PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help w/ Install

kjhughes23
November 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I have a HP Pavilion 01110n desktop and when I try to boot a Ubuntu Live CD or a USB it get SQUASHFS ERRORS and I cannot boot Ubunutu. I can boot Puppy Linux off of a USB but my computer will not let me boot Ubuntu. Do I need an alternate CD?

Also I have tried 8.10 and 8.04LTS with the desktop ISO and I always get an SQUASHF ERROR. Any Ideas??

Any help is greatly appreciated

Bucky Ball
November 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=635056

There are a few solutions there, may or may not work. I would personally get the torrent file and download the iso that way as it is checked for errors then, burn another and try again. You could try the alternate, yes, but that might not be the problem either. When you pop the install cd in, have you run the 'Check cd for defects' option?

kjhughes23
November 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I haven't check the cds when I boot but I have checked the md5 hash thing on the iso. I will try that though next time!
Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving

Bucky Ball
November 28th, 2008, 02:43 AM
My pleasure. Sometimes the ISO itself can be dodgy so doesn't matter how many cd's you burn, still get the same result, which is why a torrent is the surefire solution if this is the case for you. Happy thanksgiving also, even though I'm in Australia where we don't celebrate it and not sure what it is about. I presume it involves holiday time, getting together with friends, eating and drinking so that has to be all good! Have a good one. :)

kjhughes23
November 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Thanksgiving is one holiday without self-thought and it is to celebrate our forefathers that have set up this country