PDA

View Full Version : Does using Linux make you a happier person?

phrostbyte
November 25th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I am just curious on people thoughts on this. Do you actually attain a level of happiness by using Linux?

There is an old saying from somewhere
"Freedom is doing what you want, doing what you want is happiness."

So a second question, if Linux indeed makes you happier, do you think it's free (as in freedom) nature contributes to this?

Thanks.

damis648
November 25th, 2008, 11:39 PM
YES. No more BSOD blues. :-)

Koori23
November 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
No. It's a computer. Unless it's something funny I'm watching/reading online..

mkrahmeh
November 25th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I am just curious on people thoughts on this. Do you actually attain a level of happiness by using Linux?

yes..

So a second question, if Linux indeed makes you happier, do you think it's free (as in freedom) nature contributes to this?

partially yes..am not fully exploiting the power of it's freedom
but am happy with what it has to offer..

andrew.mckevitt
November 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM

Thanks.

No to the second question, I am happier from using Linux because it has freed me from microsoft and given me a choice. It's was hard work, but worth it, I now know how my pc works.
I am happier in using Linux because it gave me knowledge.

Sealbhach
November 26th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Yes, I enjoy using my computer now, rather than getting angry and frustrated.

s.fox
November 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Linux doesn't make me happy or sad. Its just an OS at the end of the day. Like others have said it all depends on what I am doing with the computer. If I watched a movie then the OS would have no effect on my overall happiness. Its all about what you are doing...

JohnFH
November 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yes ...
... I'm free to build a PC from scratch without having to buy a separate OS licence.
... I really enjoy the freedom to explore the capability of my system and learn how to use it properly without having to buy extra software to do it (eg. partitioning software, server functionality, image manipulation, media server fun, a whole host of other stuff).
... the open source community (or maybe it's just Ubuntu?!) is friendly to me and very helpful.

No ...
... I spend too much of my spare time learning Linux than I do actually using it. However that is my choice and I really enjoy doing it.
... there are many things I dislike about the Linux community - preaching it and the hatred of Windows and Mac OS users.
... it's annoying sometimes when people immediately look down on Linux as a geek's toy.

(There's a common theme here - why can't people be more accepting of each other and respect what they have to say?).

Furthermore, if you want me to get deep and philosophical about happiness then I can say that my main source of happiness is not Linux (that would be very sad indeed), not even my family, but from God. I'm not quite sure you wanted me to go that deep though. :)

handy
November 26th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Not using windows makes me a happier person.

Being a part of the Linux community is a fringe benefit. :-)

[Edit:] & yes using Linux does bring my satisfaction & adds to my day to day happiness.

I have Arch/Xfce setup to be almost perfect for me at the moment, which may be the first time in over 23 years of computing any OS/distro' has been there. :-D

eternalnewbee
November 26th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Most definitely.

Only parly.

Vadi
November 26th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Thanks.

1) yes
2) no (unless you count that this helped make a better os, then I guess yes. but personally I do not care too much, open-source exists on windows too)

mobilediesel
November 26th, 2008, 01:49 AM
No to the second question, I am happier from using Linux because it has freed me from microsoft and given me a choice. It's was hard work, but worth it, I now know how my pc works.
I am happier in using Linux because it gave me knowledge.

That's totally my reason for being happier with Linux. There's definitely a steep learning curve with Linux but once you start getting used to the way it works, you wonder "Why doesn't Windows do it this way?"

Also, being free software, Linux stopped me from pirating software. Any time I think of a type of program I want, it's in the repositories 99.9% of the time. The other 0.1% of the time I can find a .deb package.

handy
November 26th, 2008, 02:57 AM
you wonder "Why doesn't Windows do it this way?"

MS needed the registry to make it impossible for people to lift a directory holding an application in it off of the computer & then copying it onto another computer for use. This would make the windows more profitable for the MS software manufacturer customers & OEM's, including MS with their own app's like Office being also spread throughout the \System & the overcomplicated horror of the registry.

