PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updating at insanely slow speed!

Alfx
November 26th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Im trying to update my unbuntu to 8.1, its SUPER UBER SLOW.

Like I dont know, 100b/seconds.

Its not my router or my internet since everything else is working fine.

What's going on and how do I fix this!?

robert shearer
November 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I had a problem doing a regular update (56Mb) to Hardy 8.04 yesterday.
Very sloooowwww.

Other sites seemed fine so I cancelled the update and tried again later.

All went well 2nd time around so it must have been something to do with the servers or mirror.

Try again later and see how it goes.

EricDallal
November 29th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I've been having the same problem. But for me, it started quite a while ago (months ago). The update starts extremely slow, some don't work at all, but eventually it usually speeds up a bit. Today, it didn't speed up, and with 45MB for new linux headers, it is simply not possible to do the update at this speed (ETA was at some obscene number of days).

frankleeee
November 29th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Go to soft ware sources choose other and let your computer find the fastest server.

robert shearer
November 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I've been having the same problem. But for me, it started quite a while ago (months ago). The update starts extremely slow, some don't work at all, but eventually it usually speeds up a bit. Today, it didn't speed up, and with 45MB for new linux headers, it is simply not possible to do the update at this speed (ETA was at some obscene number of days).

Months ago???? perhaps you need to take some action.:(

Is it a result of being on dial-up?
Is there a Local Linux users group in your area? (google 'Linux user group" and your town to see)

If so then someone there will be using Ubuntu and downloading the updates for their machine.

So a) use the aptoncd application to obtain a cd of updates from them.Just give them a cd-rw and they can burn the updates onto it for you.

or b) check with them the configuration they are using for their network manager and see if it is the same as yours. If not then they may be able to help you resolve your download woes.:)

Modax42
November 30th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I'm having the same problem. I just installed 8.10, and I had to download 126 (!) updates. It was agonizingly slow at the beginning, but now, many hours later, it has gotten up to speed, and it shouldn't take much longer.

What they should do is have some kind of system for distributing updates via bittorrent. That way, the larger the community gets, the faster that upgrades can be downloaded.

lametike
November 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM
maybe u all can try to wait for the free cd if it is that SLOW...

lametike
November 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM
but if it isi the updates...too bad..worst for all desktops...

EricDallal
December 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks. I think that worked. Not certain, since the only update I downloaded was 212k, but it downloaded in under a second. I think the problem is that I was downloading from servers in Vancouver or something like that.