PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't boot to desktop after install

pmwhite
November 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hi

I am new to ubuntu. I installed it last week. Took 3 tries to install but it finally installed after I installed another 256MB RAM (now I have 512). Ok, so now the install goes smoothly and I am asked to remove the CD and reboot. I do but I never get to the desktop. I get an orange backgrounded screen that then goes black and and linux version of an hourglass (I guess, its a circle that has dots on it ?) Sometimes I don't get that far the screen just goes dark after selecting generic ubuntu version. I have tried to go to recovery mode, I can get there fine and run all the different options, doesn't help me boot up. I ran a memory test (its another option I have at startup) Everything is fine.

Is this supposed to be this complicated ? I realise its a free OS but if it doesn't work then its useless to me. lol

My PC is an old computer that was built as a kit in 98. It has a 40GB hard drive, nothing attached to it and an Intel MB.

zenkoanlife
November 26th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I'm having the exact same problem, except it's after an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 ... if you're using 8.10 (the latest version) you might try 8.04 which has worked great for me since ummm 4/08 ;-)

pmwhite
December 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Well this is great. No ideas ? This cant be too complicated. Can it ?

miniyak
December 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
i had this problem upgrading to intrepid ibex from hardy on my dell dimension2350. i ended up going back to hardy also. i suggest starting in recovery mode (at the grub boot screen on startup, if you have a full install you have to hit the esc key after your bios screen to enter it, )to see if it works then, at the time i didn't think of this so idk if it works. you might be able to get in that way however i dont think thats a good permanent solution (though its what im doing now for a similar problem) it would be nice to see more insight on this problem. Personally i think it might be a problem with hardware compliance so if you guys could post more info about your hardware, that might help others that might know about this issue. sorry i couldn't be of more help