PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Changing Applications in Firefox

Izek
November 28th, 2008, 05:51 AM
In Ubuntu, totem the movie player could be selected for playing multimedia files, but in Xubuntu, only the plugin can be selected. I don't want to use the plugin, I want to use the application itself.

keithld
November 28th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Basically as far as I know you are using the "Actual Program" if it is a Plugin in Firefox, it's just running under Firefox in a window, extensions add to the functionality of Firefox tho they are not a direct part of the Firefox code...

In the following statement it does not say anything about Firefox, so I would assume you were just playing a movie from a DVD or CD using Movie Player.

"In Ubuntu, totem the movie player could be selected for playing multimedia files, but in Xubuntu, only the plugin can be selected."

Movie Player works by itself in all (or most) Linux Distro's as far as I know, so there's no reason to use it in Firefox unless you were trying to Listen to or watch something from a website and I think Firefox already has apps to handle those options...

It may be an "Extension" you are looking for and need for Xubuntu which maybe the "Windows Media Player plug-in10 (Compatible; Totem)"

I may be wrong since I'm a N00b but it seems logical to me and Spock would agree... :guitar:

Denestria
November 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM
In Firefox > Edit > Preferences > Applications
if you click on the right side (action) for the file type you are trying to change even if Totem browser plugin is the only listed program right beneath it should say "Use other..." and from there you can pick totem the app.

kerry_s
November 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM
with totem you can right click on the video and send it to totem outside of firefox.

there is also a firefox add on if you want to always use the player outside of firefox or use several different players. search the add ons for mediaplayerconnectivity.