PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Grub

tsucol11
November 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I want to install 8.10 server on a 250 gig external USB drive. Drive would probably be /dev/sdc as I have 2 internal SATA drives on the machine.

I do not want grub on the main HD (sda /hda). Will grub install on the usb drive or does it default to the first HD? I know that I have a choice with the desktop version but uncertain as to the server edition. In my case having grub on the first drive is not an option (divorce issue ;-) )

Thank you

Brian

psusi
November 26th, 2008, 03:58 AM
The livecd always installs it to sda. You should be able to use the alternate cd and choose not to install grub at all during the installation, then go install it on the external drive yourself. Or just let the livecd do its thing then use your windows cd and the fixmbr command to remove grub from the internal disk after.

tsucol11
November 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks, I did a reinstall onto vmware and noticed that Grub was installed automatically.

I will keep your post.

Brian

The livecd always installs it to sda. You should be able to use the alternate cd and choose not to install grub at all during the installation, then go install it on the external drive yourself. Or just let the livecd do its thing then use your windows cd and the fixmbr command to remove grub from the internal disk after.

ibutho
November 26th, 2008, 10:59 PM

If you click on the advanced tab using the live cd, you get an option on where to install grub.

tsucol11
December 3rd, 2008, 07:11 AM
If you click on the advanced tab using the live cd, you get an option on where to install grub.

I'll check it out.

Thank you

Brian