PDA

View Full Version : Guns N Roses' New Album Chinese Democracy

Bibek
November 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Hey Guys,
Dont know how many of you all listen to GNR but their new album is out. I thought Axl rose sounded different. Have you guys listened to it ?:guitar:

cmay
November 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM
i use to listen to gnr when i was a kid. its like over seventeen years ago. it would be a surprise if axl did not sound different by now. i did not even know gnr still was active.

andrek
November 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I've been listening it for a while.. It's damn awesome. Songs like "There Was A Time", "I.R.S", "Street of Dreams" and "This I Love" totally rock, even though it's not as good as the old GN'R.. Anyway, here's my last.fm profile to get know what I'm listening to at the moment - http://www.last.fm/user/mr-andrek

Bölvağur
November 27th, 2008, 03:21 PM
i use to listen to gnr when i was a kid. [...] i did not even know gnr still was active.

ditto

but Im not very interested in hearing it any more as Im into more challenging music now that require musical background like playing the guitar.

But I hope for your sake that the new gnr sounds as well as the old songs did in my memories.

jimi_hendrix
November 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
is the albume out?

ive been checking itunes for the past month every tuesday (when they update)...havnt seen it yet

and yess he sounds different...hes aged a bit since their last album...

is it any good...i mean after the spagetti incident....

is it out?

GNR owns

<< big fan

chucky chuckaluck
November 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
nm

Bibek
November 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM
is the albume out?

ive been checking itunes for the past month every tuesday (when they update)...havnt seen it yet

and yess he sounds different...hes aged a bit since their last album...

is it any good...i mean after the spagetti incident....

is it out?

GNR owns

<< big fan

Yup, its out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Democracy

jimi_hendrix
November 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
*cries*

my ipod is broken....good thing birthday is on saturday

speedwell68
November 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
i use to listen to gnr when i was a kid. its like over seventeen years ago. it would be a surprise if axl did not sound different by now. i did not even know gnr still was active.

There is still a band called Guns n' Roses, but it ain't Guns 'n Roses. It is Axl Rose and a backing band, Duff Mckagan, Izzy Stradlin and Slash left a long time ago.

jimi_hendrix
November 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
There is still a band called Guns n' Roses, but it ain't Guns 'n Roses. It is Axl Rose and a backing band, Duff Mckagan, Izzy Stradlin and Slash left a long time ago.

they all formed Velvet Revolver...they have a singer i dont like and some new drummer but theyre good

notwen
November 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I enjoy 'Better' of all the tracks. Not quite the same, not as much whistling as I was hoping for. =p Not quite what I was expecting, but a pretty good lp over all imo.

I actually loaded up my ipod w/ Appetite for Destruction, UYI I & II, Spaghetti Incident and Chinese Democracy and have been jamming to GNR in my truck throughout the whole week.

I-75
November 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM
If you live in the U.S. you can go to Free Napster and listen to it legally.

http://free.napster.com/view/album/index.html?id=13004813

My opinion, on the track "Chinese Democracy" it sucks..I don't care for the rest of it either ..its over rated, over produced and is a far cry from their earlier work. They put out some pretty good rocking tunes over the years that ended up to be classics...this ain't one of them.

kk0sse54
November 27th, 2008, 06:18 PM
My opinion, on the track "Chinese Democracy" it sucks..I don't care for the rest of it either ..its over rated, over produced and is a far cry from their earlier work. They put out some pretty good rocking tunes over the years that ended up to be classics...this ain't one of them.

+1 in short I thought this album was just horrible being a far cry from their older works.

cormic
November 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I have been listening to it for the last few days. It is ok but I think that once it comes off my Zen then it will not go back on.

It sounds very over produced and the guitar work is poor compared to Slash and Izzy. There are some good songs but no serious standouts.

Looks like the band of my youth is really gone :)

PriceChild
November 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Sounds like The Killers are going to beat them in the british album charts...

or are we dancer...

jimi_hendrix
November 27th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I enjoy 'Better' of all the tracks. Not quite the same, not as much whistling as I was hoping for. =p Not quite what I was expecting, but a pretty good lp over all imo.

