PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very Strange 8.10 Installation Problem, Would Appreciate Any Advice

Mike_SMD
November 27th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone,
While over the past year I've encountered all sorts of 'regular' old problems and been able to have them resolved this time I'm stumped.

I've tried to install both the 32bit as well as 64 bit versions of Ubuntu 8.10 on an HP Pavilion Laptop. In either event exactly the same thing happens... once the Ubuntu logo and progress bar appear on the screen all productivity halts unless I repeatedly tap keys on the keyboard. The little orange progress bar halts and then each tap produces some new activity and a little more orange, it takes about twenty taps to get the bar to fill completely after which everything runs normally.

I thought that it might just be during installation, but after (in both cases) the installation is complete the very same thing happens at every subsequent boot up.

Which is driving my wife crazy, by the way, as I just built myself a new desktop system on the condition that she could have the laptop for her own exclusive use.

I'm thinking about back-tracking and reinstalling 8.04 instead as it worked well enough in the end, but I'd prefer not to.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here? I'm stumped as to how I'd even get an error report or record of the boot up sequence that I could use to further investigate with.

If anyone has any advice as to where I can start solving, I'd be heartily thankful for the help!

Have a nice day,

Mike.