PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issue with Drivers

ZeeM
November 28th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Hi i just installed Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop edition and am having issues with my drivers, my Mobo does not recognize that my Internet cable is plugged in, so i am looking for a way to fix this or the correct driver to install because i could not find it. My Mobo is Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI

thanks

inobe
November 28th, 2008, 05:26 AM
tell us about your your modem' is it a usb modem ?

include the model and make of the device ....

next time please include as much information as possible, otherwise we are left to guess !

:)

ZeeM
November 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM
i have a linksys broadband router the model number rt31p2-na, however i dont think that the issues lies there because when i plug it into my laptop which also runs the same version of Ubuntu i don't have any issues which is a Dell Inspiron E1505 which did not come with Ubuntu originally

inobe
November 28th, 2008, 07:58 AM
does your connection work when you use a live cd ?

ZeeM
November 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM
no

inobe
November 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM
i am not understanding why your having complications !

plug in the ethernet cable then reboot the system..

ZeeM
November 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM
tried that multiple times, i think that when i installed Ubuntu my MoBo stopped recognizing my Ethernet cable. which is why i am looking for a driver for my motherboard, which so far i have not found, cause i am most likely looking in the wrong places. If that is not the issue then i am stumped, and who should i ask for help?

inobe
November 28th, 2008, 08:57 AM
in the bios' is onboard lan disabled ?

ZeeM
November 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM
how do i check for that

inobe
November 28th, 2008, 09:18 AM
upon restarting you should see a gigabyte bios splash screen, start tapping f2, if that is not the key' the splash screen should say which key to press to enter setup.

if onboard lan is enabled' i will assume you need to use ndiswrapper.

ZeeM
November 29th, 2008, 08:20 AM
yeah that did not work there were not issues with that the lan is enabled its just that it does not recognize that it is there

inobe
November 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
we need to get that system online somehow, do you have the wireless card that comes bundled with that board or at least a wireless usb adapter ?

we can try and gather some information, also get the system updated.

another thing that bothers me, those drivers are opensource and are included in the kernel for more than a year now...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.23.html

i am still wondering why this is happening.