PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen resolution problem

theuserbl
November 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I have a NVidea Graphic card.
The Graphic Card and the Monitor can show much higher resolutions then 1027x768. And on Windows XP and OpenSuSE it _is_ possible. It makes no problems there.

But the current Ubuntu begins with 800x600 and I can not change the resolution in Ubuntu to a higher one. I can only change to a lower resolution there.

My computer is two years old. But my monitor over 10 years. So I have heard, that it is possible, that the Operating System "ask" the monitor what resolution it can.

But why can not change to a higer one. I have only used the "change Screen resoluition" in the menu under "Preferences" or how it is called.

With OpenSuSE it is also possible to set the resolution at the beginning, before booting Linux. In the GRUB menu, there I can choose the resolution. Why is it not possible with Ubuntu.
In other areas Ubuntu looks very nice. But with a resolution of 800x600 it is nearly useless for me.

theuserbl

PS: hopefully this is the right forum.
It is a hardware-problem. But I have not a Laptop, its a Desktop-PC.

icanfly0307
November 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hi there,
Are you using Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10? If you're using 8.10, then I'd recommend that you get rid of it and install 8.04 instead. Ubuntu 8.10 has a new "convenience" feature for screen resolutions that doesn't work most of the time. I've tried upgrading to 8.10 but I immediatley went back to 8.04. Sorry if this doesn't answer your question or doesn't help but unless you are ready to spend hours fixing this simple problem, you're in for a long night...

poetstorm
November 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Same here. I have an ACER Aspire laptop and Ubuntu 8.10 looked horrible. It was all snowy and fuzzy. Followed some instructions to change a file to enter the resolution but for some reason Ubuntu did not use it and it still looked horrible. Looked it up on the net and it seems 8.04 is still the way to go. I do hope the bug is fixed in 8.10 but until then, I would use 8.04.

Persistence
November 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I just installed 8.10 on my asus m2npv-vm which has an onboard geforce video card with dvi outputs. I couldn't install (got a black screen with DVI and unreadable screen with vga) until I put my at radeon x1950 pro in and I have yet to see if there are driver updates for my motherboard.