PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Linux

SalsaShark
November 28th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Being a Linux newbie, one thing I've noticed is that with every new version released, no one seems to be upset with the new version. This is clearly at odds with Windows. Every new version of Windows comes with a whole bunch of complaints. I'm sure I don't need to give any examples, but ME was a flop, everyone hated XP when it first came out, and then there is of course Vista, which has caused even non-technical users to complain ceaselessly. So, how does Ubuntu manage to make new releases twice a year which always seem to be met with praise? Or are there, in fact, people who don't think the updates are any better than an previous versions?

smartboyathome
November 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I guess you haven't been on the forums much. After each release, we get tons of threads saying "Intrepid Sucks!" or "Intrepid is the worst release to date!".

OutOfReach
November 28th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I guess you haven't been on the forums much. After each release, we get tons of threads saying "Intrepid Sucks!" or "Intrepid is the worst release to date!".

+1,
unfortunately, Ubuntu cannot please everyone.

Bölvağur
November 28th, 2008, 01:21 AM
+1,

true but you do know it is because those same people get broken hardware support with newer kernel... or they did the automatic update instead of fresh install (:lolflag:). Or perhaps because they do not realize that they need to install their drivers again.

lol or the lamest of them all... they didnt like the theme!!! (:mad::lolflag::))

thankfully there seems to be very few people complaining out of the millions that use ubuntu.

if there would some one complain because of almost any other reason my face would turn to this → :confused:

aboud
November 28th, 2008, 01:32 AM
what i can't understand is what are people waiting for to switch to Linux. :-k

SalsaShark
November 28th, 2008, 02:06 AM
You're absolutely right, this is the first time I've went beyond the beginners board. What are the complaints though? One of the things I like about Linux is the fact that I have to actually do some stuff to get it to work the way I want, as opposed to being having to be content with the way it works in Windows.

smartboyathome
November 28th, 2008, 02:30 AM
You're absolutely right, this is the first time I've went beyond the beginners board. What are the complaints though? One of the things I like about Linux is the fact that I have to actually do some stuff to get it to work the way I want, as opposed to being having to be content with the way it works in Windows.

The negative posts in this forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103) should clear things up a bit for you. :)

Tamlynmac
November 28th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Bölvağur Re: Upgrading Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfReach http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6264897#post6264897)
+1,

true but you do know it is because those same people get broken hardware support with newer kernel... or they did the automatic update instead of fresh install (:lolflag:). Or perhaps because they do not realize that they need to install their drivers again.

lol or the lamest of them all... they didnt like the theme!!! (:mad::lolflag::smile:)

thankfully there seems to be very few people complaining out of the millions that use ubuntu.

if there would some one complain because of almost any other reason my face would turn to this → :confused:

Don't forget "it doesn't work like Windows" and my fav - "I thought it just worked with all hardware". OMG

SalsaShark - One thing to point out is that some of these post are created by trolls whose only purpose is to disrupt the forum and bash Ubuntu. Just take them with a grain of salt.

jayson.rowe
November 28th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Some people just aren't happy if they can't complain about something...

bruce89
November 28th, 2008, 03:47 AM

I know, complaining about people complaining about something's much better!

init1
November 28th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Don't forget "it doesn't work like Windows" and my fav - "I thought it just worked with all hardware". OMG

Yeah, it's even worse reading Linux netbook reviews like: "i bought this laptop to play games and nothing works. it sucks. don't buy"

Tamlynmac
November 28th, 2008, 05:26 AM
bruce89 Re: Upgrading Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson.rowe http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6265589#post6265589)

I know, complaining about people complaining about something's much better!

:lolflag: That was just rude. But funny.

init1
Yeah, it's even worse reading Linux netbook reviews like: "i bought this laptop to play games and nothing works. it sucks. don't buy"

I missed that - did someone actually write a review making that statement? Wouldn't surprise me.

Rokurosv
November 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I'm lucky that my PC's hardware is old enough to be suported by Linux :D. Trust me, if you have a PC with some exotic hardware, chances are your Linux trip is not going to be a smooth one. Upgrading can be troublesome too, I tried upgrading a Fedora 9 to 10 and boy was it hard. In the end a fresh install was necesary.