PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install Ubuntu... Keeps restarting after selecting Install Ubuntu

MajorD
November 27th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hey folks,

As the title says really!

I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 (x64) and I am trying to install it onto my Samsun Q310 laptop, with no success.

I currently have Windows Vista installed on it (which came with the laptop) I have 2 partitions, one I have Vista on and the other which I have just formatted to Ext3 (My assumption is this is a good file system for most linux distros).

However after booting the CD, selecting the language and then hitting "Install Ubuntu" It flashes a quick bit of text (which I am unable to see) then reboots.

I haven't a clue why, anybody care to shed some light?

Thanks!

Porridge
November 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM
i thought in ubuntu you can just install inside of windows instead of having to make a new partition? how about trying to just install inside windows

thomas228
November 28th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hey folks,

As the title says really!

I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 (x64) and I am trying to install it onto my Samsun Q310 laptop, with no success.

I currently have Windows Vista installed on it (which came with the laptop) I have 2 partitions, one I have Vista on and the other which I have just formatted to Ext3 (My assumption is this is a good file system for most linux distros).

However after booting the CD, selecting the language and then hitting "Install Ubuntu" It flashes a quick bit of text (which I am unable to see) then reboots.

I haven't a clue why, anybody care to shed some light?

Thanks!

Hi
Relative newbie here but from what I've read on this forum it sounds like you may have a bad iso.
Have you run the "check CD" option?
I'm running 8.04 but have learned that the live CD is quite powerful.
Can you run ubuntu without installing?
Don''t know what else to ask but I'm sure you'll get a lot of support from a lot of more knowledgeable posters than me

Good luck and welcome to ubuntu :lolflag:

Tom

MajorD
November 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM
hey,

Well I try to run the live cd and also check he disc for errors but it just keeps restarting I burned it off at 1x and I also have acopy of kubuntu at 1x, both are doing the samething restarting when attempting to install. Boot live or check the disC for errors.

Porridge
November 28th, 2008, 12:59 AM
hey,

Well I try to run the live cd and also check he disc for errors but it just keeps restarting I burned it off at 1x and I also have acopy of kubuntu at 1x, both are doing the samething restarting when attempting to install. Boot live or check the disC for errors.

burning @ 1x doesn't necessarily make the cd better quality since you are working below the normal speed of the cd max is what 50x now. did you verify its contents?

thomas228
November 28th, 2008, 01:58 AM
hey,

Hi again
A few more questions
1 Did you burn a CD-R ,-RW, or DVD-?? CD-R recommended
2 Have you verified your drive for proper operation on windows?
Could be dirty?
3 Did you run a checksum on your iso downloads?

Don't know what else to ask right now
Tom

MajorD
November 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Verified the disc, checksum, CD-R burned multiple times, same old story.

Will just wipe the entire drive.

sadiqdude
November 28th, 2008, 10:43 PM
:):):)hi there well if ubuntu installation is having any proble then go for alternate cd and remmember u have to use a good cd writing software like nero and keep default settings before burning the iso image.......i hope this may solve ur problem.........i'll give u the link :):):)

sadiqdude
November 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
:):):)And you can get the alternate cd here:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/

Jagot
November 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM
There are a few of us trying:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=974336
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=937062

The problem is with apci, and no real solutions as yet.