PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu for wife's 1st distro

timzak
November 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
My wife is currently using Win2k. Eventually, it will become so outdated as to lose functionality. When that time comes, I plan to switch her over to a Linux-based distro. I'd say she's pretty savvy with a computer, though it's not something she spends a lot of time on except for Picasa, Facebook, OpenOffice and Hallmark Greetings (MS Publisher-like program). There are Linux versions for all her apps except for the Hallmark program.

At any rate, I'm wondering what would be closer to Win2k in terms of interface--Kubuntu or Ubuntu? At the same time, I have zero experience with the KDE DE, and since I will be maintaining the system, using Kubuntu might be a bit of a learning curve for both of us.

What would be your advice? Switch her to Ubuntu (I'm very familiar with the Gnome desktop); or switch her to Kubuntu? I guess I could just keep her on Win2k until security updates stop, as well.

I'd likely stick to 8.04 LTS no matter which DE I choose.

Any comments appreciated.

Sand & Mercury
November 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Ubuntu is much easier to set up to be like Windows, and it's much simpler to use too.

SunnyRabbiera
November 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
well KDE is more close to windows in terms of interface, at least KDE3 (KDE4 seems to be combo of vista and OSX)
But I dont think gnome would scare her off, its a simple interface and does its job well.
So my choice is standard ubuntu, though if you wish i suggest installing kde3 though dont load the kubuntu packages.

Ub1476
November 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
It doesn't really matter much. Both Gnome and KDE 3.5 are stable and good DEs and both can run the same apps. If I were to choose however, it would be Ubuntu. Simply because you're more familiar with it and it's the "most official" Ubuntu.

SunnyRabbiera
November 26th, 2008, 06:59 PM
It doesn't really matter much. Both Gnome and KDE 3.5 are stable and good DEs and both can run the same apps. If I were to choose however, it would be Ubuntu. Simply because you're more familiar with it and it's the "most official" Ubuntu.

yes but if you install kubuntu 8.04 it has kde4 instead of KDE3, and for me that is a big setback.
if KDE is needed it can be installed via the repositories.

Therion
November 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Maybe Ultimate Edition would be a good option for you since it comes with Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment and (I think) XFCE installed. Using UE, you would be able to switch from a Gnome desktop to a KDE desktop in heartbeat. Maybe even setup one DE for yourself and another for the wife.

UE 2.0 is Intrepid-based, while versions 1.8 and 1.9 are Hardy-based, in case you have a preference.

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition/

timzak
November 27th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the replies...really appreciate it. I think I'll stick with Ubuntu for her...but I'll hold out with Win2k first as long as I can. I think security updates for it will stop early next year. I'll see if I can talk her into an early switch before the new year.

Paqman
November 27th, 2008, 04:11 AM
If you moved the top Gnome panel to the bottom and ditched the bottom one (which is about 10 seconds work), i'd say they're both equally similar to Windows.

I-75
November 27th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Why not do a dual boot with Kubuntu and Ubuntu ?

ibutho
November 27th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I'd let her choose which distro or desktop environment she wants to use. My wife has been using Linux for about 2 years now and initially I had installed Ubuntu for her, but it later transpired that she was not particularly keen on Ubuntu and GNOME even though they were what she was using for an opensource awareness course. She found KDE 3 to be more familiar to her and eventually I installed openSUSE with KDE 3 (which I had already been using on my own desktop) and that seems to have gone well.

Paqman
November 27th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Why not do a dual boot with Kubuntu and Ubuntu ?

You don't really need to dual-boot. You can just install ubuntu-desktop or kubuntu-desktop and pick one or the other at login.

Dragonbite
November 29th, 2008, 05:44 PM
My wife is NOT very computer savvy and I've noticed that she takes to Gnome (Ubuntu) faster than she does KDE.

I think part of this is that Gnome is noticeably different yet not overly complicated compared to Windows. You don't get caught into thinking (consciously or subconsciously) the maim menu should look like it does in Windows because with Gnome you're running with the 3 menus along the top.

Also, when somebody looks at Ubuntu, the mistaken idea that it is Windows is less than with something of similar color scheme.

(hey, my wife is an artist and very visual so this is not a strange stretch)

Something that helped me migrate my wife to Linux is changing her over to cross-platform applications such as Thunderbird for email and Firefox for browsing. This way she was already familiar with them. You can also try using OpenOffice and Gimp in Windows so they are present in Linux as well.

But I find by using Gnome people are more inclined to be flexible and willing to "learn" than when they expect it to be just like or similar to Windows.

timzak
December 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM
Thanks, guys. Yeah, she's already using most open source equivalents for Windows, so the transition shouldn't be too tough. About the only software I'm not sure there's an equivalent of for her is her Hallmark Greetings software. It's like a Print Shop/Publisher program with pre-formatted templates. If anyone knows of any Linux equivalent that is newbie friendly, I'd appreciate it.