PDA

View Full Version : Are You an Insomniac?

Kelpie
December 6th, 2005, 02:40 AM
i was just wondering how many people of this community are actually insomniacs...
You dont have to tell me why, i just want to see how many actually are.

I cant sleep at night very well without the help of a sleeping aid, so i'm an insomniac.

psoleko
December 6th, 2005, 02:58 AM
I've never really been an insomniac though I can get by with very little sleep. Sadly I am not and never will be a morning person, I have had to adjust in order to be inline with the rest of the business world. But I truly do my best work and thinking at night which is why I usually don't get to bed early.

23meg
December 6th, 2005, 03:02 AM
I go with choice 4. I do have truly amnesiac periods as well, due to caffeine consumption, nervous system workload and unbalanced sleep cycle. I also work best at night.

Zimmer
December 6th, 2005, 03:05 AM
I am just here at this ungodly hour as it is the quietest time to concentrate on things 'computing'...without interruption...

Zimmer

bored2k
December 6th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Although my life gets quite busy, I'm just nocturnal.

matthew
December 6th, 2005, 03:13 AM
"Other." Well, I don't sleep much, but the reasons don't quite fit the neat categories...it depends on the day. Sometimes I'm busy. Some days my kids need me (I work from home right now) so I wait to work when they are sleeping. Sometimes night time is when it is quieter and so I can think more. Sometimes I have too much caffeine. Sometimes I am spending too much time reading silly posts and participating in polls and forget to sleep. Sometimes I actually do well at NetHack. Sometimes I like to watch "The West Wing" marathons. Finally, sometimes I really do have insomnia and find myself up most of the night for no reason whatsoever...

Kelpie
December 6th, 2005, 03:15 AM
i run into the problem of being nocturnal too, but since school is during the day, atleast until im 18 :/ i really wish they made night schooling for us nocturnal teens who think better at night because it screws with my sleeping pattern to be nocturnal/insomniac, but since i used to be on meds that make me tired, thats screwed it up too because im tired during the day and night so i may not think my best during the night but i have alot more energy during the night and can think better, i do wonder what the connection between the night and thinking better and having more energy is, its something id like to know. but here lately ive been going through alot of stress and the fact that i also have ADHD makes it all the more harder to sleep, i usually get 3-4 hours of sleep unless i got a headache and take a pill for it that makes me tired

gabhla
December 6th, 2005, 03:15 AM
I like the night. Always have, but, sadly it doesn't conform to convention. And have always had trouble sleeping at night.

kassetra
December 6th, 2005, 03:35 AM
You've got to be kidding me. ROFLMFAO

The running joke of the forum: kass only sleeps maybe once every nine days or so. ;)

nemik
December 6th, 2005, 03:51 AM
definetly, and night person to boot. no matter how early i have to wake up for uni, i always spend late into the night reading about new projects, python programming, doing some programming, etc etc.

only time i can get a really 'normal' sleep is when i go on holiday with my girlfriend. no computer, sometimes a mobile, and 'getting some' really do wonders for sleep! :D

xmastree
December 6th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Recently I have been. Had some personal problems which keep me awake sometimes. Xanor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanor) helps...

psoleko
December 6th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Hmm if I ever wanted to start writing fantasy novels good to know I could just borrow a few drug names. Take random drug name, add a place a voila..Xanor and the Castle of Darkness; Solanax and the Pit of Doom.

gord
December 6th, 2005, 03:58 AM
its 2:55am, what do you think? ;)

allthough the nice thing about laying in bed not being able to sleep is the ammount of thinking you get done, the meening of life is easy to an insomniac ;)

darkmatter
December 6th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Yup...insomniac AND nocturnal... Th sun makes me burst into flames...

WildTangent
December 6th, 2005, 04:15 AM
I'm mostly nocturnal, but having school during the day messes that up. During weekends, I often stay up until 3am, and then get tired. This is because I'm slightly adjusted to being awake during the day. During breaks from school, I rarely sleep during the normal hours, preferring to stay awake from whenever I wake up (around 12pm-3pm) til 6am. Night-time is peaceful, and no one in my house bothers me, thus I can be relaxed, and work productively. Ah...if only I could explain this all so my parents can understand. They don't approve of my nocturnal habits.

Carpe Noctem.

-Wild

xmastree
December 6th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Take random drug name, add a place a voila..Xanor and the Castle of Darkness; Solanax and the Pit of Doom.Heh, and if you're stuck for inspiration, Take a random drug... :rolleyes:

Best not to go there...

BTW, you guys all think it's the middle of the night? Where I am it's 11:15 am and I've been up since about 7:30

I tend to have a beer in the evening, not too much though. One litre bottle usually. That can help.

Edit: Insomniac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomniac_with_Dave_Attell) is one of my favourite TV programmes

Edit 2: Heh, I just thought of something. Xanor, the worrier princess. :razz:

KiwiNZ
December 6th, 2005, 04:25 AM
I have no idea if I am , I have tried to stay awake to check but I keep falling to sleep

professor_chaos
December 6th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Like the line for "Fight Club" (only one of the best movies ever). "When you have insomnia, you're never really asleep... and you're never really awake. "

Thats me until saturday about 11am.

benplaut
December 6th, 2005, 07:54 AM
i just have alot to do... when you're in middle school with 2h of work each night, plus get home late, plus have alot of computer hobbies... you stay up pretty late.

i like the morning more, but i get less quiet time in the morning than at night

Joe_CoT
December 6th, 2005, 07:59 AM
I'm in college, and while I'm nocturnal, most of my professors are not. 10 am classes can quickly change your sleep cycle, though since it's 2am now and I'm still not asleep, I guess some days it works better than others.

Iandefor
December 6th, 2005, 08:00 AM
I usually get around 6-7 hours a night, which works fine for me. I've heard that people my age (~15) should be getting more sleep than that, and I'd sure as heck like to get more, but my school schedule + my hobbies (like playing 'round with computers, chatting with friends on IM, drinking coffee :))
usually ensure that I don't get too much sleep.

majikstreet
December 6th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I didn't vote. I am unsure of what I am... It takes me longer than it should to fall asleep, and sometimes I can't fall asleep for hours... One day during the summer I went to bed at 11:30 and stayed awake till four or five in the morning reading so I could fall asleep....... I'll have to tell my pschiatrist that I've had more trouble sleeping than last time.. Thanks for making me think about it :)

edit: oh yeah, Risperdal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risperdal ) and Lexapro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexapro ) don't seem to help with Insomnia, or depression either..

edit #2: just saw a side effect of risperdal: insomnia! which I may have had, along with weight gain.. so that's why!

Kelpie
December 6th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I didn't vote. I am unsure of what I am... It takes me longer than it should to fall asleep, and sometimes I can't fall asleep for hours... One day during the summer I went to bed at 11:30 and stayed awake till four or five in the morning reading so I could fall asleep....... I'll have to tell my pschiatrist that I've had more trouble sleeping than last time.. Thanks for making me think about it :)

edit: oh yeah, Risperdal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risperdal ) and Lexapro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexapro ) don't seem to help with Insomnia, or depression either..

edit #2: just saw a side effect of risperdal: insomnia! which I may have had, along with weight gain.. so that's why!
well since im bi-polar i take risperdal :/ no wonder... but i am an insomniac and nocturnal at heart

BWF89
December 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Other

I go to bed round 11:30 - 12 midnight and get up at 5:30AM. I'm not tired in school.

ember
December 6th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Well, at the moment, I don't sleep that much. Unfortunately the day has only 24 hours which is very bad if you have work for 30. But I still hope I can get to my usual 7 - 8 hours a night once my I have my CS degree.
Yet I never liked getting up significantly before 8:30, so I hope I will never need to ;)

basketcase
December 6th, 2005, 04:59 PM
It seems here recently I have become one?

Before I'd get a solid 9 hours of sleep, and be good for the day, now it seems that I can't fall asleep very well, and I'm always tired.

teaker1s
December 6th, 2005, 05:12 PM
time is variable eg being nagged it's slow and when your interested in something there's never enough-:KS

ember
December 6th, 2005, 06:46 PM
It seems here recently I have become one?

Before I'd get a solid 9 hours of sleep, and be good for the day, now it seems that I can't fall asleep very well, and I'm always tired.

You could try some herbal pharmacy. Used to help me once when I had the same problem.

Kelpie
December 6th, 2005, 07:05 PM
You could try some herbal pharmacy. Used to help me once when I had the same problem.

you know id actually like to do the whole natural pills things but one time i did that for allergies and everything inside that pill i was allergic too http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sylentdeath/15.gif so yeah no natural stuff for me, cause im allergic to a 101 million things xD

ember
December 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM
O.k. I can understand that ;) ... fortunately I am only allergic to penicillin.

If you use chemical pharmacy, just keep an eye on not using it too long - I've been told that you get addicted.

Kelpie
December 6th, 2005, 07:54 PM
O.k. I can understand that ;) ... fortunately I am only allergic to penicillin.

If you use chemical pharmacy, just keep an eye on not using it too long - I've been told that you get addicted.
actually yes my body is addicted to some of the meds i take now but only physically am i addicted

chimera
December 6th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Let's see...
on a normal day (from monday to friday, from first september to sixteenth june), I wake up around 6in the morning and go to bed at around 1 in the morning, so I sleep 5 hours on average, but I don't really have a loss of sleep since I sleep through most of the weekends(I sleep from 5 to 10 hours during the weekend, depends on how much schoolwork I have to do)

ember
December 6th, 2005, 11:30 PM
actually yes my body is addicted to some of the meds i take now but only physically am i addicted

Well - I guess that's a burden one must carry in a world that cares much more for economical growth than ecological balance.
In the case of sedatives additionally they cease to work the longer you take them. At least that is what a friend told me and she had to use them for quite a while.