Wonderful spin off's of this design made the wondrous haven for virus & malware that the registry is, as well as causing most of the instability that windows has been renowned for due to registry corruption (system slow down due to accumulated growth of the registry being another side effect), eventually band-aided by system restore which came with the MS wonder of windows ME! <cough!> Though never repaired.

-grubby
November 26th, 2008, 03:22 AM
No.

zmjjmz
November 26th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Using my setup makes me a happier person, and Linux happens to be part of my setup.

Rokurosv
November 26th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Yes, specially after doing something that was hard and turned out ok. Well I like the fact that Linux is free, as in speech of course, and I think is one of the things that makes me happy about it.

doyouhas
November 26th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Windows makes you a miserable person; Windows and Linux are basically polar opposites; therefore Linux should make you a REALLY happy person.

handy
November 26th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Windows makes you a miserable person; Windows and Linux are basically polar opposites; therefore Linux should make you a REALLY happy person.

There certainly has been a time or two where I have spent days & not got a solution with Linux. You always learn more in those circumstances but it is nice not to have to give up due to a hardware anomaly. I used to fix windows machines (hardware/software) for a living, & sometimes you could get a really strange set of circumstances where 20 hours or so could be added to what should have been a 4 hour job.

All in all I think it is definitely possible to spend more time going nowhere under Linux. That is due to the large range of distro's & how one will & another won't work properly with the same hardware setup.

The hardware problems seem to be becoming less as time goes by, or maybe my view is skewed by limited personal experience?

Rokurosv
November 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM
There certainly has been a time or two where I have spent days & not got a solution with Linux. You always learn more in those circumstances but it is nice not to have to give up due to a hardware anomaly. I used to fix windows machines (hardware/software) for a living, & sometimes you could get a really strange set of circumstances where 20 hours or so could be added to what should have been a 4 hour job.

All in all I think it is definitely possible to spend more time going nowhere under Linux. That is due to the large range of distro's & how one will & another won't work properly with the same hardware setup.

The hardware problems seem to be becoming less as time goes by, or maybe my view is skewed by limited personal experience?

No the hardware issue can make some people very unhappy using Linux. Some of my friends were mad about their wifi cards, printers, scanners, etc. It's not a pleasant ride for everyone, but things are starting to change, since more and more hardware is getting supported, the problem is if the distro supports it out of the box.

karellen
November 26th, 2008, 07:33 AM
no. there's more to life than happiness given by using a particularly OS

Ub1476
November 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM
When the hardware works (which it does quite often), it's less stressful than Window, so yes.

Chilli Bob
November 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Yes. With Linux using a PC has become a hobby again, rather than just a tool.

(If you weren't there in the early eighties, programming in Basic with a massive 8k ram, you missed the happiest days of computing.)

Capt. Mac
November 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM
no. there's more to life than happiness given by using a particularly OS

Obviously there's more to life than one's OS choice, but this doesn't mean that you shouldn't appreciate simple pleasures like enjoying the OS you choose. I believe that using Linux makes me a happier person because I use my computer a lot and I enjoy learning about what makes it tick, something that isn't really possible when using Windows.

starcannon
November 26th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I don't know that using Linux makes me happy, but I do know that not spending my weekends killing viruses or fixing a registry does not make me angry :)

So I answered "I don't know", but I will clarify a bit by saying that Linux makes computing enjoyable for me :)

halovivek
November 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Using Linux i am doing research of Linux itself. good one:lolflag:

lakersforce
November 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Do you actually attain a level of happiness by using Linux?

In a limited way, but yes.

