PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Laptops and Ubuntu

odograph
November 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I run a mix of win/linux at home and at work. Right now my notebook is a big ugly dell vostro 1500, but it's got xp and decent specs. I can vpn and remote desktop to my xp box at work. I planned on an ubuntu partition but never have. The thing is, I promised to hand-me-down this PC to my nephew at Christmas.

So I'm looking at the Black Friday ads, and seeing all the win vista out there ... and wondering if I should get some good hardware, and really go ubuntu on the notebook.

I wonder if any of you (in the US) have seen killer "laptop for ubuntu" deals out there - and while we're talking how vpn and ... what, free vnc? work for you.

(I might not rush, and just pick up something at dell outlet that still has xp ... don't really want to shop on Black Friday. I would get a kick out of using a $400 laptop though.)

Thx, that's my ramble. Happy Thanksgiving.

Odo

I-75
November 27th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Micro-Center has some $299 laptops on sale for Black Friday. I think the MSI Wind is a XP model.

odograph
November 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Cool, I'll check microcenter out. Maybe I should mention that I have a 7" eee pc and this 15" dell ... I kind of thing the ideal is someplace in the middle ... prices being equal (as they seem to be on sale!) I'd go higher rather than lower.

I think a 12" display might be perfect, but that is like the high point on the price curve. The netbooks and the Black Friday 15"ers are both cheaper.

(Dell is also selling a 15", celeron, 1gb, 160gb vostro A860 for $349 right now. Running ubuntu (as it apparently does in asia?) that might work.)

notwen
November 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Have you scoped out http://www.blackfriday.info/ yet? I've already ordered some of the items I want online and arranged for in-store pickup on Friday. Looking over the Dell Home deals, I did not see any of the N-Series models being advertised, so no go on that. Hope this helps. =]

notwen
November 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
And just to throw it out there. It looks like your buddies over at System76 (http://www.system76.com/) are offering free 4GB ram upgrades through Sunday, Nov. 30th. =]