PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Where do all the great members keep going?

Lostincyberspace
November 27th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Seriously, first it was RAV TUX, Now LaRoza? What is Up?

These amazing members have been banned, this has me feeling scared that I might be next! :(

I have been busy that last while, new job, so I have not spent, much time here recently.

I know there was some differences of opinion, on Rav's leaving.

But I see nothing on Laroza, his posts just stop two weeks ago, and he has Burnt Beans. Did he just have his account closed since he was getting so many pm's still, or some thing.

Please put my quaking heart at rest.

sisco311
November 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6155490&postcount=1310

LookTJ
November 27th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I was wondering where LaRoza went too. I'll look in forum feedback to see if there's anything.

handy
November 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Here is the story from LaRoza:

http://laroza77.blogspot.com/2008/11/ubuntuforumsorg-banning.html

eternalnewbee
November 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM
These amazing members have been banned, this has me feeling scared that I might be next!
You are implying that you are amazing:lol:

Lostincyberspace
November 27th, 2008, 08:08 AM
You are implying that you are amazing:lol:
Of course.

About 30 seconds after getting this posted, I found more info this.

I don't know the whole story, but I hope you all either take this lesson to heart. (What ever the real lesson here is. not going to most my opinion in regards to my respecting Laroza wishes that this stop.)

As a note the admins you could place a big link to http://laroza77.blogspot.com/2008/11/ubuntuforumsorg-banning.html
in his sig and that will help deter more people in the future from being stupid like me.

(I was being sarcastic at the beginning if no could figure it out.)

eternalnewbee
November 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM
(I was being sarcastic at the beginning if no could figure it out.)
I didn't sense any sarcasm from your post.
Btw, I've read what Laroza said about this, too.

steeleyuk
November 27th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Ok, next missing member. Anyone seen 23meg? I usually enjoyed reading his posts but not seen him for a couple of months.

-grubby
November 27th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Ok, next missing member. Anyone seen 23meg? I usually enjoyed reading his posts but not seen him for a couple of months.

http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=11472

Last activity: October 2nd, 2008

He hasn't been here for almost 3 months

Tamlynmac
November 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
handy Re: Where do all the great members keep going?
Here is the story from LaRoza:

http://laroza77.blogspot.com/2008/11...g-banning.html (http://laroza77.blogspot.com/2008/11/ubuntuforumsorg-banning.html)

I don't wish to get involved, but the actions taken seem excessive. A warning, IMHO would have been sufficient. It was a foolish thing to do (he admits that) but no harm resulted. Seems we lost a good technical resource and insightful individual. I have read a number of his posts and thought they were humorous and intelligent.

This is really sad. Wish I hadn't read it.:(

handy
November 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I don't wish to get involved, but the actions taken seem excessive. A warning, IMHO would have been sufficient. It was a foolish thing to do (he admits that) but no harm resulted. Seems we lost a good technical resource and insightful individual. I have read a number of his posts and thought they were humorous and intelligent.

This is really sad. Wish I hadn't read it.:(

LaRoza had recently voluntarily retired from being a Mod', & was just going to have fun in the forums.

I-75
November 27th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for providing the link for the reasons of what happened with LaRoza.

eternalnewbee
November 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
LaRoza had recently voluntarily retired from being a Mod', & was just going to have fun in the forums.
That's correct.
And shortly afterwards he got banned (I feel sad about this, too)

SupaSonic
November 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM
After having read what actually happened it seems to me that if anybody is to be punished here, it's the mod who is careless enough to give PCs with personal info. Talk about overreacting.

After all LaRoza's contributions a straight ban - no warnings, no nothing? Sure the rules are the rules, but I think a little flexibility would be in order.

Lostincyberspace
November 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I didn't sense any sarcasm from your post.
Btw, I've read what Laroza said about this, too.
Ha ha ha.

Isn't sarcasm the greatest form of flattery.

eternalnewbee
November 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Isn't sarcasm the greatest form of flattery.
You are so bad;)

gn2
November 27th, 2008, 09:22 AM
LaRoza had recently voluntarily retired from being a Mod'

In the post where it was announced (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6085356&postcount=1) it wasn't explicitly stated whether it was voluntary or otherwise.

toupeiro
November 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I've had my issues in the past with the way some things were dealt with by the mods here, but like LaRoza said, its their site, which they extend to a community of people. I liked both Rav Tux and LaRoza, and their funny and very often insightful posts will be missed here. I don't really forum hop anymore. I have generally one forum I contribute to for music, for cars, this one for linux even though its not the distro I use on the job but its the one I am most passionate about techniccally, and one for social networking amongst personal friends. I've seen good people come in go on all of these sites over time. All that into context. Ubuntuforums is a good site. No matter how much I differ with the mods opinions at times, I continue to come back because I like the community here, so I play by the rules, and bend them where I feel its necessary and try not to break them. I don't like it here because of one or two really popular people, but because of everyone that makes up this community. That includes the mods. Its not easy to moderate a forum base this diverse...

While I may seem overly critical at times, I can't say I've ever had the responsibility of a community like this before. If this were a network I was charged to support, you can bet I'd probably be just as strict with the rules.

I guess what I am saying is, it takes a lot more than a few good posters to make a forum great. I don't think LaRoza or Rav Tux would argue that point with me at all... If LaRoza felt a bit more besmirched about this, which I believe he/she has the right to be, perhaps more consideration could have been taken into account considering the circumstances. But, the rules were followed, and there was no protest. That still makes this a great forum, and LaRoza a great poster. Its just unfortunate that the combination of the two are now dissolved...

handy
November 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
In the post where it was announced (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6085356&postcount=1) it wasn't explicitly stated whether it was voluntary or otherwise.

It was, I read posts by LaRoza stating that it was at the time she did it.

eternalnewbee
November 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM
While I may seem overly critical at times, I can't say I've ever had the responsibility of a community like this before. If this were a network I was charged to support, you can bet I'd probably be just as strict with the rules.

I guess what I am saying is, it takes a lot more than a few good posters to make a forum great. I don't think LaRoza or Rav Tux would argue that point with me at all...
Ccouldn't have said it better myself.

Tamlynmac
November 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
SupaSonic Re: [SOLVED] Where do all the great members keep going?
After having read what actually happened it seems to me that if anybody is to be punished here, it's the mod who is careless enough to give PCs with personal info. Talk about overreacting.

After all LaRoza's contributions a straight ban - no warnings, no nothing? Sure the rules are the rules, but I think a little flexibility would be in order.

I agree. Rules should be guidelines, not etched in stone. Each case should be evaluated on it's merits and the merits of the individual's involved. I wonder if the mod that was dumb enough to leave personal data on his PC was banned?

This entire incident is extremely sad.