PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Installation CD menu items just reboot computer.

EricBelcastro
November 28th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu, and after using it without any problems for a few weeks, I uninstalled virtualbox using synaptic, and in return my computer would not boot - I just got a kernel panic. That is really no problem, as I was planning on moving on to Ubuntu Studio anyway. However, when I boot from CD - either the Ubuntu installation CD or the Ubuntu Studio installation CD and click on any menu item, such as install or check CD for errors, the computer just restarts itself and then boots from CD again back into the menu. I can do this any number of times, with any of the menu items, and I have taken a look at the BIOS options, and they seem to be the same as they always were, so I am at a loss. I would appreciate any ideas - I have looked through the forums and haven't seen this particular issue mentioned.

The PC is Pentium 4 - can't remember the rest of the specs - and really hasn't had any problems running Scientific Linux or Ubuntu, so I don't believe there are any hardware issues involved. (Also, Bbuntu would not start in recovery mode, so there isn't anything I can do there). It would be nice to grab a few files first from the old Ubuntu installation before overwriting it, but no big deal if i have to just start over.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Eric

EricBelcastro
November 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Also - it is important to note that when I click on a menu item it restarts the computer INSTANTLY, not after some sort of long install process.

EricBelcastro
November 29th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I have been running memtest86+ all night long and it is turning up a massive amount of errors around 75% through, it is still turning up a solid wall of errors. I am going to try seating the RAM chips and if that doesn't work, I'll try removing all but one and use memtest86+ each time. Any other ideas?

EricBelcastro
November 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Well, I decided to re-seat the RAM and indeed that did the trick. Everything booted just fine afterwards. Case solved - and without any responses too. That's pretty cool. :KS