PDA

View Full Version : Should we prevent virtualization of linux on windows??????

abhilashm86
November 28th, 2008, 06:42 AM
using linux in windows by the concept of virtualization makes ubuntu less scope to windows........there's no comparision to ubuntu heights...........so is it right to do virtualization???????

p_quarles
November 28th, 2008, 06:53 AM
What is this thread about, exactly?

I want to close it, but I'll offer you a chance to clarify first.

Grant A.
November 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Since when is Windows virtualization not allowed in Linux? On top of that, the GPL is Free as in Freedom and Free beer. Not allowing Linux virtualization would be going against all Linux stands for. Also, since when is Windows not allowed to be ran in a virtual machine? Microsoft SUPPORTS this for systems, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Virtual_PC

abhilashm86
November 28th, 2008, 07:02 AM
well my question is just like,u install ubuntu or any linux on windows and it can be just deleted from control panel!!!!!!!whats the level of linux and whats d big use of doing linux on windows????

sstusick
November 28th, 2008, 07:06 AM
This thread makes no sense.

p_quarles
November 28th, 2008, 07:07 AM
well my question is just like,u install ubuntu or any linux on windows and it can be just deleted from control panel!!!!!!!whats the level of linux and whats d big use of doing linux on windows????
Virtualization is useful for all sorts of things. One of the major ones is development, though: if you write cross-platform software (which includes web applications), having the ability to easily test in a variety of environments is crucial.

But really there are all sorts of cases where one might want to run a virtual machine. I can't think of any good reason to prohibit this.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 28th, 2008, 07:08 AM
This thread makes no sense.

I think abhilashm86 has discovered Wubi. And eaten too much wasabi, perhaps?

I'm kidding, naturally. (But it rhymes (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6266213&postcount=4) :P)

LookTJ
November 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
No

1. GPL - free

2. development of software

RiceMonster
November 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Why should we prevent people from running Linux however they please? The license permits it.

Geeke
November 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM
maybe you want to test something out in a virtual machine.

Reasons

not near your other machine

you don't want to partition your current machine hard drive

you want to test linux to make sure all your current hardware specs work before you format it.

I am trying to make sense of this thread, so I am just posting on what I think this thread is about.

abhilashm86
November 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
then too the virtualization needs to be much developed like usb detects and giving an example when i ran a shell script and it was a infinite fork()process[called fork bomber],my system went to a state which could'nt recover,so i removed virtualization,well maybe in future we can get some sud stuff,hopefully

CJ Master
November 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Sense. This thread makes none.

...sorry just had to post that. Anyways, I have no idea why we'd prevent people from using Virtual Box on linux...

Grant A.
November 28th, 2008, 07:22 AM
then too the virtualization needs to be much developed like usb detects and giving an example when i ran a shell script and it was a infinite fork()process[called fork bomber],my system went to a state which could'nt recover,so i removed virtualization,well maybe in future we can get some sud stuff,hopefully

So we should be punished for your mistakes? If you want something done, do it yourself. You are obviously a programmer, this is open source software, go nuts.

p_quarles
November 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Fork bombs have absolutely nothing to do with whether an OS is running on a virtual or physical machine.

Thread closed. I don't believe the OP understands exactly what virtualization is, and leaving the thread open just invites counterproductive arguments.