I actually loaded up my ipod w/ Appetite for Destruction, UYI I & II, Spaghetti Incident and Chinese Democracy and have been jamming to GNR in my truck throughout the whole week.

can you drive me...from NJ to China?

the only song ive heard is Shacklers revenge...i thought it was good but not amazing

mips
November 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Sounds like The Killers are going to beat them in the british album charts...

or are we dancer...

I must say I quite enjoy The Killers.

andrek
November 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
they all formed Velvet Revolver...they have a singer i dont like and some new drummer but theyre good

Actually, Velvet Revolver do not have a singer now ( Scott Weiland has left ) and the drummer is.. Matt Sorum, the guy who replaced Steven Adler in the original Guns N' Roses line-up :)

notwen
November 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Actually, Velvet Revolver do not have a singer now ( Scott Weiland has left ) and the drummer is.. Matt Sorum, the guy who replaced Steven Adler in the original Guns N' Roses line-up :)

Too bad Scott is 50/50 on his appearances on STP's reunion tour. I've heard/read some pretty sad articles on him stumbling over lyrics and equipment on stage at multiple venues. STP is still my fav 90s band by far. =]

Th3Professor
November 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Did anybody else hear about the deal w/ GNR's new album and Dr. Pepper?

:D

djsroknrol
November 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Yeah...I tried for 2 hours to get my coupon for a free 20oz DP but the server(s) went down from overload...I read that Axl wants to sue them for misrepresentation...what a laugh...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20081127/en_top_eo/70871

jimi_hendrix
November 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM
OMG NOOOOO I FORGOT THAT lol

doyouhas
November 27th, 2008, 09:21 PM
They are becoming washed up. This should be the last album they release before they start ruining their former glory. Yuck. If they do keep making albums, I'm not listening anymore.

darrenn
November 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Having Axel Rose and none of the original members does not make it gnr.

notwen
November 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM

Registered for my free Dr. Pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too !?!?

toupeiro
November 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Having Axel Rose and none of the original members does not make it gnr.

I knew someone was gonna go there....

No disrespect intended, but honestly who cares who makes the GNR Line up, they are still GNR.. That pretty much goes for any band. Now, if Axl came back and decided to do polka with a new lineup calling themselves Guns N Roses, thats a completely different story, but thats not what he did...

Is metallica any less metallica because Robert Trujillo is on Bass or because Jason Newstead, Dave Mustaine, Ron McGovney, or Cliff Burton are no longer with the band?? have you HEARD anything off the album? Its undeniably GNR! Is this really any different than what bands have done since the conception of .. band names?

And for the record, Besides Izzy, Axl was the only founding member still a part of GNR during their peak. Slash, Duff, Steven Adler, Dizzy Reed, Sorum, Clarke ... they were all second, even third generation members. If the headman of a band stays, I.M.O they have the right to call themselves the same name. And in rare cases, such as AC/DC, they still maintain that right if they are just that good at still being who they are. The fans ultimately make that call, not the critics. Not everyone can pull off a lineup change, and the fans will let you know it. Everything I've heard of the new album is definitely GNR grade music. If you don't like that grade, thats fine, but if you do, I dont think you will be disappointed.

The Original GNR linup was:

Axl Rose
Tracii Guns
Izzy Stradlin
Ole Beich
Rob Gardner

Truth is, this new album is very diverse, its very complex, and its still very much GNR. I really wish people would not judge this album before they hear it.

Th3Professor
November 27th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I knew someone was gonna go there....

No disrespect intended, but honestly who cares who makes the GNR Line up, they are still GNR.. That pretty much goes for any band. Now, if Axl came back and decided to do polka with a new lineup calling themselves Guns N Roses, thats a completely different story, but thats not what he did...

