PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Screaming Monkey
December 5th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Hello everyone. I was recommended to do this by the greeting I get when I log in. This is my first post and just so ya'll know, I am a brand spankin' new Ubuntu user, not to mention brand new to the whole Linux thing.

I've been using Windows for eons now and just recently viewed the specs for its Vista OS which is outrageous. A co-worker of mine told me about Ubuntu and I did some research and man, let's just say I was impressed. I am using it predominantly at home right now, testing it out and configuring it to my tastes (which is one of the absolutely beautiful things about Linux in general). I still have Windows on it, but only till I eventually port everything that I think I need over to Ubuntu.

My fellow co-worker and I are going to be trying to get our company up and running on Ubuntu as soon as possible. We are a small, charitable organization with people on staff who aren't really, shall we say computer savvy?! at all. At least 2 of our computers are almost always down due to viruses of one kind or another from either themselves or one of our community clicking on the wrong dang link. That combined with the outrageous specs on the new Windows OS is making us look into Ubuntu very quickly. It's expensive to keep upgrading ones computer every single time there's a new OS out and with Ubuntu requiring as little as it does of a system it just seems like a logical choice.

There's a little bit about me and why I am here. Also, I've been browsing the forums like crazy to help me with some of the little problems I've had with Flash and Quicktime and a few other small tweaking details and I have to thank *everyone* who has contributed to those forums and *everyone* who has contributed to Ubuntu and Linux. It is a blessing.

---------------------------------------------
"A fallacy does not cease to be a fallacy just because it becomes a fashion."
G.K. Chesterton

Danielle
December 6th, 2005, 12:19 AM
hi, Screaming Monkey i'm new to Linux too. i really like it so far. :D

atoponce
December 6th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Welcome! You'll find that we are a good bunch to hang around. That will be great when you switch the workstations over to Ubuntu. Let us know how it goes if you do it. I would espically be interested as we use XP on all of our workstations at work.

Alexdrake
December 6th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Hi there. Im new to the forums too. Been using linux for around 4 years now. Switched to Ubuntu recently and here im staying :smile:

Hello to everyone here as well.