PDA

View Full Version : OS's or Linux distros that others are useing?

gs.linxusr08
November 26th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Just wondering what other OS's or Linux distros others are useing besides Ubuntu at home or work on what and why.

Me, I am Downloading Fedora10 live CD as I type.
I have tried Solaris 10,Zenwalk,Linpus,Mint,and gOS in the past.

I like mint and gOs witch I know essentially is Ubuntu anyway but I am sticking with Xfce Xbuntu for my 2.20 Ghz single core amd64 3800 pc and Gnome Ubuntu on my 2.50 Ghz Phenom X4 9850 both are dual booted with Windows Xp sp3 on one and Vista 64 sp1 on the quad.

So far I have had the best experiences with Ubuntu and the community has been great and a big help In learning, but just can't resist trying a new or updated distro.

bruce89
November 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Even I find myself liking Fedora quite a bit nowadays, but I see their non-core packages are a bit old (such as GRAMPS). This is what Debian (and by proxy, Ubuntu) is good at.

__Ryan__
November 26th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I have always liked Gentoo. It's on he opposite side of the spectrum from Ubuntu as it lets you see the guts of the operating system.

It has a great package management system called Portage that builds everything from source specifically for your architecture.

It isn't the easiest distribution out of the gate to learn but if you have the pateience you will have a very tuned system and learn a lot about Linux.

AndyCooll
November 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Well, you can always check by browsing through another section of these forums dedicated to this sort of thing: Other OS Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147)

:cool:

Zaraphrax
November 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I've used every variation and version of Ubuntu since Dapper. But at school we also used Fedora (from version 4 onwards I think, up until version 7). I personally have tinkered with Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux, Vector Linux, Zenwalk and ye olde Red Hat 7. Although, I've never done as much with them as I have with Ubuntu. I've really only used them for a specific purpose, not as a general use OS (or, just installed them in Virtualbox just to try them out for lulz).

I like Ubuntu the most in general though. :P It definitely works the best, and there isn't any sense in going to any other distro. Not to mention the support you get from the userbase, it's just uncomparable. You have a problem, you post here, and more often than not within an hour, it's fixed. Even if Ubuntu is considered the distro with training wheels, why would I use Slackware or Gentoo over Ubuntu? You can do everything you need with Ubuntu, without the huge headache of more power-user orientated distros. The only other distro I see myself using in the near future is Arch. I've heard good things, and maybe I'll install it one day as a boredom killer if I need something different.

Ub1476
November 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Arch Linux is quite awesome :)

But Fedora10 is also very interesting..

Zaraphrax
November 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM

But Fedora10 is also very interesting..

Is it better than version 9? Although I never got around to testing it out, I heard it was a huge fail.....

bruce89
November 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Interestingly, I couldn't even figure out how to install that one.

gs.linxusr08
November 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Tried to dual-boot zenwalk with Xp what a mess
Had to nuke the hard drive.

Jengajam2
November 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I use Debian time-to-time on older computers, and I've tried PC-BSD, Gentoo, Vector Linux, DSL, Puppy,and Slitaz.

Ub1476
November 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Well Arch is extremely fast and keep things simiple. That's why I like to use it. Also it's a rolling-release.

I've never used either version of Fedora, but just looked at the changelog. Plymouth and such. I tried Fedora 10 in Virtualbox though, and it looks clean and good. Don't like the simple Nautilus version though. I might install it the day there isn't so much closed drivers around.

bruce89
November 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I tried Fedora 10 in Virtualbox though, and it looks clean and good. Don't like the simple Nautilus version though.

gconf: /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser. The "simple mode" is the default GNOME setting for some reason that evades me.