PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intrepid on Inspiron 1420; Yet Another Brightness Post

rpglover64
November 28th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I know there have been a lot of posts on how to fix brightness. They worked for me in Hardy, but I decided to upgrade to Intrepid after installing it on a friend's computer.

The problem: the brightness keys cause my brightness to go from not so bright to very bright (or vice versa, depending on which key) without steps in between, and with some stuttering.

I tried blacklisting video, but it made a mess of things: the increments were too fine, and after I pressed a brightness change key, it would gradually go to that brightness extreme; I also couldn't open menus.

I played around with /etc/acpi/video_brightnessup.sh and /etc/acpi/video_brightnessdown.sh, but it didn't work. I noticed that when I pressed the brightness key (Fn+up or Fn+down) it seemed like 2 or 3 things were trying to adjust my brightness at once. I also noticed that just running the scripts or just running "sudo acpi_fakekey 224" (225 for brightness up) did the right thing.

I deleted the scripts (kept a backup, of course) and restarted my computer. As far as I know, this means that my brightness keys should do nothing. Unfortunately, the brightness keys still "work". This leads me to wonder what else could be receiving their keypresses.

As a final note, until I log in, my brightness keys seem to work fine.

Thanks for any help in advance.

joel_gil
January 12th, 2009, 02:01 AM
same here
im on a inspiron 6400
blacklist video did the trick since 2 realeases ago i dont know hwat has changed since then
hope someone has the solution soon

almikul
January 15th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I had the same problem on Gateway MT6705 for as long as I had Intrepid: the laptop would not suspend/hibernate and the brightness keys would occasionally not work. However, today I did the update acpi-support_0.114-0intrepid1, and it fixed all my ACPI problems! Now, the laptop suspends and hibernates without problem, the brightness keys work, and the network card is functioning properly upon the wake up. I thought this day would never come :)