PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux featured in Maximum PC

GreyFox503
December 6th, 2005, 01:14 AM
I just received the latest issue of Maximum PC in the mail. For those who don't know, its a computer enthusiast's magazine that mostly focuses on the latest in high-end hardware.

What's interesting is that it's a fairly Windows-centric magazine, mostly because gaming is important to them so they run Windows.

But this issue, Ubuntu is prominently featured in two separate articles, one where they use it as a free OS when building a budget PC, and one is a howto: install linux on your computer, in which they use Ubuntu as the example.

They give it pretty high praise and point out some of the advantages it has over Windows, and do a pretty good job of telling you how to install it.

This is great free advertising for Ubuntu. Most readers of the magazine are computer enthusiasts already, but probably don't run Linux.

chakra_dude
December 6th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Cool! I read Maximum PC. I love their hardware section.

psoleko
December 6th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Interesting, I haven't picked up Max PC in a while as the articles and reviews seemed to get a bit thin. About then I started reading CPU (Computer Power User), they have a Linux section each month which I find a good read. this is good for Ubuntu absolutley, if only game developers realized what a large segment they are missing by not coding for Linux. I wonder if anyone ever did a study on what percentage of Linux users are gamers versus percentage of Windows users. Might make a few publishers think twice.

CPUFreak91
December 6th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Cool! I read Maximum PC. I love their hardware section.

I never liked Maximum PC. Everything seems to be related to gaming. I want workstation type reviews, like Linux Journal has.

Still it's nice to know they don't make Linux (and Ubuntu) look bad.

darkmatter
December 6th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Heh...Looks like I'm picking up the new issue...

Geekboy
December 6th, 2005, 03:28 AM
I never liked Maximum PC. Everything seems to be related to gaming. I want workstation type reviews, like Linux Journal has.

Still it's nice to know they don't make Linux (and Ubuntu) look bad.I'm not a big fan of it either. I thought it got way too thin. Seemed like it was maybe 50 pages with half being ads. It really rocked when it was Boot. That was a great mag!

psoleko
December 6th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Boot was awesome, great articles and reviews...really miss it.

claydoh
December 6th, 2005, 04:01 AM
MaximumPC had a spinoff mag called MaximumLinux, which was pretty good, it had a distro or two in some issues, its how I first got Mandrake 7.0, which worked for me pretty nice lyback then. It helped me decide to buy mandrake 7.2, which sucked for me unfortunately :(

psoleko
December 6th, 2005, 04:03 AM
MaximumPC had a spinoff mag called MaximumLinux, which was pretty good, it had a distro or two in some issues, its how I first got Mandrake 7.0, which worked for me pretty nice lyback then. It helped me decide to buy mandrake 7.2, which sucked for me unfortunately :(
I had a subscription, it was great when I didn't have broadband as they packed the CDs with FOSS and Distros. I still have some issues lying around somewhere.

az
December 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM
What's interesting is that it's a fairly Windows-centric magazine,

Who here is down with Gnome 10x10

(Ten per cent of the desktop market by 2010)

majikstreet
December 6th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I read a whole bunch of issues of Max PC at a petsitting clients house...

I'll have to get the newest issue next time I visit the grocery.

Computer Power User is a really good magizine.. But my grocery stopped carrying it for a long time, but now it's back. The Linux section can be helpful at times..

basketcase
December 6th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I've been a subscriber for a while now (I look forward to the this month's edition), but I have to say for me, it has become HIGHLY bloated with ads, which has made me think twice about renewing.

The only reason I renewed last time was they had a good tech article on configuring wifi, and thought I could get more tech out of it.

CPUFreak91
December 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I'm not a big fan of it either. I thought it got way too thin. Seemed like it was maybe 50 pages with half being ads. It really rocked when it was Boot. That was a great mag!

Yeah, thats what never got me interested was all the ads.

basketcase
December 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I googled for Computer Power User. Looks like a great magazine.

I signed up for the 3 free issues, and read everything they had online. I could see myself subscribing to it. Looks like exactly what I've been looking for.

GreyFox503
December 6th, 2005, 11:58 PM
To clarify:

This is in the January 2006 issue. It even says "Install linux now" at the bottom of the cover.

I don't mind the ads very much. I get the non-disc version, which is $12/year, 12 issues.