PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help - back in low graphics mode

jebsector
November 28th, 2008, 08:50 PM
All:

I had this problem previously when upgrading ubuntu 8. I have an n-vidia gforce 9600 GT graphics card, which is too new for the standard linux drivers that accompany ubuntu.

Problem is, it seems every time I install the ubuntu updates on my machine, it hoses my graphics, and I end up in low graphics mode. Help? I installed the linux driver via the nvidia instructions online for this graphics card.

Thanks, sorry for the trouble..

inobe
November 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
how did the driver install go ?

you know that 8.04 LTS is still supported and very stable, correct ?

their is no real or logical reason to upgrade !

jebsector
November 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I know it is another great release of the os.

I get that update icon glaring at me in the upper-right corner and I just itch to install the latest updates.

For this problem, it resolved by installing 'envy', and removing the nvidia drivers. When I downloaded the latest nvidia driver from their website for the 9600-GT, I installed via the usual 'sudo /etc/init.d/dgm stop', sh nvidia*, /etc/init.d/gdm start sequence of commands. Installed fine and I'm back up in minutes. I'm wondering if what I did with 'envy' will keep the problem from happening again when I apply the ubuntu updates. Don't know until I try a few times.

You know, aside from small things like that, I can't really go back to things like fedora or suse, ubuntu is really getting for me like firefox is to exploder. ;|