PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Installation Stalls with black screen and cursor

Mark0114
November 27th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu on my PC. It has an old version of Windows and I'd like to completely replace with Ubuntu.

I downloaded the ISO file and burned to a CD. The Ubuntu installation screen comes up and runs through its initial installation. The screen goes blank and the Ubuntu cursor (X) is the only thing on the screen. I can move the cursor with my mouse.
I cannot get any further in the installation.
The PC only has a CD ROM and no DVD. My other PC (which is newer) successfully installed Ubuntu using the same ISO file on DVD.

I also get this error before the installation tries to initialize:
ACPI: BIOS age (1999) fails cutoff (2000), acpi=force.......

Information on the older PC:
Processor Type: Pentium III, 500MHz
256MB Memory

Not sure what to do here.

cariboo
November 27th, 2008, 07:15 AM
In addition to the apic option, you may want to try starting in safe graphics mode. To do this from the menu press F4 and select safe graphics mode.

JIm

Mark0114
November 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM
OK, I just tried the Safe Graphics mode and got the same thing. The before the black screen with Ubuntu cursor came up, the screen had a bunch of horizontal lines almost as if it was trying to initialize but failed.

Also - A saw on another thread to try ctl + alt + Backspace.
When I do this, it seems to be checking some of the system settings. I get a few errors such as:
"ImportError: /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: cannot read file data: Input/Ouptut error"

"[239.937869] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 255993"

/usr/bin/system-tools-backends: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libprolkit-dbus.so.2: cannot read file data: Input/output error"

ouch!!!