PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gambas runtime

UpsideDownFace
November 28th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I have installed Gambas2 via System=>Administration=>Synaptic Package Manager. Applications=>Programming now has Gambas2 which i ran and wrote a program with a single form, a label saying "Hello", a button with "OK" on it.
This works on the computer with the Gambas Design System, but I want to write programs which I can send to computers that don't have Gambas installed.
So I copied the resulting program via a thumb-stick to another computer, where the program totally failed to respond to a double click.
An e-mail to "gambas@sourceforge.net" produced the reply that because Gambas is interpreted it must have the "Gambas-Runtime" installed.

I have not been able to find how to install gambas-runtime on a computer which doesn't have gambas in full.

"Synaptic Package Manager"=> Search for gambas-runtime allows me to install it, but it doesn't work.
"which gbr2" gives "/usr/bin/gbr2" which looks what I would expect.

Gambas seems to be what I want for quick GUI program development, but is not much use if I can't distribute the programs!

I have struggled in the past with Visual Basic and VB.NET but Gambas seems much better, and doesn't have the handicap of needing an operating system I abandoned several years ago.

Can anybody help please?