile phone using a cable, a popup telling about connecting using the phone showed up. I think it overwrote something :|

November 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
It might have. Can you access the internet? Your IP Configuration looks fine, and I have no clue what nm-applet is smoking. Not sure what the error is trying to say.. maybe that it can't get access to the user settings? (It seems to say that). Does anyone know about the nm-applet? Try connecting your computer to the cable modem directly (or DSLAM if you have DSL)

November 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Perhaps it did. I'm not sure what is going on with nm-applet. Try directly connecting your desktop to the Cable Modem or DSLAM if you have DSL. The ipconfig looks perfect. Not sure what is going on. Does someone know about nm-applet. Have you tried a restart? Can you access the internet through the router?

Sorry for the doubt post, my browser was giving me a 502 from the server.

November 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Check if your default gateway is correct, you should see something like this typing route -n in the console:

Tabla de rutas IP del núcleo
Destino Pasarela Genmask Indic Métric Ref Uso Interfaz U 2 0 0 wlan0 U 0 0 0 tap0 U 1000 0 0 wlan0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

You should have an entry
if not you have not defined your default gw.

Then check /etc/resolv.conf
you must have entries like these
search anyword.anyextension
nameserver ip1
nameserver ip2

if not, configure your DNS

November 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM
It seems that's everything alright in the routing table:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface U 0 0 0 eth0 U 1000 0 0 eth0 UG 100 0 0 eth0

When I opened /etc/resolv.conf it was blank. I added nameserver and IP of my router, and WOOHOO, it works (for now at least) :guitar: Thanks a bunch :)