PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to add prompt to Gnome user menu

flarkit
November 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hi,

I'd like to have a prompt when selecting an option from the menu (logout, suspend, hibernate, restart, etc), to avoid the occasional accidental slip. Can someone perhaps point out either an existing setting to do so, or else where to start if it means changing the code?

Thanks

hictio
November 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I don't understand, what Ubuntu version are you running?
On Intrepid, you can hit 'Esc' or click on "Cancel" on all of the situations you describe, to disable the action, if, for instance, you click on one of those by mistake.
You have a 60 seconds window to cancel the action, except for "Lock screen" which is instant.

flarkit
November 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I don't understand, what Ubuntu version are you running?
On Intrepid, you can hit 'Esc' or click on "Cancel" on all of the situations you describe, to disable the action, if, for instance, you click on one of those by mistake.
You have a 60 seconds window to cancel the action, except for "Lock screen" which is instant.

This is indeed on Intrepid. If I click on "Restart" (or any of those), it starts the shutdown immediately and no amount of pressing Esc stops the action. There is no "Cancel" option either
:confused:

Just to clarify:

- On System->Shutdown, it does offer the 60sec timeout, the Cancel button and I assume the Esc function

- However, at the end of the toolbar where your username is shown, a menu pops up with options to Lock Screen, Logout, Restart, etc etc. Selecting on of these causes the action to start immediately and Esc doesn't do anything. This is perhaps the power-user's route for shutting down, but I'd love to enable a prompt, just for those mouse-button slips.

hictio
November 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
This is indeed on Intrepid. If I click on "Restart" (or any of those), it starts the shutdown immediately and no amount of pressing Esc stops the action. There is no "Cancel" option either
:confused:

Just to clarify:

- On System->Shutdown, it does offer the 60sec timeout, the Cancel button and I assume the Esc function

- However, at the end of the toolbar where your username is shown, a menu pops up with options to Lock Screen, Logout, Restart, etc etc. Selecting on of these causes the action to start immediately and Esc doesn't do anything. This is perhaps the power-user's route for shutting down, but I'd love to enable a prompt, just for those mouse-button slips.

Ohh, I see :)
I don't use the Logout icon on the Panel, it uses screen real state for a thing that I will use only once, I access it thru the "System" menu, sorry.