Most definitely. If this was not the case, why would I switch from Windows?

bhuvi
November 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM
world of linux is different

miggols99
November 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Yes it does. I don't have to worry about viruses, and the open source software makes me feel a lot safer because you would be able to look inside it and see if it's doing anything strange.

jomiolto
November 26th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Not really. Using Linux does save me from a lot of frustration and even anger because it works very well for me and suits my needs, but I wouldn't say that just using the system makes me happy. I'd rather say that it makes me "less unhappy" :)

This freedom, on the other hand, is something that does make me happy. Seeing people freely and selflessly sharing things they've put a lot of their time on, for others to benefit from them, is something that makes me feel pleasantly warm inside. I think there is a certain sense of philanthropy and equality in the idea of free software, that you will never find in proprietary software, because free software is for everyone and not just for those with deep enough pockets.

I also think that the communality is important and something that generally makes people happier. With proprietary software people are usually split into those who develop the software and to those who consume it, while with free software people have much better chance at participating in the development -- sending bug reports and ideas for enhancements; making changes to the software themselves (not necessarily code, but also the artwork, etc.); writing documentation, translations and tutorials; creating forums and other user networks; etc. Of course, this same thing also applies to many other things, like books, music and other forms of art, and isn't even limited to things with "free" license. But the freedom is an important aspect of such communities, because it means that changes can be shared with other people without fear of litigation.

But now I'm starting to ramble, sorry... :)

Thanks.

No, thank you for reminding me of this great fact about freedom :)

cmay
November 26th, 2008, 09:23 AM
yes it does. i have since the first computer i had always hated computers but when i found linux and open source i found something i could believe in. so it makes me happy to use linux.

ComputerHermit
November 26th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Linux Ubuntu makes me happy this distro is great or Linux is GRRRRRRate Fu M$ or wate Windows 7 needs a Quad and 8 gigs of RAM so it can run all that eye candy also it can run like regular Windows HAHAHA what a nightmare wateing to happen ty M$ for keeping it going

toupeiro
November 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Modern day Linux OSes do the best job of ANY OS in my personal opinion of being simplistic, efficient, and functional without being insultingly dumbed down. And, when I do want to roll my sleeves up and do something technical, there is not near as much fluff to go through. There are plenty of things in my life that makes me happy. That is amongst them.

TFX360
November 26th, 2008, 09:39 AM
It makes me happy, it makes me sad, just as Windows. Dual-Head monitor support makes me sad. Compiz makes me happy. Propriarty makes me sad. FOSS makes me happy and so on.

hellion0
November 26th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I am just curious on people thoughts on this. Do you actually attain a level of happiness by using Linux?Actually, yes. I'm happy when things tend to work right, and I'm also happy to get the occasional challenge. Some of them tend to annoy me, but others help to to learn, and that's something I actually like doing.

So a second question, if Linux indeed makes you happier, do you think it's free (as in freedom) nature contributes to this?In some ways. There's definitely less stress because I don't have to worry about being restricted. There's also less stress because I don't have to worry about where I'm going to get the money for software or worry about getting caught pirating it.

Yay for less hassle, in other words.

TFX360
November 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Hail to GNU, GNU Not Unix and Stallman.

sn0m
November 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Linux is naughty, it flirts and competes highly for attention, hence the odd remark from your other half that you can sleep with your laptop tonight....:)

brunovecchi
November 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM
It makes me happy by staying out of my way and doing what I tell it to.

Yesterday I had to fix problems of a friend's Windows computer; it was like the OS had taken over and was struggling with me not to let go! Popups, the icon tray was filled with rubbish, programs would update themselves carelessly without permission... madness.

Luckily, I'm back with Tux over here. Good boy, here's a fish head. **pat pat**.

Sand & Mercury
November 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM
No. It's a computer. Unless it's something funny I'm watching/reading online..
This:KS

jomiolto
November 26th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Linux is naughty, it flirts and competes highly for attention, hence the odd remark from your other half that you can sleep with your laptop tonight....:)

Now, that makes me wonder what would happen if your other half was also a Linux geek? :p

Chame_Wizard
November 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
i am happy for 18 months now :lolflag:.

EdThaSlayer
November 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM
It makes me so happy I sometimes feel like I'm not human anymore. I have become something more, something more free, something not chained by the laws that have governed us, and forced us, into living in a system where mundane repetitive lives are so affluent.