Is metallica any less metallica because Robert Trujillo is on Bass or because Jason Newstead, Dave Mustaine, Ron McGovney, or Cliff Burton are no longer with the band?? have you HEARD anything off the album? Its undeniably GNR! Is this really any different than what bands have done since the conception of .. band names?

And for the record, Besides Izzy, Axl was the only founding member still a part of GNR during their peak. Slash, Duff, Steven Adler, Dizzy Reed, Sorum, Clarke ... they were all second, even third generation members. If the headman of a band stays, I.M.O they have the right to call themselves the same name. And in rare cases, such as AC/DC, they still maintain that right if they are just that good at still being who they are. The fans ultimately make that call, not the critics. Not everyone can pull off a lineup change, and the fans will let you know it. Everything I've heard of the new album is definitely GNR grade music. If you don't like that grade, thats fine, but if you do, I dont think you will be disappointed.

Axl Rose
Tracii Guns
Izzy Stradlin
Ole Beich
Rob Gardner

Truth is, this new album is very diverse, its very complex, and its still very much GNR. I really wish people would not judge this album before they hear it.

lol

There are 2 perspectives I share on the whole "is it really 'them'" debate:
1. I don't give a !@%& as long as the music is good.
2. I do give a @#%& because I prefer more than one "original" member.

Those are really flip sides to a coin... and I flip the coin depending on which option weighs in best in the end.

And it's all opinion... your opinion, my opinion, anyone's opinion.

:p

The most important thing is:
Rock on.
:guitar:
...and if ya can't or don't want to along with one album, then rock on to another one.

:lolflag:

jimi_hendrix
November 27th, 2008, 11:45 PM
They are becoming washed up. This should be the last album they release before they start ruining their former glory. Yuck. If they do keep making albums, I'm not listening anymore.

they will be dead before the next one comes out...dont worry

jimi_hendrix
November 27th, 2008, 11:47 PM
and whats Slash's real name?

aaaantoine
November 28th, 2008, 03:18 AM

Axl Rose
Tracii Guns
Izzy Stradlin
Ole Beich
Rob Gardner

Hence, the name: "Guns N' Roses"

When we heard the single "Chinese Democracy"* for the first time, my friend asked me, "should they really still be called Guns N' Roses since the other half of their namesake left?"

I didn't even know about Tracii at the time, and there's a good reason for that: he left the band before they even played any gigs.

Bonus: According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracii_Guns), Tracii's birth name is Tracy Ulrich.

* Another bonus: Before playing the song, the DJ commented that a number of callers already pointed out that the intro to the song sounds like "Rock You Like a Hurricane". And when they put on the song, my friend and I were in full agreement.

And finally, Slash's real name is Saul Hudson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_(musician))

Th3Professor
November 28th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Hence, the name: "Guns N' Roses"

When we heard the single "Chinese Democracy"* for the first time, my friend asked me, "should they really still be called Guns N' Roses since the other half of their namesake left?"

I didn't even know about Tracii at the time, and there's a good reason for that: he left the band before they even played any gigs.

Bonus: According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracii_Guns), Tracii's birth name is Tracy Ulrich.

* Another bonus: Before playing the song, the DJ commented that a number of callers already pointed out that the intro to the song sounds like "Rock You Like a Hurricane". And when they put on the song, my friend and I were in full agreement.

And finally, Slash's real name is Saul Hudson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_%28musician%29)

Original name should've been "Ulrichs and Roses".
...main name shoulda been "Slashing Roses".
...better yet, "Hudsons & Roses".

This new GNR album sounds like it's revisiting pieces of their old albums (as well as the sounds of other groups/songs, like the Hurricane song intro). This reminds me of the recent Metallica album, which is basically an attempt at rehashing their previous stuff.

Both albums (the new Metallica and new GNR) aren't "bad" in my opinion, though they certainly aren't their best. I'll always prefer the oldest albums - from both of those groups - over the newer ones.

There's somethin' to say about youth and rock. Old farts can still rock the house, though not without penalty. LOL

Bibek
November 28th, 2008, 05:47 AM
and whats Slash's real name?

