PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I setup a media/file server?

Cyric78
November 28th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Well, I've been trying setup an Ubuntu media/file server for over a month now, and just have not had enough success with it to be happy, so I started looking at MS Home Server, and it sounds like it will be a problem too...

Here is what I want from my media/file server...

- Stream music and movies to my PS3 (main reason for media server)
- File serving for 3 - 4 different users
- Possible torrent downloading

I had a server setup with 8.04 for a while, and it kind of worked, but upgraded to 8.10 server, and things went down hill from there.

I have an extensive music and movie collection, that is growning by the day as I rip more of my collections, so I need to be able to easily add files to the media server, and have it update automatically..

My current server will play mp3s, but with 10 - 15 second lag between tracks. The video stutters badly, and poor format compatability.

I currently have MediaTomb as the media server, but it seems to be more problematic that Fuppes, which I was using on the 8.04 server.

Should I use 8.10, or 8.04? Desktop or server edition?

I'm not concerned about software overhead, since my server is an AMD dual core 4800, 1G of ram currently (can be easily and cheaply upgraded).

I am also worried about formating the 2 500G drives in the system, since my music and movie collections are on them. I am using a 3rd hdd to install to.

I know I can use Windows for the server, but would rather use something free, than go out and spend $200 for another operating system..

I hope I have been clear enough, but, if not, feel free to ask me questions...

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the help!

Cyric78
November 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Bump, to go from 6th page, to first... ;)

Cyric78
November 29th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Nobody has any tips?

sony_gamer
March 1st, 2009, 12:38 AM
for streaming/transcoding files to the PS3, you might want to try PS3 Media Server
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
it works out of the box with very little modification and the list of files it supports grows with every release

sinaen
October 24th, 2010, 08:44 PM
have you tried mediatomb?

found this "howto" here:

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/stream-media-from-ubuntu-to-your-ps3/

Edit:
Sorry I hadn't read your post that thourougly :(

you say mediatomb is lagging?
hmm not fun