PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Data Transfer From Windows PC to new Ubuntu PC

HaveNoClue
November 28th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I am going to buy a new PC with Ubuntu (no windows). How do I transfer files from my existing Windows 98 PC to the new Ubuntu PC? The existing PC has USB 1.1, serial & parallel ports. Has CD reader; no writer. I would like to keep the Windows PC intact to maintain some of the programs without dealing with a dualboot situation on the new PC (my user name is true). Thank you.

Olivier2371
November 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Hello there and Welcoe,

If your are talking about personal files, just copy them to a usb stick or SD card. You could also burn to a cd.

Hope his helps

Olivier2371
November 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Sorry forget about burning them to a cd.

damis648
November 28th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Yes, just using a USB flash drive/external hard drive would probably be the best option. You are on USB 1.1 however, which means that if you have lots of files it will take a very long time. From where will you be ordering your PC, and how large is the total of the files you need to copy?

HaveNoClue
November 29th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Not sure about total file size since I am not at my home PC. But consider that the PC is 8 years old and might have a 40 gig HD max; maybe one or two gig of worthwhile files.
I have seen USB 2.0/1.1 cables and Tornado, but all are Windows only.
Speed is not really a consideration; I will probably not do a mass migration. Good time to look at each file and clean house. I'll likely move a file, try it in Ubuntu, reformat if necessary, etc.
Will likely buy a locally built PC. Hardware suggestions for internet browsing and basic Office work? I am not a gamer, not that there's anything wrong with gamers. Some of my best friends are gamers. Will likely add a digital camera once I get used to Ubuntu.
Thanks again.

damis648
November 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Not sure about total file size since I am not at my home PC. But consider that the PC is 8 years old and might have a 40 gig HD max; maybe one or two gig of worthwhile files.
I have seen USB 2.0/1.1 cables and Tornado, but all are Windows only.
Speed is not really a consideration; I will probably not do a mass migration. Good time to look at each file and clean house. I'll likely move a file, try it in Ubuntu, reformat if necessary, etc.
Will likely buy a locally built PC. Hardware suggestions for internet browsing and basic Office work? I am not a gamer, not that there's anything wrong with gamers. Some of my best friends are gamers. Will likely add a digital camera once I get used to Ubuntu.
Thanks again.

Okay, if it is only maybe one or two gigs of worthwhile files than perhaps a 4GB flash drive will do nicely. Just make sure that it has drivers for Windows 98, not many things do nowadays. They go cheap nowadays, maybe $15. Just plug it in and copy to the drive, then copy to your new computer. I cannot offer many hardware suggestions, as I do not know what you may be able to find. As a ballpark, maybe a 1-2Ghz processor, 80GB Hard drive, 1Gb of RAM. You do not need much for basic office work and Internet browsing.

EDIT: If you do not mind ordering online, System76 has great Ubuntu systems. I recommend this computer (http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=80), basic and gets the job done.

EDIT 2: Also see ZaReason for good deals. This (http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16167&cat=0&page=1) looks fair.

HaveNoClue
November 29th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Thank you very much for the info and links. I also browsed "hardware" and am thoroughly impressed by the knowledge and professionalism of the forum members. Thanks again.:KS

damis648
November 29th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Thank you very much for the info and links. I also browsed "hardware" and am thoroughly impressed by the knowledge and professionalism of the forum members. Thanks again.:KS

No problem!:popcorn: