PDA

View Full Version : ahoy there mateys

malcanta
December 6th, 2005, 02:38 AM
just wanted to say hi to everyone...glad to be here.

I ran windows 98 (at home at least) until August 2004. A friend gave me a copy of windows xp to to try and I could never get it to install. I could also never get a proper dual boot thing going and could not break away from MS Office.

So I ditched the PC and bought a powerbook which was awesome, I could keep ms office and use a current os, and ditch windows which was good. Ditching the pc was a bad idea though, as the wife and I needed to take turns on the powerbook!

Then I discovered Azureus, and VLC, and mactheripper, and other OSS. So i bought a used pc (1.2 ghz duron, 40gb hd) to use a second computer. installed Suse and away i went happily, set up samba, azureus, print sharing and all was good until i ran out of room.

sooooo (this is where it gets really funny!!!) i went out on black friday at 4 am to staples and bought a $30 hd and $20 dvd burner. unfortunately when formatting my hd this total noob set the mount point as /home!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!

after that disaster i had an excuse for trying another distro and here i am! i knew ubuntu from trying a ppc live distro which ran beautifully on my powerbook.

so i signed up to the forums today, because after this post i seriously need to look for help from you kind people setting up printer sharing and samba. i've battled for 10 days now and i just cannot get it to work; i'm so not used to command line. kde and suse was all gui oriented.

psoleko
December 6th, 2005, 03:02 AM
welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll find all your questions answered here somewhere. The search feature is your friend can't say how many times I have wondered how to do something and lo and behold it was answered. Although feel free to ask again, and once again welcome.