PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade or Clean install

Flirtilizer
November 28th, 2008, 01:27 PM
A couple of questions.

I just installed, my 8.x CD was defective so I'm downloading again now. I don't think I got a good download but the CD was definatly bad.

Is there any real benefit in starting with 8. I had a good 7.x CD and have installed that and am doing updates now. Once I get the download, if I get the download... I'm in the Philippines, I may never get it. :) Grrr and her comes another thunderstorm. LOL I will probably loose connection and have to start anew, again. Is it worth the trouble to go through a clean install. Since I have an otherwise clean HD its not tha big of deal to re-install.

Wine. Who do I install it. I found an old thread but it was back in 2004.
Those instructions said install wine and then run this and that. Please start with how to install before getting to this and that. LOL

I really appreciate the help.

Oh my this storm is looking bad. I may be gone for days....

razy60
November 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
If you have a clean HDD and nothing that you desperately need to save go for a clean install of 8.10.

Thunder storms ha! we got heavy drizzle here, gets right into socks.:lolflag:

Kevbert
November 28th, 2008, 02:14 PM
A clean install is probably best. I'd personally go for Hardy Heron 8.04 as it has long term support and is more stable (at least for me).
Regarding Wine. You should be able to find it via Synaptic Package Manager. If you want to run Windows files just click on the .exe file while browsing via Nautilus File Manager. Please be aware that some Windows programs may not work.

Flirtilizer
November 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
If you have a clean HDD and nothing that you desperately need to save go for a clean install of 8.10.

Thunder storms ha! we got heavy drizzle here, gets right into socks.:lolflag:

Drizzle? You mean the air doesn't come noarmlly soaked in water? I mean lots and lots of air? All medication comes individually wrapped here so the humidity doesn't cause it to disolve. :) Storms come up here and our lights go out for days. But man, the Filipina are worth it. But paradise does have its throwns

Okay I'll install 8 once I get it dl'd again. I'm having lots of problems. Nothings working.

So far two people have given me commands to run and so far both of them return errors

how do I log in as root?

I'm too old for all these new things, its making me tense. LOL

Kevbert
November 28th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Why do you want to log-in as root ? It's generally not recommended for security reasons. If you need to use a temporary command you can use 'sudo'
i.e.

sudo lshw
as an example.
If you need to do more than this, you can use

sudo su
It's fine rain, dull and grey here in the UK at the moment. We complain about the traffic congestion, but having visited Manila, I think I know what real traffic problems are like. Are you in the monsoon season then ?
Cheers
Kevin.

Flirtilizer
November 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I was kidding about the drizzle, we do get that here, everything you get minus snow plus typhoons :) No lockness but not telling what's up in those mmoutains. :) Gorilla's for one but they carry guns. I'm originally from the USA.

I was in memphis the last 20 years and if these people tried to drive the way they do here, someone would put a bullet in them. I called it commando driving and even the Filipino think its humerous. You cannot comprehend it, trust me. i'm laughing now thinking about. It is very unorderly. Lot of Brits here, have not seen any driving. :) I've been here 9 months and I think I'm finally read. LOL

I have Ubuntu 8 installed and I totally love it. Going a little crazy over passwords but other than that it rocks.

Kevbert
November 30th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Good to hear things are working.
Manila is the only place where I've seen cars and vans drive across a garage forecourt to jump a traffic queue. Commando driving in the UK for us is virtually non existent.