PDA

View Full Version : (For Skype) Should I get a one OR two ear headset?

hanzj
November 28th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Hello,
I'd love to hear whether you think a one ear headset or a both-ear headset is better.

I plan on getting a headset for VOIP (skype) calls.

Vote on the poll and give your reasons in a post.

Thanks.

crazyness003
November 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM
One. They're probably cheaper and plus, theres no advantage of using it in stereo, the quality is sitill gonna depend on the weakest part of the connection.

BUT: If you plan on using them for things like gaming...then 2. You will get use outta the stereo and pseudo-surround sound during a game session.

So its up to you. But id get 1.

Bölvağur
November 28th, 2008, 02:55 AM
BUT: If you plan on using them for things like gaming...then 2.

Actually you would need more than just a random 2 ear headset then. You would need dedicated gaming headset with would be many times more expensive than voice communication type headset.

Those are cheap and it doesnt really matter if you get for 1 ear or 2. The one that you trust that doesnt sound bad, but is cheap... that is the winner.

But it might also depend on two other variables I can think of right now.

1. Background noise, can be very annoying and will be less distracting on 2 ear headphones.

2. .. no wait it was only 1 thing I thought of :lolflag: I fail :(

Lostincyberspace
November 28th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I suggest you get a good quality set of head phones, with a good quality mic. 2 separate pieces, they will give you better quality in the end.

Th3Professor
November 28th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I'm currently using KOSS SB/45.

Link with Information:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826263010

Image:

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/26-263-010-01.jpg

Price:

$30.

Basic info and my experience with them:

The frequency range of the speakers meets our hearing and then some. The human ear can hear (or decipher pitch, that is) from 20Hz to 20,000Hz, or 20Hz to 20KHz. The headset offers 18Hz to 20Khz. The extra low end allows for a nice bass response, plus the ear pieces cover the ears entirely ("circumaural"), which offers optimal hearing of lows and highs. The lows are well-defined. The mids are crystal-clear. The highs are not shrill. The default balance and equalization is excellent.

With any headset, you want as close to 0% as you can get with the THD. These have "less than 0.2%".

The volume range is solid in lower decibels and appropriately controlled in higher decibels. There is neither distortion nor "clips". You will only hear that if you are listening to a poor quality recording or using audio codecs with extreme lossy compression via voice chat.

The cord is 8 feet long, which is awesome!

The frequency range of the microphone also meets the range of the voice. The human voice (voiced speech) of an adult male has an approximate range of 85Hz (low bass voice) to 155Hz (high tenor voice), and 165Hz (low alto voice) to 255Hz (soprano voice) for an adult female's voiced speech. The microphone offers 100Hz to 1,600Hz, or 100Hz to 1.6KHz. The 85Hz adult male "bass voice" would only be noticed on the microphone as a slightly "thinner" sound, while all other voices sound full and rich, including an appropriate default equalization allowing for an effective sending of the signal's lows, mids, and highs.

The microphone's control over picking up sound is ideal with an average -56dB sensitivity per 1KHz.

The headset is very comfortable. It fits the head and ears very nice and can be adjusted if tight or loose.

The microphone placement is perfect, allowing for off-axis, which helps in avoiding "clips" and distorted voice.

You can rotate the mic's mount on the headset so it pivots down on the left side or, if you prefer the other side, you can turn it the other way and have the mic on your right side.

As you can tell from the photo above, you can also "fold" the headset into a more compact form, which I admit I don't always use though it has come in handy when I need to pack up and take it somewhere else (like with a laptop).

The advantage to using a headset with two speakers is that you can use the voice chat capabilities while simultaneously listening to music in the background. The EQ, as mentioned above, is excellent, such that neither the background audio nor the incoming voice audio (from others, as during voice chat) interfere. They work together in perfect balance. Though, you can also adjust the volume settings on each in most cases.

All in all, it's the best headset you'll get for the price.

If you spend less than $30, then you will most likely not find something as good as this. If you spend more than $30, then you will only get a "little better" than this (unless you spend hundreds of dollars, which isn't really necessary with a headset).

I encourage spending within this price range on a headset. You will sacrifice too much out of the microphone and speakers if you skimp out on a lower-priced headset.

Hope this helps. :D

Oh... and you get a lifetime warranty with this headset. Headsets tend to receive abuse. The lifetime warranty is free with the purchase.

hanzj
November 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Th3Professor (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=414358),

Cute fugu avatar!

Oh, I didn't say, but I would like the headset to be portable-size, because it's what I will connect to a tiny netbook Eee PC, which will be traveling with me most of the time.

mips
November 29th, 2008, 08:20 PM
If it's only for skype get one ear.

If you also do gaming & music get two.

I can recommend Plantronics headsets as they probaly make the best ones out there, www.plantronics.com

Th3Professor
November 30th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Th3Professor (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=414358),

Cute fugu avatar!

It is, isn't it! :D I'm an OpenBSD fan/user... that particular fugu in my avatar is named Puffy. :)

MysticEdge
November 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Get a decent headset,

You get what you pay for, and if you buy cheap equipment it won't be as useful, and it will likely break down sooner than you'd think.

From personal experience anytime I've gone for cheaper options I've suffered and then ended up spending more later for a better replacement, which is a headache in like, three different ways. I know money might be an issue, but that's just my opinion.

lametike
November 30th, 2008, 11:04 AM
hey may i ask,there is skype for linux?

MysticEdge
November 30th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Yep, on Skype's website they have a linux version. Just go there, go to the download's section, and choose your OS and botta bing, you're all set.

mips
November 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Has been for years, http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/choose/

Th3Professor
November 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
You can also do this:

sudo apt-get install skype

crazyness003
November 30th, 2008, 11:02 PM
you need medibuntu enabled to do that.
Heres a quick way to do that. http://thedaneshproject.com/posts/enable-medibuntu-in-ubuntu-810/
Then run the above command

Linuxratty
December 1st, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yep, on Skype's website they have a linux version. .
Yup. For me,Skype was already installed in Linux. All I had to get was a headset.