PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading from 6.10 to 8.10

gil michael
November 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
hi,
i have ubuntu 6.10 installed on my computer. i want to upgrade it to ubuntu 8.10.
i have no important information on my ubuntu.
i have also windows xp installed on my computer.

is it a good idea to format the ubuntu drive (i think it is ext3) and then install the new 8.10 ubuntu?

will that make any damage to my windows wp (which is installed on a NTFS drive)?

what will happen to the boot menu (the menu from which i can choose what OS i want to run)?

Regards,
Gil

collinp
November 28th, 2008, 07:18 PM
The Ubuntu Installer can import your old settings and files, and it should guide you through every step easily enough. Don't format, just follow what the installer says. It wont pwn your Windows install either.

jjmono987
November 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM
i cant remember how to upgrade while im in ubuntu 8.04 how do i do that

pickboy87
November 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
i cant remember how to upgrade while im in ubuntu 8.04 how do i do that

System -> Adminstration -> Software Sources -> Updates (tab)

Change the Release Upgrade to Normal releases. Then check for updates.

jjmono987
November 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
ok thanks

icanfly0307
November 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Is it possible to upgrade from an old release like 6.10 to 8.10? I'd be interested to know if it works without you having to do a clean install. :)

skib1999
November 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
so far was unable to upgrade from any ver to new one 8.10

so far to me 810 ubuntu and 810 kubuntu is as good as windows vista

I tried to install these both one and a time on my computer and so far no good tried with xp pro and I was able to install kubuntu within windows but after a few reboots kubuntu crashed it comes with gnome instead od kde very strange
I ordered the cd,s from ubuntu web sight.

ubuntu 7.04 was so dam easy to set up as dual boot and so sturdy and crash free why did they go and f--- up a fantastic os for what the ver 8.10 is

I still luv linux much better than win

one proublem with trying to install dual boot with ubuntu8.10 is when ubuntu reboots it freezes black screen like graphics proublem one time that helped me get me up safe boot grapics help

only to crash again

louieb
November 28th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Is it possible to upgrade from an old release.
LTS (long term support) releases can be upgraded to the next LTS release for 3 years. That means 6.06 can be upgraded to 8.04 until July 2009.

Normal releases can be upgraded to the next release for 18 months. That mean if your release is 6.10 or older it can not be upgraded and in order to get the latest (or newer) version you will have to do a fresh install. (except for 6.06 as noted above).