PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Where/When is the more solid Intrepid release?

snakyjake
November 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I've read on the forum that the first release can be buggy, hence bleeding technology. For someone not eager to bleed technology, I want to wait until a new release and most of the bugs fixed.

I've been expecting Intrepid to release 8.10.1 to fix some bugs that have been found since it's initial 8.10 release. Historically, I haven't noticed subsequent version download of 8.04.

Right now I have major problems with Kubuntu 8.10, and waiting for a new release to fix the problem I have. But I can't tell if there's been any changes Intrepid because I don't see incremental versioning, and don't see build numbers.

Microsoft usually releases hotfixes, and later a complete service pack. How does Ubuntu do this? Do I download the main build (8.10) and then run the apt-update? Do I need to wait for the next major release in 6+ months? Or will Ubuntu continue to provide updated CD/DVD downloads?

cariboo
November 27th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Updates are released almost daily for Intrepid, they are always bug fixes, If you want a description and version number, In the update manager click Description of Update, you will see the change log and a description of the particular update.

Jim

snakyjake
November 27th, 2008, 08:05 AM
So the understanding is that Ubuntu does not release new ISO downloads? All updates, bug fixes, patches are provided as downloads from the package manager?

cariboo
November 27th, 2008, 08:19 AM
There are point updates, but only for LTS release. With a six month release cycle, there really is no need to update iso's.

Jim