View Full Version : [ubuntu] 26 gig /dev/sda6 umount not working

November 27th, 2008, 01:29 AM
i have intrepid, been ok, little buggy, and i noticed my drive was full the other day... its also mythbuntu running as regular desktop

then upon further investigation i noticed that a partition is mounted @ /var/lib that is from /dev/sda6 of 26 gb of xfs.

now during my setup i didnt partiotion this in, not do i want it..
gparted or cl wont let me unmount to add add it to the regular drive..

output of sudo umount /dev/sda6 is

/var/lib: device is busy.
(In some cases useful info about processes that use
the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
i tried then lsof and fuser, but dont understand what is coming out of there.....

is there any way to force a umount? or has anyoen heard of this before?....there is only 1mb on the partition, and i know its nothin....it just seems wierd that i never put it there, and now its threre, making the rest of my comp slow because the drive is near maxed out.....

November 27th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I'll bet that tons of things are using /var/lib/. You'll probably have to reboot.

Here is what I'd do. Edit /etc/fstab so that the /var/lib/ filesystem won't mount any more (just put a '#' at the beginning of that line). Then shutdown and reboot with a Live CD. In the live cd, mount the root filesystem and the /var/lib/ fs, and copy everything in the /var/lib fs to the root fs. Use -a for this:

cp -a /media/varlib/ /media/rfs/var/lib
Then you should be able to reboot and the /var/lib fs will be unused (make sure of this by running "mount"), and you can do whatever you want with that partition.

November 27th, 2008, 12:47 PM
sweet.....that worked.....

the only thing is i was then hoping to add the dead space to sda1......but cant if its up and going...but im sure that if i booted a live cd again, then mounted and install gparted that i could add them because sda1 woulnd be active...

thanks for the help...

also now...since that sda6 is deleted and now reformatted into a new partiion at /media/downoads, i guess then fstab would be cleaned up of the other stuff? or just leave it if its all working? ha...

thanks again...