Saul Hudson

toupeiro
November 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Original name should've been "Ulrichs and Roses".
...main name shoulda been "Slashing Roses".
...better yet, "Hudsons & Roses".

This new GNR album sounds like it's revisiting pieces of their old albums (as well as the sounds of other groups/songs, like the Hurricane song intro). This reminds me of the recent Metallica album, which is basically an attempt at rehashing their previous stuff.

Both albums (the new Metallica and new GNR) aren't "bad" in my opinion, though they certainly aren't their best. I'll always prefer the oldest albums - from both of those groups - over the newer ones.

There's somethin' to say about youth and rock. Old farts can still rock the house, though not without penalty. LOL

True that.

I've seen a lot of bands in concert (much to the detriment of my hearing), but you want to know one band that just absolutely rocked and stands out in my mind over any other concert I've ever seen? Scorpions! More than Dream Theater, More than Rob Zombie, Audioslave, Ozzy, Queensryche, Seether.. They absolutely rocked in concert. Rob Zombie was more a stage performance than a Rock concert. So I can definitely testify to that comment. Old Farts can rock the house!

Then I saw Dokken once.. And yeah.. those guys were really, truly washed up. Their sound was completely off... That said, Chinese Democracy is far from being off center.. You're right that it is a matter of opinion, and I tend to be pretty critical towards bands trying to reinvent themselves. I didn't really have much of a place for the Van Halen reunion or The Police reunion. Bon Jovi was just embarassing, and Motley Crue couldn't pull it off either.. GNR did it. It looks, feels, and sounds like GNR, and it doesn't feel outdated or out of touch with rock music of today.

Th3Professor
November 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM
True that.

I've seen a lot of bands in concert (much to the detriment of my hearing), but you want to know one band that just absolutely rocked and stands out in my mind over any other concert I've ever seen? Scorpions! More than Dream Theater, More than Rob Zombie, Audioslave, Ozzy, Queensryche, Seether.. They absolutely rocked in concert. Rob Zombie was more a stage performance than a Rock concert. So I can definitely testify to that comment. Old Farts can rock the house!

Then I saw Dokken once.. And yeah.. those guys were really, truly washed up. Their sound was completely off... That said, Chinese Democracy is far from being off center.. You're right that it is a matter of opinion, and I tend to be pretty critical towards bands trying to reinvent themselves. I didn't really have much of a place for the Van Halen reunion or The Police reunion. Bon Jovi was just embarassing, and Motley Crue couldn't pull it off either.. GNR did it. It looks, feels, and sounds like GNR, and it doesn't feel outdated or out of touch with rock music of today.

You make some very valid points. I suppose it's a "hit and miss" with old farts. :D

I saw Pink Floyd in '88 and, although they formed in '65, needless to say that 23 years later they were very much at the top of their game (even if it excluded Sid and Roger). Though I believe Pink Floyd is one of those very special exceptions to the genre of popular music in general. Plus, they don't even compare to the types of bands that we're discussing in this thread. <wink> Plus, their music (even "P*U*L*S*E" in '95 (30 years since formation)) is capable of overcoming the test of time. There's no comparison. :)

Anyway, I saw GNR and Metallica in the early 90s and was very impressed, though that was also at their "peak" in their careers, or so I believe (my opinion). I was upset to see Newsted leave Metallica and Slash leave GNR... though both bands have still managed to pull off some pretty decent stuff since then.

By the way, off topic, I saw the mention of OpenSolaris in your signature. Do you think you could take a look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6269589#post6269589

I'd like to install Solaris 10 with a variety of other things in the set-up.

Anyway, all of those other groups you mentiond in your previous message... that rocks that you had the chance to see all of them. I'm a fan of George Lynch (Dokken), as well as all of the others. To see Scorpions live would be freaking awesome! It would be cool to see the Police and Van Halen live, though at their primes/peaks rather than at an aftertaste reunion. ;)