PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No mouse nor wireless adapter

LudoMo
November 27th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Right, I was planning to dip into this great world of Ubuntu and installed (in Windows with WUBI) 8.10 version earlier this week.
Had issues with CD Rom stations, but because of support form this forum managed to solve. Never managed to get the wireless adapter working (checked a lot !!) ndiswrapper, ndisgtk, you name it.
After reading and tinkering for some days I then decided to get 8.04 and just installed the stable LTS version.
Installation was fine, restarts, etc and next I logged on and just saw the mouse pointer, couldn't move. Also noticed that wireless adapter still had an exclamation mark.
Without a mouse I wouldn't have a clue what to do so restarted and checked the web again. To not much avail....
Can someone help me with this mouse-issue please !?! I can only see the pointer of the mouse (this was all working fine in my 8.10-installation !) I will not give up easily, but you can imagine it's really hard if you just look at the nice Hardy Heron and cannot do anything else.

Second question I have is which adapter (preferably USB) will work with UBUNTU ? I am happy to spend some cash as my current adapter (from AtMel Corp) is an oldy and I cannot find any drivers or solutions to get it working properly in UBUNTU.

Any help and recommendations are very welcome !
Cheers in advance.

cariboo
November 28th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure about your mouse problem, make sure it is plugged all the way in.

For a usb wireless adapter I can recommend the D-Link WUA-1340, you just plug it in and it works, in both Intrepid and Hardy. I'm going to wait until the second Alpha of Jaunty comes out before testing it.

Jim

LudoMo
November 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM
OK, thanks Jim, will see if I can find that one !
The mouse is definitely plugged in OK (it works fine when I shift form XP and just stops when Ubuntu starts).
I will delete the install and try again, hook it up to web with a cable and see if the updates will help.

Thanks for your support !

:KS:KS:KS