PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 Alternate install freezes

jjmono987
November 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Hey i need some help here, my alternate version of ubuntu i downloaded and put on a cd freezes when i boot the disk and when i hit "Install Ubuntu" it just freezes right there on the screen and i have to shut it down. My Pc has 256 MB of ram which is needed to run the cd which i think is enough. and a 40 GB HDD. I know its old im getting a new one maybe. but i need some help if anyone has an alternate CD that u used with my ram size then idk if its the ISO i downloaded or its just the alternate version. SO if you have some help please post it.

jjmono987

cariboo
November 26th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Try safe graphics mode, which you can select by pressing F4 at the menu screen, or try some of the options available by pressing F6 if that doesn't work.

Jim

jjmono987
November 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
ummmm wat?

andrew.mckevitt
November 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I have a couple of old laptops where ubuntu 'refused' to play, both have 256MB ram, On the compaq I added more memory, unbuntu then installed but booted really slowly. This was six months ago with hardy.
Since then I've installed LinuxMint 'Elyssa' on both laptops without a problem and am impressed at how well it runs.
LinuxMint (http://www.linuxmint.com/) is based on ubuntu and there's a version with all the codecs already installed for you. Works with a Belkin pcmcia wireless card too. Depends how 'alternate' you want to go.
The compaq is now the base to my home server with a 1TG HD and still running 'Elyssa'. The other laptop still only has 256MB ram and is just a back up. I normally use a Dell Inspiron 6400 running Hardy.
If you have no luck with Ubuntu, then try Linuxmint instead.

Oh yes, Xubuntu installed and ran ok on the 256MB (sony), but it lacked the functionality I needed.

jjmono987
November 28th, 2008, 06:52 PM
ummm ok well i want 8.10 of ubuntu and i think the alternate might not work because of the speed i wrote it to the disc. but i need help with ubuntu but thanks though