PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can I use Rosetta Stone?

gshockxc
November 29th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I have Rosetta Stone that I've used on another machine with XP. I was wondering if anyone has used this with Wine in Ubuntu. I don't have internet access yet, so I haven't downloaded any other programs than what come with Ubuntu on the install.

I don't even know if I have Wine on my Ubuntu machine or not.

Thanks.

BurnedKirby
November 29th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Rosetta Stone is only available for Windows and Mac OS.
But I'm not sure if it is usable through Wine. Doesn't hurt trying though.

NotoriousMOK
November 29th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I've used it through wine and it works good -- the display looks a little different, but still very usable.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=607470

I don't recall having to do anything different, but I've got the above thread subscribed, so I may have needed it.

Good luck and have fun!

aysiu
November 29th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Some versions of Rosetta Stone get gold or platinum ratings on the Wine website (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1867). Others are rated as garbage, bronze, or silver.

Keen101
November 29th, 2008, 06:22 AM
once you have internet access use this command in a terminal to install wine.

sudo apt-get install wine

barbapapa1
December 18th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Hi, I am trying to use Rosetta Stone through Wine, but to access the online version, not through installing it with a CD. I am using Hardy on an HP DV1000. 1) I installed wine 2) Opened firefox and downloaded shockwave(tried 11 and 10.2), 3) Tried to run rosetta stone. Initially the R.S. website would do a test and tell me that everything was ready to go for the program to run, but then it would hang on a screen saying 'installing shockwave'. After searching the forum I tried to roll back to shockwave 10.2 and it just crashed firefox. I tried to reinstall shockwave 11, and now firefox just crashes like with the 10.2 version. Anyone get this to work?