PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] backtrack to 8.04

oldsoundguy
November 27th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I have 8.10 on three machines and it works really well EXCEPT for video management. For some reason the folks that developed the program gutted all of the video controls and now all you get is basic vanilla. Screens work, but a battle to get the proper resolutions, screens are not recognized as what they are, no rotational options and so on and so on and so on. Intrepid has been out officially for a month now and no progress has been made at either Ubutntu or the seriously understaffed and overworked folks at Envy.

It boils down to the fact that they pulled "screens and graphics" from the 8.10 build. That program WORKED and they substituted a program that supposedly was to be automatic that is NOT auto!

Because of this, I would LOVE to be able to install 8.04 instead, (I want my graphics BACK .. had them in Gutsy!) as the graphics WORK on that one. Can I do this without destroying everything I have installed that is working now?

cariboo
November 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Unfortunately you can not downgrade from Interpid to Hardy, you have to do a clean install. Your graphics problems will be solved eventually, but we have to depend on Nvidia and ATI to fix the closed source drivers.

The only thing Ubuntu does is package the driver so that you and I can install them. You always have the option of trying the drivers created by the graphics chipset manufacturers. You can get the drivers from thier respective web sites.

Personally I haven't had any video driver problems since Gutsy. I even replaced my video card last week and it worked out of the box, and monitors are detected correctly out of the box.

Jim

oldsoundguy
November 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
my issue is the fact that the drivers are there but NOT COMPLETE. I got all of the monitors functioning .. just not functioning COMPLETLY. ROTATION, which was available in Gutsy is NOT available in Intrepid. Monitor recognition as I knew it (where it would give you the make and model and would know what driver it needed) is missing completely. lshw does not show anything video! The lack of support for some of the eye candy programs. Guess I will have to live with it, but time for the code writers to quit dinking with some non critical programs and get on it!